Ion Selective Electrodes (ISE)

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with diy solutions utilizing Ion Selective Electrodes?

I haven't heard much about their use in the aquarium industry, but I did find a press release for GHLs ION Director which mentions they developed a multi-Ion Selective Electrode.

Also wondering if ISE in a marine aquarium require a reference EC measurement due to the high conductivity of seawater?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't toyed with them, but they do exist for some interesting types, like Ca+, and a Ca/Mg less-selective type.

Looks like its basically a pairing of common electrodes. Those Cole-Parmer models are pricey as expected for an analytical electrode ($300 for Ca+), but probably can be had cheaper from direct imports? I'll need to check around a bit.

IMHO the Ca and Ca/Mg are the most interesting, as it can be a proxy for calcium uptake.

OP
OP
N

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also looking at those Cole-Parmer ones; some very interesting options for sure.

ISE definitely seem to be pricey, but the idea of not having to stock reagents for something like a colorimeter based tester sounds nice.

OP
OP
N

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The replacement probes for the Pinpoint sensors might be a decent retail option. At ~150USD they are certainly cheaper than the Cole-Parmer or Hanna ISE

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
N

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find. I tried searching for Rex and couldn't find anything.

I'm guessing these function similar to a pH probe? So connect them to a similar type of voltage measuring circuit?

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with diy solutions utilizing Ion Selective Electrodes?

I haven't heard much about their use in the aquarium industry, but I did find a press release for GHLs ION Director which mentions they developed a multi-Ion Selective Electrode.

Also wondering if ISE in a marine aquarium require a reference EC measurement due to the high conductivity of seawater?

No experience but they have a quite a few and what's nice when you view a probe and go to requirements they have plenty of resources to get them working, should be the same for other brands.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find. I tried searching for Rex and couldn't find anything.

I'm guessing these function similar to a pH probe? So connect them to a similar type of voltage measuring circuit?

Yeah, looks to be effectively the same. They may require different gain depending on the sensor element range, but thats easy to adjust. Most calibration solutions are two point (10, 1000ppm, or sometimes higher) which is perfectly in range.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience but they have a quite a few and what's nice when you view a probe and go to requirements they have plenty of resources to get them working, should be the same for other brands.

Good find, never ran into their little interfaces before.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vernier has a great selection with replaceable membrane modules. Has anyone used these? They interface with an arduino amongst other things.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, has anyone interfaced these ISE probes with a controller (Apex, Hydros, GHL, etc) or even with an arduino/raspberry pi?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back