Instant ocean sea salt

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only difference is reef salt comes with calcium and all that other good stuff. But it's fixable

FWIW, the difference in the calcium level in IO and RC is pretty small (about 10%). In my tank, where I use normal IO and only limewater for calcium and alkalinity, calcium runs high because limewater has a tendency to push calcium up over the long haul. So I prefer it a bit lower in the salt mix.

Pretty sure this is because it is intended to be used with tap water. And there obviously are metals in tap water. Correct me if I'm wrong Randy?

That may be their line of thinking. Or they may be trying to limit the toxicity of metals from other sources.

chris.scangarello

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too use Instant Ocean in my reef tank. Every tank is different and you will learn what your tank will need over time. Welcome to the addiction! Happy reefing!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish our water in Iowa was good enough to use in the reef without RO/DI. Right now there are lawsuits in the state as the drinking water contained nitrates above what is legally allowed (10ppm). There is also a lot of phosphate, but they don't report that from what I can find. At least one town here adds phosphate in the water. From the town's website:
  • Phosphate Addition - Phosphate is added to chemically stabilize the water and lessen the possibility that lead will leach out of pipes and into tap water.

iratherBfishing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well red sea salt is loaded with stuff. But insta ocean is cheaper in price. I usually get the smallest bag for $10 dollars

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always Instant Ocean, you're beating a dead horse when you post IO is inferior, it's simply not true. In the long run husbandry has more to do with results than the most commonly available salts. As you can tell I have had a lot of tanks since 1996, not all stunning but for the common hobbyist IO is a quality competitive product at a decent price.

2011 I believe

2011-2012

Recent 2015

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435078021.315305.jpg

Been using reef crystals for years.... I buy it by the box (200g).

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer regular IO over RC as well and have for the last 15 years now. My spa seem to like it as well.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Kent Reef Salt and I am very happy with it. If you use Instant Ocean regular salt then you will need to dose, (adding calcium and alkalinity, magnesium and strontium). The magnesium supports the calcium and helps it do what it does. I know a reefer who has an absolutely beautiful reef tank and he uses Instant Ocean regular salt and has for years, 15+. Don't put too much stock in brand of salt, the key is to find a salt you are satisfied with and stick with it, don't change. Reef Crystals has higher amounts of calcium and alkalinity than does Instant Ocean regular salt. The price difference is minimal but the RC would be better for reefs. Your salinity should be held steady at 1.024 to 1.026. Try to stay as close to the same number all of the time. Reefs do not like swings in salinity or temps. You should invest in an auto top off, that helps keep you salinity stable.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never needed to add magnesium and strontium with I/O.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this and my cal reactor keeps my alk cal and mag in line.

Yup, if your keeping sps your dosing anyway. I would rather fine tune my parameters. Many 2 parts products include magnesium, and BRS 3 part includes magnesium. Beware of dosing Strontium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Kent Reef Salt and I am very happy with it. If you use Instant Ocean regular salt then you will need to dose, (adding calcium and alkalinity, magnesium and strontium).

FWIW, IO has more alkalinity, magnesium and strontium than natural seawater at the same salinity (according to the manufacturer in 2009 anyway). Yes, you may need to dose some of these (alk at least), but not because the salt is deficient.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well it is not truly false information and anyone who has been in the saltwater hobby long enough knows this... IO was designed for fish only systems and has been around long before reef tanks. Yea I am showing my age. I dont know how much the formula has changed and if it has changed but originally it was made for fish.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is not truly false information and anyone who has been in the saltwater hobby long enough knows this... IO was designed for fish only systems and has been around long before reef tanks. Yea I am showing my age. I dont know how much the formula has changed and if it has changed but originally it was made for fish.

It has changed over time. That said, they do like to market RC as being more for a reef, although I don't necessarily agree. :)

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has changed over time. That said, they do like to market RC as being more for a reef, although I don't necessarily agree. :)
I don't agree with their marketing either. Each tank has different needs. With mine, I have a co2 problem, so if the alk in IO is lower than the alk in RC, I can dose more Kalk to raise the ph. But again, I think a consistent salt is worth its weight in gold, and IME RC isn't consistent and created more hassles than it was worth. If it doesn't totally dissolve, as mine never did, you can't trust that the water parameters are what they should be. At the end of the day though, people should just use the salt that works for them.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't agree with their marketing either. Each tank has different needs. With mine, I have a co2 problem, so if the alk in IO is lower than the alk in RC, I can dose more Kalk to raise the ph. But again, I think a consistent salt is worth its weight in gold, and IME RC isn't consistent and created more hassles than it was worth. If it doesn't totally dissolve, as mine never did, you can't trust that the water parameters are what they should be. At the end of the day though, people should just use the salt that works for them.

That really is what is important to me is consistency and not so much which salt you use. I used to use primarily what I got for free.
Now I dose with dosing pumps and want consistency. You set your pumps to dose so much alk and then the next batch is higher. Well now you are dosing too much or it drops and you are not dosing enough...

Consistency...

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched to regular IO since all the other elevated salts kept throwing my auto doser off. I haven't noticed any
Negatives except a positive in my wallet.

When a tank is packed and growing the need for supplementation will be needed no matter which salt is used.
image.jpg
image.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched back and couldn't be happier. IO dissolves immediately and gives me consistent results.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 92 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back