I think this is Ick

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My McCosker just had they white dots/bumps show up on him. I think this is Ick but wanted a second opinion. If it is, what should we do. We do not have a quarantine tank. I couldn't get a good shot of it, but they are especially bad on tail fin.
IMG_3813.JPG
IMG_3815.JPG
IMG_3814.JPG

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is maybe a month old. I just added a Lyretail Anthias yesterday along with an octopus frogspawn. He has no signs of Ick. With no quarantine tank should I take the wrasse out to try and save the other fish?

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is there any chance it has no spread to the other fish yet? Holy Moly, 76 days with no fish in aquarium.....

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is maybe a month old. I just added a Lyretail Anthias yesterday along with an octopus frogspawn. He has no signs of Ick. With no quarantine tank should I take the wrasse out to try and save the other fish?

It looks a little small to be ick, but it's difficult to tell at this point. Taking the wrasse out will not spare the others from ick or velvet... doesn't matter which one.... if one has it, they all have it.
Also, is there any chance it has no spread to the other fish yet? Holy Moly, 76 days with no fish in aquarium.....

Once it's in the tank, they are all infected. I"m sorry :(

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
none of the other fish have any white spots on them currently, it is only the wrasse. It seems strange that adding the Anthia yesterday would result in the Wrasse being covered in Ick, while the anthias doesn't have any signs. I feel like I need to do something. Should I just wait and see what happens?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
none of the other fish have any white spots on them currently, it is only the wrasse. It seems strange that adding the Anthia yesterday would result in the Wrasse being covered in Ick, while the anthias doesn't have any signs. I feel like I need to do something. Should I just wait and see what happens?

That's up to you and what you can manage. You should take them out for QT and leave the tank fallow.... but that's up to you. You can leave them and see what happens, but it's not going to solve anything in the long run.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's up to you and what you can manage. You should take them out for QT and leave the tank fallow.... but that's up to you. You can leave them and see what happens, but it's not going to solve anything in the long run.
X2. They all have it now. Ich management can and generally is a ticking time bomb..

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience using ginger powder to treat ick? I'm looking online and it seems some reefers have had great success.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The quick timeline of events suggests this could be Marine Velvet instead. Watch all your fish for behavioral symptoms listed here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights went out a bit ago, but the dots looked more like individual specs, rather than a "dusting". Good to know there is a second horrible disease that could possibly explain the spots.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience using ginger powder to treat ick? I'm looking online and it seems some reefers have had great success.

Ginger has zero effect on ick, velvet or any other disease. There will be a few that claim results, but what has actually happened is their fish developed a temporary immunity to it (that only applies to ick not velvet). They enter what we call an "ick management" way of reefing. It's in the system, the fish sometimes show a sign of it, but they rarely succumb. This doesn't happen for everybody and they often run into a situation like the electricity going out, a heater failure, electrical current in the tank ect... that leads to the fish succumbing to the parasite. If it's velvet, it's more likely that most of the fish will die regardless of your superb fish keeping skills.

I'm hoping that we are wrong in thinking this might be velvet. If it's ick, then you could probably keep chugging along for a while without much problem (depending on the fish you have), but it will become a problem sooner or later. I know this all sounds dour and terrible.... I'm sorry for that. We only want you to know the facts so you can make the best choice for you and your tank.

Here's some info about ick management and how to do that. Ich eradication vs. Ich management

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this work?- Could I pull my fish/corals out of the tank. put the fish/coral in a container with a powerhead and heater for a day. Heat the tank to 90 degrees for an hour or so to kill the ick. cool it, reintroduce the coral to the tank. Then add a copper based medication to the container the fish are in to kill any ick they are caring?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this work?- Could I pull my fish/corals out of the tank. put the fish/coral in a container with a powerhead and heater for a day. Heat the tank to 90 degrees for an hour or so to kill the ick. cool it, reintroduce the coral to the tank. Then add a copper based medication to the container the fish are in to kill any ick they are caring?

This is what you need to do to fix the problem: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-cryptocaryon-irritans.191226/

To sterilize a tank of ich using heat, you would need to achieve 40C (104F) for 1 hr. However, this process will also kill all life in your DT - including the nitrifying bacteria which keeps it cycled. So, you're better off just going fallow for 76 days than trying to recycle a tank.

The fish themselves will need to be treated with copper for 30 days in a QT.

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, this isn't going to be easy. Thanks for the help/information. I have a JBJ nanocube 24 that I upgrade from that I was going to sell on Craigslist, but I guess it could be repurposed to a hospital tank.

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HA! auto changes stuff, might have used a word other than "dang". For the best...

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, this isn't going to be easy. Thanks for the help/information. I have a JBJ nanocube 24 that I upgrade from that I was going to sell on Craigslist, but I guess it could be repurposed to a hospital tank.

I had ich problems before. What u need to do is take all fish from ur dt into a qt and treat with copper for 2-3weeks and then let the tank fallow for 2months+ and put the fish back in. That's what I did to mine hopefully it works for u. Also feeding the fish with garlic can also prevent ich in the future.

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this morning all the ick, or "ick", is no longer on the wrasse. Maybe 1 single dot right on his head. I am now wondering if the specs were actually bits of sand that got stuck to him? I have a white sand bed and grains stuck to him would have looked like ick. Also, I fed cyclops yesterday which might have stuck to him, giving the appearance of ick. Strange that virtually all the ick is off him and none of the other fish have a single spec on them. Maybe I'm just being optimistic...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back