Intentional feather dusters?

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if this is the correct place to post this but im wondering if anyone here has intentionaly introduced feather dusters? I love the look of them but from what i understand they tend to completely take over a tank and are seen more of an annoyance. Are there certain ones that are less likely to get out of hand?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more than a few times yes.

As far as I know , invasiveness depends on species. I’ve had some odd stuff here on Reef2Reef. Only one was a boring tube worms.

The second thing in invasivenes is food availability. More food , particulary coral foods , phytos , lots of fish (or more food and poop) and small organics will restrict growth.
I’ve had my dusted wax and wane over the years depending on how I was feeding. A big skimmer and filter socks will lower the numbers for that reason.

OP
OP
Lhall9187

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, i have a 30 gallon with only 3 fish, 2 clowns and a flame angel, im starting with frags, i have about 10 but id like something different in the tank, I'm a little impatient waiting on frags to grow lol so I'd like to add something to make the tank more interesting, do you have any suggestions on specific types?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to micro dusters?
Those are usually hitchhikers.

Larger ones are def available from retailers. Check out live Aquaria for some of those names.

OP
OP
Lhall9187

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry i should have been more specific, i am looking for the larger ones, i will check them out now, thank you so much for the help

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome! The larger ones you actually may need to make sure you feed enough.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have four (and plan on getting a few more)
62fd3b9b4cfe4208b55c6641bc5c511b.jpg

This is my newest addition

OP
OP
Lhall9187

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! This is exactly what i was looking for, do these ones reproduce amd spread like the tiny ones?

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! This is exactly what i was looking for, do these ones reproduce amd spread like the tiny ones?

Not really. Micro dusters reproduce asexually which contributes to their spreading rate. These guys are broadcast spawners so although they may reproduce the chances of having offspring is very low. Fortunately these are extraordinarily cheap. I got the one in the picture for $16 and my giant feather dusters we’re $7 each

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several large feather dusters. I love mine.

In my experience about half survive and half die very soon after introduction to the tank. Be sure to acclimate SLOWLY and good luck!

OP
OP
Lhall9187

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, im glad to see other people have done this, i kind of thought i was crazy wanting to put them in, i just think they are so pretty, im hoping to order some this week, and i will be sure to acclimate very slowly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back