I will never again call magnificas delicate

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like fight club, when you think you've avoided a crisis in your reef tank, the first two rules are "don't talk about it" or as we all know - you will jinx it and it won't happen.

So now, I am about three weeks past disaster and two weeks past a crisis - so am probably far enough along that I can write about it in good conscience. But I’m still going to knock on wood.

Go back about six weeks ago, and I noticed that my mag isn't looking quite right. Not terrible, just not as robust as it usually does over the last couple of years I have had it. Here it was a couple weeks or so before the troubles began.
4827ECD3-1B91-4108-B999-FA0EC0C8767A.jpeg

At the same time, there was a significant outbreak of dinos in the tank and so I chalked it up to general irritation from those guys and I turn the UV on and don't think much else of it. Over the years I have learned not to make “adjustments” when my nems aren’t looking right – usually these just make any transient issue way worse than doing nothing.

Another 3-4 weeks of looking like 80-90% of its best self and it did a half deflate cycle – which is pretty much a “never” event so I go back to basics and manually test and confirm my parameters. On a paranoid note, I order refractometer calibration solution and double check my salinity and find that I am at 1.023 and probably have been for a good 6-8 weeks. I usually aim for something closer to 1.026 or 1.027 and I am not too strict about trying to keep it perfect. What had happened is not only was my refractometer off, but I skipped water changes in February and March and probably got lazy with not topping off with NSW when the skimmer cup was changed and so the ATO just kept doing its thing. So I do a big water change, siphon out what I can of the dinos, and the next couple days its looking fantastic again.

Here is where the series of unfortunate events begin.

So the mag is looking better and I decide to give it a usual feeding along with the carpets and it eats - no big deal. About two days later, I come home to find it 90% deflated – which is a dead give away for a bacterial infection. In retrospect, it had not been doing well for several weeks and was not in any position to take a meal in. When the nem isn’t cycling fresh tank water to flush waste products out of its system, never a good idea to feed it – and yet here I was, forgetting that lesson. Into the QT tank we go and Cipro starts that day.

The day after that - between the dinos and low SG, I notice that not only did my mag deflate but so now is my other long established gig in the same tank. Now I’m short on treatment tanks – let alone heaters and MP10s so the best option (which is less than ideal) is to treat them both in the same treatment tank. Now the gig and the mag are in the same 20G cube. Did I mention the mag is a solid 20” or so across? So the tank is a tight fit, but doable.

I keep the vortechs separated from the rest of treatment tank with egg crate panel and for reasons I cannot fathom – somehow the gig managed to squeeze a good part of its oral disk through the ½” opening in the egg crate and I come down to find a treatment tank that looked more like pea soup than sea water. So I do the water change and survey the damage - the gig lost probably a third of its oral disk but is alive. The mag was looking terrible, only partially inflating and with it’s mouth still gaping.

Both anemones are still sloughing mucous every day and expelling zoo, so water changes get ramped up to every 12 hours to keep the tank water mostly clear. At day 7, the gig is good to go back into the main display but the mag is till looking meh.

The mag gets to day 9 in treatment and the next problem hits. I come down to check on it in the morning and water is unusually cloudy. So I flip on the light go to change the water and when my hand hits the tank I almost throw up inside – its roughly the temperature of bath water, at 92. When I had put the heater back into the tank the night before (at probably 10PM or so just before bed) I rushed and didn’t lay the heater flat along the bottom the tank – instead the vortechs sloshed it until it was roughly vertical – and the thermostat in the heater must have been just above the waterline and the heater was stuck on for the better part of 8 hours. Now the problem is how quickly do I lower the temp? I am guessing temp shock from dropping too fast would be just as bad as being in too warm water. So over the next hour I drop the temp down to 78 and it doesn’t look good. The anemone has no shape and has the consistency of crepe paper. For sure, it’s done for I think – but I change out all the water and dose with Cipro and I expect to find a pile of mush when I come back 12 hours later.

That night, it’s not much better. In fact when I check on it – the siphonglyphs are totally flaccid and I can actually see the rock the mag is attached to through its mouth – not a good sign. But at this point I’ve come too far to pull it and so I change 100% water every 12 hours and re-dose with Cipro at every water change. Easily a couple hundred gallons of makeup water have been gone through by now. No real change in posture until day 10, when I come to find the anemone looking like this and I am stunned.
BB044E52-2E95-461B-A823-61DBE667466F.jpeg

That it had enough energy to muster up a tepid balling posture really gave me optimism for the first time that it might actually make it.

Another 4 days of treatment in Cipro and thanks to Metro and UV in the main display – the dinos are pretty much under control and back in the mag goes. That was about 10 days ago and not a single deflation since coming back to the display.

I can’t believe it survived, with all it went through it by rights SHOULDN’T have made it. When I have treated anemones (mostly gigs) in the past, usually in a day or two of Cipro they perk right up. It’s uncommon, but if they don’t bounce back after a couple of days in the antibiotic they usually don’t make it. This anemone (maybe due to it’s size) took a full 14 days of antibiotic before pulling through. My main regret is that I didn’t take more photos of how it looked in the process – but I had such little hope for it pulling through it didn’t occur to me. But there were times when it looked fully dead – and the foot didn’t appear “planted” just more “still stuck to the rock but more by accident”. So had there been any notion that it would actually make it, I would have documented by progress for all to see – but here we are.

Here she is as of today a little bleached and faded, but not too much the worse for wear.

Thanks for the read!

Last edited:

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! So glad you persevered and were rewarded for your efforts. Excellent read and thanks for sharing all the details.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tough animals.

Mine was decaying for over 6 months after a failed split attempt. It deflated and I moved it to a hospital tank with cipro. It split there and the next day I was going away for 4 days.

I decided to sacrifice the smaller clone which wasn't attaching and hope for the best.

When I returned it was ok and I returned it to the tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one heck of a rough ride for your Mag. It is a beautiful animal, I am really glad that it survived.
Good save.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great story and very glad they made it for you. How long have you had them? Any pictures from the main display that is not top down before the incident happened?

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gig, years. The mag was spring of 2019. Here’s the last FTS before I upgraded to the 5 foot tank and basement sump I have now. With the dinos and other assorted fun, not ready for a FTS of the current tank, but am getting closer to good shape after the reboot last fall. The FP on this tank was 48x30x16 - and you can see I was running out of space
1D932718-07AD-4ABB-B6BF-11BCD435220D.jpeg

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tough animals.

Mine was decaying for over 6 months after a failed split attempt. It deflated and I moved it to a hospital tank with cipro. It split there and the next day I was going away for 4 days.

I decided to sacrifice the smaller clone which wasn't attaching and hope for the best.

When I returned it was ok and I returned it to the tank.
Yeah that’s interesting - because that’s how I would describe what mine did over the last 4-6 weeks before it finally deflated. I kept thinking that doing something to it would be a bad idea and it would right itself if I were patient - but it was definitely losing body mass and in retrospect had an infection probably a mild one during that time.

One other thing to note is my Cipro dosing was closer to the 50mg/G range. My treatment water volume was often around 10G - and for the middle 10 days the whole 500mg pill would go in over a 12 hour period.

It’s really interesting to note how the body posture changes over the course of the day - when it was full of infection the Cipro would elicit a change in shape to be big and puffy, just looking very distended. But this overinflated look waned over the course of treatment; I’m assuming as the infection load improved. And as the water fouled at the end of each 12 hour cycle there was a different look to it as well. More shrunken down, you could see it wasn’t liking the water it was in. But maybe within an hour or so after new water would come in it would perk itself a bit.

I should have also mentioned that I took to using two tanks and always doing a wipe down of the walls and wet sides to clear all the slime. This seemed to really improve the ending water quality I would have before it was changed. Often when I would change out the water and add the antibiotic it would spew out the dead zoo and whatever else shortly thereafter. When using newly mixed saltwater there was definitely more irritation via mucous coming off the tentacles. I would often put the foam cover over one of the vortechs and then pull it a couple hours after the water change to get this crap out of the water. It’s like if the infection doesn’t kill the nem then the subpar QT conditions will so my idea was to keep the treatment volume lower and change it all 100% out as soon as it was fouled.

My jury is still out on using fresh mix versus tank water - I’ve typically used tank water for treatment of sick nems. But the dino problem I had in the display made me go the freshly mixed route. I very much suspect the dinos were as much a problem as the low SG in the tank. My couple SPS were super unhappy as well - I even lost an juvi emperor which is basically unheard of in my tanks. I’ve not had a sudden “just died” event in ages. More irritation with fresh mix water for sure, but it would seem logical that more sterile water should boost the efficacy of whatever antibiotic you’re running.

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one heck of a rough ride for your Mag. It is a beautiful animal, I am really glad that it survived.
Good save.
Thanks, Minh. Even I thought it was a goner - and have seen several threads of folks posting their experiences. Hopefully anyone coming after will see to keep treating even when they think it’s a lost cause. And that the stability of the QT is everything in treatment. It’s the small things that will get you in QT.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing! This was a great read, not just for the happy ending, but it provided a lot of good info too. I can't believe it made it. Couple of questions.

If you had not fed the mag, do you think it would have been ok? What do you think the partial deflation indicates?

What made you keep at the treatment all the way to Day 14? At day 7, if there's no more inflation, I would usually think the anemone is done for.

Bravo for persisting! I am now inspired to keep at treatment for a bit longer :)

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing! This was a great read, not just for the happy ending, but it provided a lot of good info too. I can't believe it made it. Couple of questions.

If you had not fed the mag, do you think it would have been ok? What do you think the partial deflation indicates?

What made you keep at the treatment all the way to Day 14? At day 7, if there's no more inflation, I would usually think the anemone is done for.

Bravo for persisting! I am now inspired to keep at treatment for a bit longer :)
The feeding definitely precipitated the infection going critical. I'd say 70/30 against needing treatment had I not fed it. Was a boneheaded decision to feed; when they haven't been looking right or are newly acclimating feeding is such a bad idea. My thinking was it was on the mend and a feeding would do it good, but I was wrong. And for the hundredth time - they don't need fed (steps off soapbox).

What made me keep going? Stubbornness. I have seen these color variants of mags around, albeit infrequently, and trying to find another one is a hit or miss kind of deal. Maybe I could get another this spring, maybe years before another one could be found. So my thinking was - by keeping treatment going I was only going to be out some more salt water and my vet (kindly) keeps me with a valid script for Cipro whenever I need, so I wasn't going to pull the plug until it was a pile of goo.

What got me past the non inflation is flow, I think. For context, toward the end of treatment I had one MP10 in a 10G tank running a wave at 100% intensity. The eggcrate knocked some of the flow down to be sure, but I hammered that thing with flow when it wasn't looking good. Probably the only good thing about leaving it on its rock while in treatment was that the high flow wouldn't flip it over.

Keep at it! Be militant about the water quality in treatment and you might be surprised ;)

Back