OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds just like velvet.

Great....is there such a thing as copper resistant velvet? I've dealt with it in the past, but I brought fish down really fast. All the fish have had these spots for about 2 weeks now... no I'll behavior either..

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to start copper all over. When you added the new fish,without treating them first you gave your old fish something new. (And some type of ick is copper resistant,DR foster&smith). I use cupramine and seachem copper test at 0.5mg/l for 14 days

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remedicated everything after I got the new fish for an additional 30 days... as I said in the post

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remedicated everything after I got the new fish for an additional 30 days... as I said in the post

I think your main problem is that you are using a Salifert copper test kit to measure chelated copper (Coppersafe). I've tried doing this myself and it just isn't accurate. At the very least, I would double check using an API test kit.

If these fish have been sitting in subtherapeutic copper all this time, it would explain why velvet is being suppressed but not completely eradicated.

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your main problem is that you are using a Salifert copper test kit to measure chelated copper (Coppersafe). I've tried doing this myself and it just isn't accurate. At the very least, I would double check using an API test kit.

If these fish have been sitting in subtherapeutic copper all this time, it would explain why velvet is being suppressed but not completely eradicated.

I'll grab an API test kit today and retest!

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I tested the copper level with API, it's between 1 and 2 ppm... close to what I was getting before, I raised the dosage slightly so it was at a full 2ppm. If it was closer to 1-1.5ppm, could that have been the problem?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tested the copper level with API, it's between 1 and 2 ppm... close to what I was getting before, I raised the dosage slightly so it was at a full 2ppm. If it was closer to 1-1.5ppm, could that have been the problem?

Less than 1.5 ppm won't kill all the ich, velvet free swimmers. I keep it close to 2.0 ppm (sometimes even a little over) just to be sure.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than 1.5 ppm won't kill all the ich, velvet free swimmers. I keep it close to 2.0 ppm (sometimes even a little over) just to be sure.
X2 I shot for 2.25-2.5 but that's because I didn't test daily as I should.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is likely the culprit. Sorry for the struggle!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam, well at least it's fixable!!! Thank you all for your help and advice! Who knew API made an accurate test kit [emoji23]

It's more accurate than all the others for reading chelated copper. However, using a professional grade test kit (like Chemetrics or Hach) would probably be optimal.

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so it's gotten worse... there are more spots than ever... think it's the prolonged exposure to copper? It got worse when I increased the copper level...

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so it's gotten worse... there are more spots than ever... think it's the prolonged exposure to copper? It got worse when I increased the copper level...
It'll take a few days to improve after copper levels have risen... that's really fishy though pardon the pun it's Wednesday you rose it Saturday.

I've not run in to that. It's theoretically possible that you have a very resilient strain but I wouldn't know how to handle it... you say freshwater dips didn't phase it?

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it decided this looked like velvet? If so, should the fish be kept in the dark and maybe an acriflavine or formalin bath and then back in the copper? Im curious at what point you would escalate beyond just copper.

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll take a few days to improve after copper levels have risen... that's really fishy though pardon the pun it's Wednesday you rose it Saturday.

I've not run in to that. It's theoretically possible that you have a very resilient strain but I wouldn't know how to handle it... you say freshwater dips didn't phase it?

I know I thought that was weird too, because for the prior 2 weeks the amount was about the same, then in the time I raise the copper it gets worse? Can't be a coincidence right?

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it decided this looked like velvet? If so, should the fish be kept in the dark and maybe an acriflavine or formalin bath and then back in the copper? Im curious at what point you would escalate beyond just copper.

To the best of our ability we assumed it was copper, but nothing seems to phase it, I wonder if a few days in nitrofurazone would help?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the best of our ability we assumed it was copper, but nothing seems to phase it, I wonder if a few days in nitrofurazone would help?

How long has the copper been at 2.0 ppm now?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 68 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back