Introducing Tomini tang to established scopas

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We want to introduce one of our tomini’s into the 125gal with our scopas. The scopas has had other tankmates, but no other tangs. Right now it’s just him and our lawnmower blenny.

The Scopas is about 4-5” long now from nose to tail, the tomini’s are only 2-3”. Should we wait for a bigger tomini to come in, or will this size be fine to introduce? Dont want anyone to be bullied

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wont be introduced for a few weeks yet, so I’ve been feeding the tomini’s multiple times a day to try and get some size on while they quarantine.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be okay, but it's a bit of a gamble to add a tang to an adult scopas that has owned a 125 as the only big fish. A mirror and a acclimation box of some kind wouldn't be a bad idea.

I actually have a scopas and tomini, along with a foxface, in my 125. The 2 tangs don't really interact, believe it or not. The tomini is smaller and was added first. The scopas was added second, and it tried to give the business to the foxface when it was added, but that didn't last due to the foxface's size and especially its spines.

I know that's kind of wishy-washy. Good luck.

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be okay, but it's a bit of a gamble to add a tang to an adult scopas that has owned a 125 as the only big fish. A mirror and a acclimation box of some kind wouldn't be a bad idea.

I actually have a scopas and tomini, along with a foxface, in my 125. The 2 tangs don't really interact, believe it or not. The tomini is smaller and was added first. The scopas was added second, and it tried to give the business to the foxface when it was added, but that didn't last due to the foxface's size and especially its spines.

I know that's kind of wishy-washy. Good luck.
Thank you so much! I will definitely try the mirror trick and i do plan to keep the tomini in an acclimation box for a bit before releasing him. I hope they do well, my scopas is very interactive and seems nice, but he’s also very forward and will race you along the glass/eat from hands etc. not scared of cameras either. Ive noticed so much confidence in solitary fish usually translates to aggression. We will see how he does

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back