if my power goes out my sump will overflow

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a new return pipe that you can configure at make it go up just at the water surface

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the late response i think lockline would be a great idea esp not having to take apart plumbing again lol , i can order the part on BRS i believe?

i have a the eshopps esclipse M for my overflow and my return is substantially lower than my overflow not sure if the pictures do it justice
To keep from the return siphoning the water above it in the tank, you have a few options.

1. Take a male threaded to female threaded 90 and install it in the bulkhead with the female threaded end facing up. You will then need a male threaded to slip adaptor and a piece of PVC. Thread the adaptor into the 90 and then insert the pipe into the adaptor. You will trim the pipe a little at a time until you can get it and the other slip to female threaded 90 about 1" below the waterline. Once it is there, you will glue only the slip connections. This will allow you to easily remove the return section if needed. If you did all slip fittings, you may not be able to get to the bulkhead if an issue arrises with the seal. AFter you have to return set 1" below the waterline, you can then take it from there with loc line. If it was me, I would come right up to the waterline with the last 90 and then use locline to come below the water. Doing this you could drill a small hole in the bottom of the top 90 facing down and create a siphon break. I would also paint everything black with some krylon so it is not as easy to see. After about an hour of drying, you can then reassemble after painting it.

2. You could put a plug in the bulkhead and bring the return over the back.

3. You could replace the 90 on the outside of the tank with a "Tee" and run a check valve above the waterline to create a siphon break. This would still allow a trickle down the drain, but it would not be a full siphon. It may still over flow, but will take a long time do so.

I will say, I prefer option 1 and it looks fine if painted and done correctly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back