Identifying disease on my Clowns

chris_b333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My clowns have this thin layer of white particles/film. They have had for some time now.
Is this velvet? What should be my next steps?

TIA!

IMG_3196.jpg IMG_3198.jpg IMG_3201.jpg IMG_3203.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you attach pics taken under white light? How are the fish acting? Faster breathing, swimming into flow, lack of appetite?
How long have you had them for/when was the most recent addition?
Based on the pics, brook or velvet are possibilities, and both have different treatments. One thing you can do is a 5 minute freshwater dip to help relieve the fish, but it won’t cure anything.
You will need a quarantine tank for treatment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

My clowns have this thin layer of white particles/film. They have had for some time now.

TIA!

This fish even under heavy blue light is displaying Brooklynella. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Every clown is at risk for brooklynella - as @vetteguy53081 says. How long have you had them - any other fish sick, etc. Are your fish sick? (i.e. not eating, breathing heavily, etc) - More information is needed here IMHO

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

TIA!

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

As the others have said, additional pictures under white light and more background information is needed. This post describes all that:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...sease-treatment-and-diagnosis-section.775547/

In terms of what I can see and the timeline you provided, this is probably not velvet (the fish would be dead by now). That leaves Brooklynella. This can be difficult to treat once it gets started, because the best medication (formalin) is really difficult to get.

Jay

OP
OP
C

chris_b333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you attach pics taken under white light? How are the fish acting? Faster breathing, swimming into flow, lack of appetite?
How long have you had them for/when was the most recent addition?
Based on the pics, brook or velvet are possibilities, and both have different treatments. One thing you can do is a 5 minute freshwater dip to help relieve the fish, but it won’t cure anything.
You will need a quarantine tank for treatment.
Hello,

The pair are eating like normal, swim all over the tank. I have had them for over 5 months now. They have looked like this for a while as well but I don't recall them looking like this when I first had them.

Most recent addition was a Dottyback about 2-3 weeks ago. He was eating fine and seemed ok until about an hour after I posted this thread. Found him upside down in the sand and clearly a goner. Starting to worry about my tank...

Parameters are sub-par but not detrimental.. I am working on getting them back to where they need to be and dosing Kalkwasser as recommended by my LFS.
I do 20-30% WC every week, lately they have been bi-weekly.

OP
OP
C

chris_b333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

She has unfortunately died, and I am preparing a qt tank for the others. Does anyone have any tips for me here?
I am still new to reefing and this will be a first for me. I have been reading other forums and watching YT videos but all advise is greatly appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the formalin in safety stop, rapid fish quarantine not the right type? see it at all my LFS and they sell it online

It's the right type, but an unknown dose/concentration, so I don't have any way to convert the dose over to a Brooklynella treatment.

In re-reading your first post, you said the fish have had this "for some time" - how long have they had it?

Also, a video taken under white light would be really helpful to try and sort through this.

Jay

OP
OP
C

chris_b333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the right type, but an unknown dose/concentration, so I don't have any way to convert the dose over to a Brooklynella treatment.

In re-reading your first post, you said the fish have had this "for some time" - how long have they had it?

Also, a video taken under white light would be really helpful to try and sort through this.

Jay
I thought I had attached the pictures under whites in my previous post, sorry. They have looked like that for at least a month or so. It didn't seem like a problem since they were still eating and acting normal. It wasn't until a few days ago, I noticed odd behavior and posted on reddit, and the replies were concerning. Was advised to post here.

Went to LFS today and asked for formalin. They said it is hard to get? He recommended using Seachem Cupramine. I am dosing in a 10g QT tank with 1 clown, sixline and a watchman goby using

Attachments

• IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3219.jpg
    IMG_3219.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3231.jpg
    IMG_3231.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 32

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had attached the pictures under whites in my previous post, sorry. They have looked like that for at least a month or so. It didn't seem like a problem since they were still eating and acting normal. It wasn't until a few days ago, I noticed odd behavior and posted on reddit, and the replies were concerning. Was advised to post here.

Went to LFS today and asked for formalin. They said it is hard to get? He recommended using Seachem Cupramine. I am dosing in a 10g QT tank with 1 clown, sixline and a watchman goby using

Sorry, I meant could you post a short video (helps me judge the fish's respiration rate).

Cupramine is one choice. I use Coppersafe. Only one clown is being dosed, did one die?
Managing the ammonia in the treatment tank is going to be difficult. Do not use ammonia removers, they react badly with Cupramine.

Jay

OP
OP
C

chris_b333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant could you post a short video (helps me judge the fish's respiration rate).

Cupramine is one choice. I use Coppersafe. Only one clown is being dosed, did one die?
Managing the ammonia in the treatment tank is going to be difficult. Do not use ammonia removers, they react badly with Cupramine.

Jay
Only one clown left. I plan to do regular WC’s to manage ammonia. Probably every few days or so.

Back