Is a trouble ticket in order for my Trident?

Neptune

am3gross

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
I have not been able to get the Trident to read over 9 since I recalibrated it.

Current measurements are:

ALK-10.5 Hannah, 10.7 Salifert, Trident- 8.89
CAL- 425 Salifert, 402 Trident
MG- 1355 Trident

I have calibrated the Trident with new fluid. I have switched the Reagent A also ( same batch). I have tried calibrating the Trident to my saltwater, since I know what the numbers are. This morning I cleaned out the covet. ( It was not dirty at all) And currently I have just replaced all 3 reagents and will calibrate with the new fluid once more.

Trident is about 6 months old.

Did I miss anything?

First Choice

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
my parameters are off as well my trident is only a week old i was gonna do the same as you and calibrate with my tank water but they do not recommend it mines dosent read above 9 its 8.25 but my hanna is reading 9.2 i contacted them just waiting to hear back if i was you i would do the same

OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
my parameters are off as well my trident is only a week old i was gonna do the same as you and calibrate with my tank water but they do not recommend it mines dosent read above 9 its 8.25 but my hanna is reading 9.2 i contacted them just waiting to hear back if i was you i would do the same
Man I will do it, IF you hear something before me would you mind sharing? I will do the same of course. I wonder if it has something to do with the update.

Champion Lighting & Supply

Billldg

GHL Bound
View Badges
Reaction score
Have you updated the Apex unit to the latest update? I briefly read thru it and it mentioned the Trident.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
so if you measure the calibaration solution with your test kits do you put your numbers instead of the ones on the bottle?

OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
so if you measure the calibaration solution with your test kits do you put your numbers instead of the ones on the bottle?
That is what I did last time and it has worked well until now. With the new reagents and the new cal fluid I measured at 9.6, which is still 1.0 off. I am sticking my numbers from testing in now and I will report back. If I dont have to use the rest of this cal fluid I will put it in the Hannah and see what I get for ***** and giggles.

I did update the Apex...

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I put the numbers that are on the bottle. Even the hanna checkers are hobby grade test kits prone to some user error. The numbers on the bottle are likely very accurate. Just know that your test kits will probably vary from what's on the bottle.

In my case the hanna measured the Dkh about 1Dkh higher than what was on the bottle. When running my Dkh about 7.5 per hanna stuff didnt look so great I now run at 8.5 per Apex wich would measure 9.5 with hanna.

For me I trust apex over the hanna.

OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
I put the numbers that are on the bottle. Even the hanna checkers are hobby grade test kits prone to some user error. The numbers on the bottle are likely very accurate. Just know that your test kits will probably vary from what's on the bottle.

In my case the hanna measured the Dkh about 1Dkh higher than what was on the bottle. When running my Dkh about 7.5 per hanna stuff didnt look so great I now run at 8.5 per Apex wich would measure 9.5 with hanna.

For me I trust apex over the hanna.
Considering how much money I have invested in the Apex system I WANT to agree with you, however when it comes to the ALK I measure with both Hannah and Salifert, and those 2 are pretty close. For Calcium I have both as well, but the bad reviews for the Hannah Calcium makes me not want to trust that source. Plus it is like a science experiment with the Hannah... So for calcium it is the Salifert manual test vs the trident, which is pretty accurate in my experience thus far.

Corals.com
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
just checked the hannah against the cal fluid, 9.2 was my number, trident says 8.6.. I think I will order new test kits (better) and see what happens. At the end of the day, I know my numbers are still good, either way.

Lance Umansky

View Badges
Reaction score
My Hanna and Trident tested within 0.2 , I think even tighter when I first got the trident. And it corresponded with IMO even more accurte Tropic Marin alk test. I have done all the updates. ANd before and after my calibration I just did on the Trident (on doing a refill) the trident is reading way low. 1.0 less than the hanna and about .7 less than TMarin. I'll be really upset if this continues as I bought the trident almost exclusively to monitor and control alk. It was already a difficult purchase.

The Ca measurement is pretty much garbage. Im getting results as I have read about they drift up. Way over 500 before calibration now 395 after. Whats the point of the trident again? << well maybe at the least I can still use it to make sure the alk doesnt vary too much. and just "know" that 6 on trident = 7 in reality.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I bought it to help with testing but wasn’t for me numbers were always off saw myself chasing numbers just because of it a lot of people swear by it others do not that’s part of the hobby i

Maxout
Neptune

Have you ever had a reef tank with no sump and how did it go?

• YES and it was just fine

Votes: 311 58.3%
  • YES but it was difficult

Votes: 99 18.6%
  • NO

Votes: 112 21.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.1%
Pieces of the Ocean