Ich, berghia, rehoming

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has ich, I'm currently practicing ich management as going fallow for 76 days failed (possibly because I'd added corals during that time).

My question is, I've bred berghia to clear up my aiptasia... can I safely give some berghia babies away if I did some type of SW rinse on them first? So as to avoid the recipients introducing ich to their tanks when adding my berghia babies? Is it possible to do a few rinses with newly made sw... then do some type of rinse using hydrogen peroxide?

Another question, how successful have people been at ich management with regal tangs? I just added one a few days ago and it now has ich...

Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My tank has ich, I'm currently practicing ich management as going fallow for 76 days failed (possibly because I'd added corals during that time).

My question is, I've bred berghia to clear up my aiptasia... can I safely give some berghia babies away if I did some type of SW rinse on them first? So as to avoid the recipients introducing ich to their tanks when adding my berghia babies? Is it possible to do a few rinses with newly made sw... then do some type of rinse using hydrogen peroxide?

Another question, how successful have people been at ich management with regal tangs? I just added one a few days ago and it now has ich...

Thanks.
You can and while they should not be infected, suggest to recipient to isolate them a couple of weeks to assure they contract nothing to their tank

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can and while they should not be infected, suggest to recipient to isolate them a couple of weeks to assure they contract nothing to their tank
Not sure the recipient can do that, or would want to go to that effort. My thinking is, obviously berghia cannot themselves carry ich... so if I did sufficient rinses... I would eliminate any free swimmers? Tempted to try doing it with some hydrogen peroxide... but wouldn't want to kill the little guys in the process.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fella said he has an ozone on his tank so he's not worried and is going to take them regardless. At least my conscience will be clear lol however now I'm about to fall into the next rabbit hole.... ozone vs UV lol hadn't heard of ozone until now.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not sure the recipient can do that, or would want to go to that effort. My thinking is, obviously berghia cannot themselves carry ich... so if I did sufficient rinses... I would eliminate any free swimmers? Tempted to try doing it with some hydrogen peroxide... but wouldn't want to kill the little guys in the process.
Should be safe . Ozone may or may not help

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be safe . Ozone may or may not help
Yea I just read up on it there... ozone is more for removal or breaking down of organic material, whereas UV is more suited to killing/rendering parasites sterile.... he seems keen regardless so I'll do the rinses then it's up to him. Thanks for your input.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yea I just read up on it there... ozone is more for removal or breaking down of organic material, whereas UV is more suited to killing/rendering parasites sterile.... he seems keen regardless so I'll do the rinses then it's up to him. Thanks for your input.
correct

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s called depuration, and it helps, but isn’t 100% successful at removing all the possible ich tomonts.

I would expose the Berghia to peroxide - the amount needed to kill ich tomonts would kill them as well.

Jay

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s called depuration, and it helps, but isn’t 100% successful at removing all the possible ich tomonts.

I would expose the Berghia to peroxide - the amount needed to kill ich tomonts would kill them as well.

Jay
Thanks Jay... I'll not use any peroxide in that case,just a few rinses with fresh SW. Depuration... new to me so will look that up for the right method.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay... I'll not use any peroxide in that case,just a few rinses with fresh SW. Depuration... new to me so will look that up for the right method.
Depuration is a term for cleaning seafood of bacteria, same principle though.
This article may give you a basic overview of biosecurity:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/

Jay

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back