Interesting 'New' LED Light

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for fun.. rough "relativised" composite.. ;). Not sure of it's validity but kind of a fun snapshot..
peridchart.jpg

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for fun.. rough "relativised" composite.. ;). Not sure of it's validity but kind of a fun snapshot..
peridchart.jpg
When a light generates as much light as this one can, spectral quality could be a moot point since photopigments are absorbing as much light as they can (assuming photosaturation for many corals is in the 300-400 PPFD range.) Only when light intensity is between Compensation and Photosaturation Points would there be issues with spectral quality.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but most will run it dimmed and not full on all channels.. especially "not blue".. ;)
don't get me wrong, it's a very good and creative spectrum..
Personally.. mint (which is a lower phosphored "lime" giving it a blue spike .ie. mint.. ;))
would be a personal choice over lime..
and adding some cyan to the reg blue channel (making an "aqua" ala Orphek) if one was to get
"real picky"... ;)
sort of forcing green .. :)

All that though is REAL nit picky..

Pigment charts vary considerably anyways

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of these charts are generic so to speak..
Here's a slightly different one w/ source. I'd have to track down my first one atm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Dino on that chart symbiodinium or all dinos?
That's actually diadinoxanthin, a xanthophyll that offers limited protection to intense light. The other xanthophyll is diatoxanthin (Dia).

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went into the lab this morning and used an Ocean Optics spectrometer to analyze the ReeFi's spectral qualities. I had some concerns that there was not enough green light that could be absorbed by the accessory pigment peridinin by analyses proved me wrong. The nine independent channels:
400 nm (actually peaking at 404nm, with about half of output in the UV-A range.)
420nm (actual peak at 422nm)
Violet (peaks at 426nm)
Royal Blue (peaks at 448nm)
Blue (peaks at 468nm)
Lime (broad spectrum peaking at 551nm)
Amber (peaks at 594nm)
Warm White (blue shoulder at 450nm and higher phosphor broadband radiation)
Cool White (blue shoulder at 444nm and higher phosphor broadband radiation)
The graph shows spectral quality of this luminaire with all 9 channels at full intensity. Maximum PPFD (or PAR if you will and measured by an Apogee MQ 510 meter) at the bottom of the tank was found to be 477 (some light reflected by the glass) and 1200 just under the water's surface.
The tank is 24" deep, so the sensor was ~23" below the water line and ~26" from the luminaire.

1567008610842.png

From your research, it appears this light could be a winner.

Any comments on reduction of shading? Seems to be the problem that all led lights have. How about the web interface? I’ll probably be ordering one next week to replace two hydra26hd for my Red Sea reefer 170. Looking for better color and less shading.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your research, it appears this light could be a winner.

Any comments on reduction of shading? Seems to be the problem that all led lights have. How about the web interface? I’ll probably be ordering one next week to replace two hydra26hd for my Red Sea reefer 170. Looking for better color and less shading.
The web interface is user friendly even to someone, such as myself, who can be technically challenged. As for shading, are we talking about light distribution patterns and shading, especially with branching corals?

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The web interface is user friendly even to someone, such as myself, who can be technically challenged. As for shading, are we talking about light distribution patterns and shading, especially with branching corals?

Good to know about the web interface. Can’t stand good hardware with terrible software!

Yes, I am interested in shading from branching corals.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the web interface. Can’t stand good hardware with terrible software!

Yes, I am interested in shading from branching corals.
Shading will be apparent with any point source of light (LED pucks, metal halides, etc.) Less so with line sources (LED strips, fluorescent lamps.) As long as the exposed portion of the coral is receiving an adequate amount of light, I wouldn't be overly concerned with effects of shading.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my frag tank with these lights to give you a sense of the kind of color you get from the full spectrum they have. These are iPhone pictures I just took without any type of filter or white balance.
Sorry that my glass is so dirty!

I don't have any issues with shading under these lights. They have a lot of diodes, plus the reflectors do a good job of blending, which helps with this too.

lMLc0Lp.jpg

9cy7l2Q.jpg

mj35ddC.jpg

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my frag tank with these lights to give you a sense of the kind of color you get from the full spectrum they have. These are iPhone pictures I just took without any type of filter or white balance.
Sorry that my glass is so dirty!

I don't have any issues with shading under these lights. They have a lot of diodes, plus the reflectors do a good job of blending, which helps with this too.

lMLc0Lp.jpg

9cy7l2Q.jpg

mj35ddC.jpg
Beautiful!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my frag tank with these lights to give you a sense of the kind of color you get from the full spectrum they have.

since one shouldn't butt-u-me.. what were your channels set at?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back