Instant Fish Quarantine? Safety Stop

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saw this product and was wondering what you all thought of it?

Blue-Life-Safety-Stop-Instant-Fish-_zpsfd427dba.jpg

Here is the product description.

Safety Stop is a simple and effective way to help protect your Saltwater and Freshwater aquarium fish from serious unwanted disease outbreaks caused by external parasites, and bacterial and fungal infections. New fish are often the source of infectious diseases that can wipeout an entire aquarium. Be proactive and give your fish a Safety Stop bath to significantly lower the risk of introducing deadly diseases. Protect your investment!!!

Safety Stop also significantly increases oxygen in a new fishes blood stream minimizing stress and helping to keep the immune system strong!

While there is no substitute for extended quarantine of new fish in a separate hospital tank, often it is not practical. We recommend using Safety Stop before introducing the new fish into your main aquarium or into the quarantine tank. For multiple tank owners, it should be used anytime a fish is transferred from one tank to another including all quarantine tanks.

How to use product:

Take fish from fish store directly home without delay. Acclimate fish to the same temperature and pH of the aquarium before performing the Safety Stop bath.
While fish is acclimating prepare the two baths: into clean, non-metallic containers (i.e., a plastic or glass bucket), add one gallon of water directly from the aquarium into each bucket. With scissors, cut the edge of the product packages and pour PART A into the first container and PART B into the second container Monitor for temperature changes.
Gently agitate both solutions with an air stone. Leave the air stones in the container to oxygenate the water when fish is in the bath.
Remove the fish to be treated from acclimation water and deposit in bath PART A for 45 min (30 min if fish has been shipped overnight within the last 72 hours). Keep a loose cover on bath to make sure fish doesn’t jump out. Carefully watch the fish for signs of stress during the entire treatment process. Signs of stress include heavy breathing, erratic swimming, rolling, etc. If fish shows signs of stress reduce time and put immediately into PART B bath.
After Part A, transfer fish to Part B bath for 45 min. Continuing to watch for signs of stress. If signs of stress occur, remove before treatment is over, and transfer to quarantine tank or prepared aquarium. Do not put bath water into aquarium. After treatment B is over net fish into aquarium.
Observe fish after introduction to tank to make sure tank mates are not disturbing fish. It is good idea to feed the tank simultaneously while introducing the new fish to keep the resident fish occupied. Keep light levels low for 24 hours after introduction. Bath should be discarded after several hours but can be used on multiple fish within a few hours or at the same time.

Warning

This dip protocol is intended for ornamental fish only.
Do not use on invertebrates
Do not use on scale-less freshwater fishes.
Do not use on invertebrates i.e. Corals, urchins, sea stars, snails, crabs
Do not exceed 45 minutes in each bath
Do not use on fish that show obvious signs of sickness.
Solution may stain.
Do not pour dip water into tank
Keep out of reach of children
Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing.
Do not injest or breathe vapors.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it frequently as a preventative measure, before adding fish to QT. It should certainly not be thought of as a product that negates QT. Used to use two similar components in bulk, however found this to be an easy means with no measuring required at not much additional cost.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting and good to know!

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it frequently as a preventative measure, before adding fish to QT. It should certainly not be thought of as a product that negates QT. Used to use two similar components in bulk, however found this to be an easy means with no measuring required at not much additional cost.

Well said. I've spent a bit of time this afternoon mulling about over how everybody seems to be looking for a shortcut. IMO for most things, reefing and not, there is no cure-all! If there was such thing as a short cut, it should be called "the way!"

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the two solutions consist of?

olaf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use it on all my fish that come into the shop... can't tell if it helps I still seem to have some die off and lately I got an ich break-out a couple days after use. I still quarantine everything for a week before selling it. Sometimes there is no reason or sign, fish just dies. All live stock is supposed to be MAC certified. I sometimes wonder. A fish just dying with no symptoms could be a sign of being caught with poison.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use this product before adding fish to my QT as well.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow good to know!

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Safety Stop is a simple and effective way to help protect your Saltwater and Freshwater aquarium fish from serious unwanted disease outbreaks caused by external parasites, and bacterial and fungal infections. New fish are often the source of infectious diseases that can wipeout an entire aquarium. Be proactive and give your fish a Safety Stop bath to significantly lower the risk of introducing deadly diseases. Protect your investment!!!

Safety Stop also significantly increases oxygen in a new fishes blood stream minimizing stress and helping to keep the immune system strong!

While there is no substitute for extended quarantine of new fish in a separate hospital tank, often it is not practical. We recommend using Safety Stop before introducing the new fish into your main aquarium or into the quarantine tank. For multiple tank owners, it should be used anytime a fish is transferred from one tank to another including all quarantine tanks.

How to use product:

Take fish from fish store directly home without delay. Acclimate fish to the same temperature and pH of the aquarium before performing the Safety Stop bath.
While fish is acclimating prepare the two baths: into clean, non-metallic containers (i.e., a plastic or glass bucket), add one gallon of water directly from the aquarium into each bucket. With scissors, cut the edge of the product packages and pour PART A into the first container and PART B into the second container Monitor for temperature changes.
Gently agitate both solutions with an air stone. Leave the air stones in the container to oxygenate the water when fish is in the bath.
Remove the fish to be treated from acclimation water and deposit in bath PART A for 45 min (30 min if fish has been shipped overnight within the last 72 hours). Keep a loose cover on bath to make sure fish doesn’t jump out. Carefully watch the fish for signs of stress during the entire treatment process. Signs of stress include heavy breathing, erratic swimming, rolling, etc. If fish shows signs of stress reduce time and put immediately into PART B bath.
After Part A, transfer fish to Part B bath for 45 min. Continuing to watch for signs of stress. If signs of stress occur, remove before treatment is over, and transfer to quarantine tank or prepared aquarium. Do not put bath water into aquarium. After treatment B is over net fish into aquarium.
Observe fish after introduction to tank to make sure tank mates are not disturbing fish. It is good idea to feed the tank simultaneously while introducing the new fish to keep the resident fish occupied. Keep light levels low for 24 hours after introduction. Bath should be discarded after several hours but can be used on multiple fish within a few hours or at the same time.

Warning

Solution may stain.

I love this stuff and use it on every fish I put into any tank that I have. I just wish it was easier to get in more of stores on line and locally.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said. I've spent a bit of time this afternoon mulling about over how everybody seems to be looking for a shortcut. IMO for most things, reefing and not, there is no cure-all! If there was such thing as a short cut, it should be called "the way!"

I think there is some truth to this, but at the same time the world is advancing and things become faster. The problem is that there’s a lot of false information out there and false hope.

In my case I would love to be able to quarantine faster. I have a 220G tank, but I really don’t have any space to have a full quarantine system set up. I have some larger fish as well, so my quarantine system usually consists of a 20 or 30G rubbermaid tote on my living room floor, which obviously isn’t ideal for me, or the fish. But this is what I continue to do. Not because this is how it’s always been done, but because this is what has been proven and what works.

I think it’s good to be looking for new solutions for problems and technological advances. It’s ridiculous to say “It was always done this way, so I won’t do it any other way” about everything. But it’s also important not to just jump on every new fad because it seems quicker and easier. New things need to be tested and proven before they become ‘the way’

U

User1

View Badges

How to use product:

Warning

Solution may stain.

Mr. Fenner has an excellent write up on dips and baths. I do not QT but I do follow his recommendation on dips and baths. 100% success rate. Methylene blue is they key due to its aid in oxygenating dye or whatever it is. If you look at the article below and then safety stop you will see the similarity.

Mr. Fenner knows his stuff.

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Fenner has an excellent write up on dips and baths. I do not QT but I do follow his recommendation on dips and baths. 100% success rate. Methylene blue is they key due to its aid in oxygenating dye or whatever it is. If you look at the article below and then safety stop you will see the similarity.

Mr. Fenner knows his stuff.

Interesting, so he advises against formalin but says methylene blue is what you should use. I was confused, was he saying to use it in a freshwater bath? Or use system water? Also he doesn’t specify any lengths of time.

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, so he advises against formalin but says methylene blue is what you should use. I was confused, was he saying to use it in a freshwater bath? Or use system water? Also he doesn’t specify any lengths of time.
I found this link and the dosing loosely lines up with the ratios for Safety Stop.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back