I'm joining the club!

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These will be arriving Friday and I'm thinking this will be the arrangement for my garden. I will gladly welcome any advice or pro tips before I dive in Friday evening.

Capture.jpg

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These will be arriving Friday and I'm thinking this will be the arrangement for my garden. I will gladly welcome any advice or pro tips before I dive in Friday evening.

Capture.jpg
No pro tips but wow what a haul! I hope you don’t have any melt aways! Just be sure to acclimate, dip, and if you can, quarantine to protect your display tank investment. It can be costly to have any infestations or hitchhiker pests make it into your tank.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make a zoa garden, you want to make sure they all grow at about the same rate. The faster growing ones can take over if you don't plan accordingly. You may want to get with the vendor and make sure it will be safe to ship this week. I have seen a lot of people complaining about shipping g delays due to packages being shipped because of black friday and cyber monday.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome30.gif
Take things slow and monitor water quality the next 8-10 weeks

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pro tips but wow what a haul! I hope you don’t have any melt aways! Just be sure to acclimate, dip, and if you can, quarantine to protect your display tank investment. It can be costly to have any infestations or hitchhiker pests make it into your tank.

I do have the acclimation and dip procedures printed and ready. I’m a little neurotic about stuff like that. I could be better about QT but I have a lighted magnifier on an electronics station I use for inspection and cut corals off the plugs and remount them. Though, admittedly, aiptasia slipped by me. Hopefully I can catch any nudis, spiders or bugs on these.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make a zoa garden, you want to make sure they all grow at about the same rate. The faster growing ones can take over if you don't plan accordingly. You may want to get with the vendor and make sure it will be safe to ship this week. I have seen a lot of people complaining about shipping g delays due to packages being shipped because of black friday and cyber monday.

I’ve been studying the various fragging methods to keep things in checked or “pruned” if you will. Lol That’s a very good point though. Someone mentioned the radioactive dragoneyes and bonfires grow quite rapidly. What I did not think about was shipping delays. I’ll check with our FedEx rep in the morning.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome30.gif
Take things slow and monitor water quality the next 8-10 weeks

I currently do bi-weekly water changes but I’ll definitely be testing more when I add these. I may start running carbon but my tang still has some HLLE scars that I believe are a result of that so I’ll have to come up with a way of cleaning it or something.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay zoa peeps. The group is in my DT now and I believe I am seeing some bryopsis growing on one of the frag plugs. Would you pull the whole rack and treat them in the QT with reef flux or try to remount the affected zoa on to a new plug?

fts.jpg

On a separate note, it looks like I will lose one or two polyps of the blue watermelon. While this is acceptable, I would love to know why. Is this a common thing, the "melt-away"? It almost looks as if the polyp is pinching itself off the stalk while staying closed up. I've seen people say they treated the tank with chemiclean and the zoas opened up... Would you suggest treating the whole rack in the QT with reef flux AND chemiclean? I'm not a big fan of chemical warfare but I have used both of these on my DT in the past with success. I'm just worried it would be too much on the recently transplanted zoas. Thoughts? As you can see, everyone else looks happy.

zoas.jpg

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Armor Of God that is closed up was brushed by a fish just prior to the photo being taken, they are all open.
Also, parameters:
8.04 alk
salt 35 ppt
.11 PO3
3.87 NO3
430 Ca
1383 Mg
8.1 PH

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the pic what the new polyp is besides a zoa lol. As far as the zoa with the bryopsis growing on it, if you can remove them and place on a new frag plug, I would suggest doing that. Another method you could try is raising your magnesium levels. This article should help explain the process https://reefhacks.com/bryopsis-fluconazole-dosage/#tab-con-12

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back