I think this is Ick

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this morning all the ick, or "ick", is no longer on the wrasse. Maybe 1 single dot right on his head. I am now wondering if the specs were actually bits of sand that got stuck to him? I have a white sand bed and grains stuck to him would have looked like ick. Also, I fed cyclops yesterday which might have stuck to him, giving the appearance of ick. Strange that virtually all the ick is off him and none of the other fish have a single spec on them. Maybe I'm just being optimistic...

Ich will fell off of fish go to ur sand bed and reproduce then they're gonna float around ur tank and find a host.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ich problems before. What u need to do is take all fish from ur dt into a qt and treat with copper for 2-3weeks and then let the tank fallow for 2months+ and put the fish back in. That's what I did to mine hopefully it works for u. Also feeding the fish with garlic can also prevent ich in the future.
Treatment should be 30 full days in copper at therapeutic levels. and the fallow period should be 76 days. Feeding garlic will not do anything to prevent ick in the future... only proper QT on all wet livestock will do that.
this morning all the ick, or "ick", is no longer on the wrasse. Maybe 1 single dot right on his head. I am now wondering if the specs were actually bits of sand that got stuck to him? I have a white sand bed and grains stuck to him would have looked like ick. Also, I fed cyclops yesterday which might have stuck to him, giving the appearance of ick. Strange that virtually all the ick is off him and none of the other fish have a single spec on them. Maybe I'm just being optimistic...

Definitely not sand. It's part of the lifecycle (as mentioned above) and they will be back after reproducing.

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so you were right. The white specs have come back. No doubt it is ich :eek:.

I have a few questions in setting up my hospital tank.
Right now I have 6 fish, McCosker wrasse, 2 clownfish, royal gramma, lyretail anthias, yellow watchman. My extra tank is a 24 nanocube. I'm very worried about ammonia levels with 6 fish in a 24 gallon since I'm guessing the copper treatment will wipe out the bacteria populations. Can I keep this many fish going by doing daily water changes of a couple gallons? I have a trip scheduled for the Dec 30- Jan 8th. I will not be able to do water changes during this time, so I think ammonia will be lethal to the fish over this time period. The other option would be to wait until I get back on the 8th, then transfer the fish to the nano. I'm wondering if it is too dangerous to leave the fish in the tank with ich for the next month? Could I feed garlic with the food for the next month as a "band aid" until I can monitor the hospital tank properly? Thanks!

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I think I've learned my lesson from not having a QT or dipping my coral. :mad: Being a lazy reefer is not worth the risk!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so you were right. The white specs have come back. No doubt it is ich :eek:.

I have a few questions in setting up my hospital tank.
Right now I have 6 fish, McCosker wrasse, 2 clownfish, royal gramma, lyretail anthias, yellow watchman. My extra tank is a 24 nanocube. I'm very worried about ammonia levels with 6 fish in a 24 gallon since I'm guessing the copper treatment will wipe out the bacteria populations. Can I keep this many fish going by doing daily water changes of a couple gallons? I have a trip scheduled for the Dec 30- Jan 8th. I will not be able to do water changes during this time, so I think ammonia will be lethal to the fish over this time period. The other option would be to wait until I get back on the 8th, then transfer the fish to the nano. I'm wondering if it is too dangerous to leave the fish in the tank with ich for the next month? Could I feed garlic with the food for the next month as a "band aid" until I can monitor the hospital tank properly? Thanks!
The nitrifying bacteria should be just fine while treating with copper.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrifying bacteria should be just fine while treating with copper.

^^ This. But is the Nano Cube already setup & established with bacteria? Or will it need an instant cycle via a bacteria in a bottle product?

OP
OP
Sarah007

Sarah007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nano is currently sitting empty in the garage.
Here is my plan- add mostly water from the display to fill the 24 gallon. I've got a few filter pads in the display I'll be moving over to nano to transfer some bacteria. Also, in the back of my fusion I've got a "pod hotel" made of live rock rubble- I'd say a few pounds of it that I'll move to the new tank as well to get the bacteria population going. I'll move the pod hotel back to my main tank before I dose copper since I don't want to "ruin" my rock rubble. Good plan?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my plan- add mostly water from the display to fill the 24 gallon. I've got a few filter pads in the display I'll be moving over to nano to transfer some bacteria. Also, in the back of my fusion I've got a "pod hotel" made of live rock rubble- I'd say a few pounds of it that I'll move to the new tank as well to get the bacteria population going. I'll move the pod hotel back to my main tank before I dose copper since I don't want to "ruin" my rock rubble. Good plan?
Sounds like a very good plan.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a solid plan. I would think, if you started it up tonight with the fish in by tonight or tomorrow, then you could be fairly confident in your QT being stable in two weeks when you leave. Of course, this totally depends on the tank and all that.... cause you know every single one is different, even QT's. Garlic won't help your fish much at all besides helping fatten them up (making them-maybe-more hungry and eating a bit more). You could start feeding them with vitamins instead (vitachem, Selcon ect) and that will help them boost their immune systems.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back