I want a Goby

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, im starting my first saltwater tank and I got 2 clownfish that are in a QT yesterday. I have 20gallon tank as my Display and wanted to add a goby with the clownfish, but the guy at the LFS was telling me that the one that will eat for the sand and move sand around will get too big for my 20 gallon. So do you guys have any recommendations for gongs for a 2o gallon?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, im starting my first saltwater tank and I got 2 clownfish that are in a QT yesterday. I have 20gallon tank as my Display and wanted to add a goby with the clownfish, but the guy at the LFS was telling me that the one that will eat for the sand and move sand around will get too big for my 20 gallon. So do you guys have any recommendations for gongs for a 2o gallon?

Most watchman type gobies are a good fit for a 20 gallon, so yellow and gray watchmans, yasha, wheeler's, aurora and randall's gobies which are all pretty common. Don't get a blue-spotted goby (darker grey colored with a black spot on it's dorsal fin) since they get pretty big. All of the gobies I mentioned will also pair with a pistol shrimp so you will have two critters sifting the sand albeit the shrimp will mostly stay in a single area around its burrow. The yellow watchman gobies I have had will move around the tank and sand sift elsewhere a little.

The gobies your LFS guy was talking about where diamond, gold-headed, tiger, and any other members of the sleeper goby family. They do get pretty big and make a huge mess in smaller tanks.

Bob3655

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clown gobies are pretty cool for smaller tanks and they dont make a mess that some of the sand sifting gobies do. They like to perch on coral but if you have sps they will always go for the sps over anything else in your tank which makes me mad haha.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hectori and rainsford gobies are appropriate for a small tank. They are peaceful, eat hair algae, and sift some sand.

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ones I would recommend is Yasha Pair with Randall's Pistol Shrimp, Flaming Prawn Goby, Eviota Goby, Rainford Goby.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ones I would recommend is Yasha Pair with Randall's Pistol Shrimp, Flaming Prawn Goby, Eviota Goby, Rainford Goby.
Flaming prawn gobies are pretty rare and expensive, plus they only get 1.5" long at max and hide all the time. They do look cool though!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back