OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it's Saturday and doesn't look like the spots will be gone by tomorrow... what would be your guys's next recommendation? Should I just throw them into the display and hope? Lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I was joking! I'll try to take some more later, it's hard to get a clear pic of them since they all swim so fast!

I'm still quite puzzled, something isn't adding up. I have to wonder if there's something wrong with the test kits or copper itself but I don't know what could be wrong

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still quite puzzled, something isn't adding up. I have to wonder if there's something wrong with the test kits or copper itself but I don't know what could be wrong

Ya me too, maybe I got a bad batch of coppersafe? Think since fritz aquatics bought mardel the composition could have changed? Bought a brand new API test kit, the level is hard to say it it's definitely between 2 and 4 in the color card so I know it's strong enough... I'm still at a total loss... the only thing is I have some very expensive fish in this quarantine and need to fix it...

Just so you all know what I'm working with:
Achilles
Achilles hybrid
pacific blue tang
Atlantic blue tang
powder blue tang
Powder blue hybrid
Trio of joculator angels
Pair of gem tangs
Richmond wrasses
True Wild Caught pair of Darwin Ocellaris
Pair of Mauritian leopard Wrasses

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya me too, maybe I got a bad batch of coppersafe? Think since fritz aquatics bought mardel the composition could have changed? Bought a brand new API test kit, the level is hard to say it it's definitely between 2 and 4 in the color card so I know it's strong enough... I'm still at a total loss... the only thing is I have some very expensive fish in this quarantine and need to fix it...

Just so you all know what I'm working with:
Achilles
Achilles hybrid
pacific blue tang
Atlantic blue tang
powder blue tang
Powder blue hybrid
Trio of joculator angels
Pair of gem tangs
Richmond wrasses
True Wild Caught pair of Darwin Ocellaris
Pair of Mauritian leopard Wrasses

My gosh, you are quarantining some real dollar signs. Good news, you quarantined. This would have ended very badly if you hadn't. Now we need to seek the GOOD ending.

I'm half tempted to have you start over with cupramine, and see if that works better and chalk it up to a bad copper batch. I've had less trouble with tangs in cupramine anyway. With other fish, coppersafe a bit safer IMO

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even without copper in the water, the white dots should be disappearing after 7 days max. New ones may be forming, but they shouldn't be in the exact same place. It would look as though the white dots were moving around on the fish as the trophonts come & go.

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gosh, you are quarantining some real dollar signs. Good news, you quarantined. This would have ended very badly if you hadn't. Now we need to seek the GOOD ending.

I'm half tempted to have you start over with cupramine, and see if that works better and chalk it up to a bad copper batch. I've had less trouble with tangs in cupramine anyway. With other fish, coppersafe a bit safer IMO

Haha ya, tell me about it... the thing that sucks is that all of these were already in the display for a really long time without any problem. I made the bad choice of throwing in a frag of zoas from another tank and it screwed up everything!! Next thing I knew all the fish had ich and I had to fallow the display..

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even without copper in the water, the white dots should be disappearing after 7 days max. New ones may be forming, but they shouldn't be in the exact same place. It would look as though the white dots were moving around on the fish as the trophonts come & go.

Ya I know that's why it's so baffling!! Lol. I'm a pretty observant person, and I could swear that none have moved at all, but I wouldn't bet the life of my fish on it...haha

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, so now I've got some mixed results...After a few weeks in copper, a few a of the fish no longer have any spots (joculators, wrasses, gem tangs, achilles hybrid, atlantic blue) how every a few of them still do(achilles, powder blue, and pacific blue). not sure what to make of it. In the past 2 weeks, I've bumped up the copper to about 3ppm and still no sign of it going a way on these few fish. As an experiment, I threw in a gold rim(pictured) I had in a separate quarantine that had been quarantined for about 2 months and now he also has these spots(been in there about a week)...let me know what you guys think.. took these photos today:

IMG_4277-2.jpg

IMG_4279-2.jpg

IMG_4283-2.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@immafishguy I know you've already done this, but might be worthwhile to give one of the tangs with spots a FW dip to double check for flukes.

If no flukes show, I would be finding a different Cu test kit to double check the accuracy of yours. I don't see how that many theronts could be surviving thru 3ppm chelated copper. :eek:

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@immafishguy I know you've already done this, but might be worthwhile to give one of the tangs with spots a FW dip to double check for flukes.

If no flukes show, I would be finding a different Cu test kit to double check the accuracy of yours. I don't see how that many theronts could be surviving thru 3ppm chelated copper. :eek:
I did a FW dip last night when i did a 100% water change, not sure what other text kit are readily available. Just to be sure i was getting the needed dosage, there was about double the dosage recommended. the API test kit jumps from 2 to 4ppm on the color card and the coloration is always between the two. I'll retest again just to be sure but it was about 3 when i tested last night after the water change. Assuming that the dosage was correct, what would the next step be? think it could just potentially be a rash/ skin irritation do to prolonged exposure to copper? or maybe a virus?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, friend that really looks like velvet to me but I cannot imagine how it's still present!

I'm at a complete loss..

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, friend that really looks like velvet to me but I cannot imagine how it's still present!

I'm at a complete loss..

Dude at this point I'm debating just throwing them in the DT and seeing what happens

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either if you two think trying a combination of hypo, copper, nitrofurazone, and praziquantel is worth it... I feel like t will leave the fish with too compromised of an immune system

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude at this point I'm debating just throwing them in the DT and seeing what happens
If you have velvet and it looks like velvet to me, and you do that, you'll lose all of those expensive fish because there's zero chance they'll fight it off.

Don't get me wrong, I would be as frustrated as you. I don't have a clue how to advise you. You might try TTM (no more than 2-3 fish per 40 gal Rubbermaid is how I did it) and see if that helps. If it's still there it's probably velvet--- it's a tough call because copper should decimate both.

I can't help but assume something is amiss here, I keep wanting to blame the copper test kit and or copper batch, but I believe you said you changed it all?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either if you two think trying a combination of hypo, copper, nitrofurazone, and praziquantel is worth it... I feel like t will leave the fish with too compromised of an immune system

Let me ask you this, you say the spots come & go, correct? How long do they stay on a fish before disappearing?

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask you this, you say the spots come & go, correct? How long do they stay on a fish before disappearing?

Nope, the ones that had the spots disappear vanished completely and have not come back(been about 5 days now) the ones that still have it have always had it and it never went away... on the Achilles it maybe seems like there are slightly less, but it would be to minimal to tell... but the weird thing is that it spread to the gold rim... who was clean to begin with...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, the ones that had the spots disappear vanished completely and have not come back(been about 5 days now) the ones that still have it have always had it and it never went away... on the Achilles it maybe seems like there are slightly less, but it would be to minimal to tell... but the weird thing is that it spread to the gold rim... who was clean to begin with...

You're using Coppersafe with an API, correct?

We're trying to figure out if there's any correlation between what you're seeing and this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-despite-my-efforts.306580/

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back