Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...I'm considering adding one of your ATS unit to my system. I've got Red Mushrooms growing everywhere...I've heard it could be due to high nitrates, although when I test my water my Nitrate level is zero. I have a 180 gallon system with a 60 gallon sump... I have a lot of LR so I probably only actually have about 110 gallons of water.
Which model would you recommend?

Thank you
You won't regret it. I love my L4. I hardly have any algae in my dt and harvest "pounds" of algae from the ats every 2 weeks. I actually have to feed algae to my tank now.
Bud's has the best CS!

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...I'm considering adding one of your ATS unit to my system. I've got Red Mushrooms growing everywhere...I've heard it could be due to high nitrates, although when I test my water my Nitrate level is zero. I have a 180 gallon system with a 60 gallon sump... I have a lot of LR so I probably only actually have about 110 gallons of water.
Which model would you recommend?

Thank you
Probably the L4. Check this link and let me know if that helps

https://support.turbosaquatics.com/portal/kb/articles/choosing-a-scrubber-size

Last edited:
OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize they aren't an algae, but I was told they can grow like weeds due to a result of high nitrates. I also have Red Cyano Algae that are growing on some of my LR. I was hoping that if I installed your ATS it would help to reduce Nitrates and remove RCA?
Algae scrubbers are very effective at Nitrate reduction. Algae reduction is a little more dependent on the strain and level of infestation but usually there is a noticeable effect within a relatively short period of time

IxTCxI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are algae scrubber effective on phosphate as well?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are algae scrubber effective on phosphate as well?
Yes, it will pull out the amount of No3 and Po4 that the algae on the scrubber uses to grow. When you clean out the scrubber, it removes that amount from your tank. The more algae the lower the nutrients. I'm pulling so much algae every 2 weeks that my scale won't read it. I've been very pleased with my L4 from Bud.

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I know I'm a pita but a stupid question which you might of answered it already I have the l2 and plus skimmer would it be enough for a 180 gallon tank and if I up my food would it be able to keep up?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
already I have the l2 and plus skimmer would it be enough for a 180 gallon tank and if I up my food would it be able to keep up?
Maybe, maybe not - there really isn't a general yes/no answer to this type of question. Part of that depends on the efficiency of the skimmer. What I've learned is that this guy pretty much tells the truth that everyone needs to know about what makes a skimmer and what is marketing fluff: www.lifereef.com. heavy text 1980s era formatting but read it. It's one of those things where pretty much everything about skimming has been known for decades, yet there's always something "new".

So if you had a LR skimmer and an L2 scrubber, you would probably be golden. If your skimmer was a real point of sale then you might be pushing it :cool:

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, maybe not - there really isn't a general yes/no answer to this type of question. Part of that depends on the efficiency of the skimmer. What I've learned is that this guy pretty much tells the truth that everyone needs to know about what makes a skimmer and what is marketing fluff: www.lifereef.com. heavy text 1980s era formatting but read it. It's one of those things where pretty much everything about skimming has been known for decades, yet there's always something "new".

So if you had a LR skimmer and an L2 scrubber, you would probably be golden. If your skimmer was a real point of sale then you might be pushing it :cool:
Thanks you are the best and you stand by your product....I like that you Jeff from lifereef are down to earth and go the full mile and back your products ......I only recommend you for scrubber and Jeff for skimmers

Marson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres after 21 days with 14 hours and 3 o clock intensity.

20171105_103903.jpg

20171105_103920.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I just scored a sweet deal on a used L2 rev4 that should be coming in sometime next week. Super stoked to finally join the club! :D

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all

i'm on the waiting list for the L2 and i'm tight for space in the skimmer chamber where I'm hoping to run the feed pump for the scrubber.

I can run the scrubber off my pump feeding my current reactors, but they are in the return section so i would prefer feeding the unit with the raw water in the skimmer chamber.

i can fit an MJ1200 (cobalt) in the chamber i hope to use but was wondering if anyone else tried or is currently using an MJ pump and if it would be sufficient.

any info is appreciated

sincerely

Tivo

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
A MJ1200 may have an issue pumping enough water through the ATS when the algae really starts growing. My RIO 2500 is @ 75% open on a L4. I'm sure Bud will verify. You're going to love your ATS.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cobalt MJ1200 pump initially has good flow, but it has very poor head-loss characteristics after you have any kind of resistance to flow (like algae growing up into the slot, or any kind of mulm buildup). Same goes for the Eheim Compact + 1000, the flow goes from ~190 GPH to ~60 GPH in a matter of months. That was my actual flow measurement 2 months in on the first Rev 1, but that was before I made the snap-on light blockers and then the molded pipe. So it might do better with the Rev 4 slot pipe, but overall it's going to be flow limited. Which may not matter, because I've learned that the 35 GPH rule-of-thumb is just that - a rule of thumb. You can get away with less in many cases, especially for the first few months. But depending on your setup (size, feeding, etc) you might eventually need more robust flow

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Bud and Salty. I was thinking it may not be sufficient as well since I've had one feeding my fuge for a while now and constantly have to scrub the intake and impeller to keep it from dribblingo_O.

Oh well. looks like my mag pump throttled back a bit it is. Was hoping to get the L2 installed before the holidays but tank params are fine so no rush. I'll need a little time anyways to rearrange a few things.

thanks again

GreensoldierUSA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a new tank built and was considering a large refuge however I would prefer to use a ATS from what I have read however I will be stepping down in size to a 225g island style tank. That being said I have a large skimmer which is rated for about double this tank volume. Would i be ok using same skimmer with which ATS? Also is there a particular sump design that people utilize for an ATS? I have only used refug and chaeto in the past.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a new tank built and was considering a large refuge however I would prefer to use a ATS from what I have read however I will be stepping down in size to a 225g island style tank. That being said I have a large skimmer which is rated for about double this tank volume. Would i be ok using same skimmer with which ATS? Also is there a particular sump design that people utilize for an ATS? I have only used refug and chaeto in the past.
Depending on your bio-load you will. I have a heavy bio-load so I run both. If not for anything else but oxygenation of your tank. I don't know if the system is a turnkey system but if not go with a smaller PS and help pay for the ATS.[emoji6]

GreensoldierUSA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its going to be a full custom system so I can have it built however. the tank will be a 60x36x24 just not sure on what size for the sump to set it for a ATS. I already have the skimmer it is used on my current tank but id rather not have to buy a whole new skimmer. this one is 4mths old lol. reef octo 300 int

heavy load 20 fish mixed reef.

Last edited:

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on when the new spray bars are going to be available?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like my mag pump throttled back a bit it is.
Danner Mag pumps have some of the best head loss characteristics. Mag 3 would do for sure, Mag 2 might even be OK. Rio 1100 is what I stock, at 12" head you get over 200 GPH of flow usually pretty easily
I will be stepping down in size to a 225g island style tank. That being said I have a large skimmer which is rated for about double this tank volume. Would i be ok using same skimmer with which ATS?
heavy load 20 fish mixed reef.
Offhand, I would go with an L4. But with a very oversized skimmer, you might be able to get away with an L2
Any idea on when the new spray bars are going to be available?
They are supposed to be here next week!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back