OP
OP
Jdadams

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I love a good reef argument. I can definitely see where both sides come from on to use bottled bacteria or not. I’ve only ever started tanks from new and did the usual cycle of just waiting patiently. I’ve never swapped things from one tank to another new tank and since I only used part of the rock and part of the water from the old tank, I didn’t know if that would be good enough to be able to go ahead and swap all my coral over. I think I have reached a conclusion of just buying a bottle and pouring half in and call it a day.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought it was a reef argument, its either validating 300 examples of your job logged already with year updates on most tanks, or invalidating them with no replacement links or examples. both links on prior page are your job already done and tracked out...fear has been inserted into the thread unfounded. only fear would sell the bac to a cycled set of rocks when the outcome has already been charted and no fails exist for the job.

am not mad the marketers won out it gives me things to write about. Groupthink and groupsales is amazing market study any way sliced.

check out this thread's title

your tank transfer job is rule #1, the very first rule written.

even after all this, the market wins he he its awesome. they drive vettes with this stuff, its pure capitalistic gold. I applaud bottle bac salesman for aligning an entire willing market in their favor

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I love a good reef argument. I can definitely see where both sides come from on to use bottled bacteria or not. I’ve only ever started tanks from new and did the usual cycle of just waiting patiently. I’ve never swapped things from one tank to another new tank and since I only used part of the rock and part of the water from the old tank, I didn’t know if that would be good enough to be able to go ahead and swap all my coral over. I think I have reached a conclusion of just buying a bottle and pouring half in and call it a day.
I've done this experimenting with same rock setting up qt stations on much smaller scale. Its truly not needed and adding the bottle bac I only seen wierd ph swings. If there's no ammonia im not really sure what the bottle bac is doing other than screwing with the chemistry of cycled healthy rock. Not sure what else to chalk the stall in alk consumption and wierd ph swings after the bottle bac is introduced?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could distill all lengthy arguments down to one thing it would be this (and I believe any dedicated reading of the threads posted won't reveal alternate patterns, they are 100% relevant to this thread)

-cycles do predictable things in every setting, and at no time do they do unpredictable things-

so when bottle bac is purchased and used, its for specific times where not using it causes death in examples we can look up as web posts.

to use it outside of those events is to ascribe to the notion that cycles can do unpredictable things, and that's just exactly what they want us thinking and its 100% not true, in any case. cycles always behave predictably once we know the arrangement at hand. its so precise that we now for years have been cycling up totally dry rock systems using zero testing at all, merely timelining (as any common 80 year old cycle chart shows on the time axis)

*because cycles are so predictable after day 10-12 submersion, no cycling chart in history has an ammonia line that rises back up after it drops, on about day ten. search one out to see the pattern... no matter the website, all cycle charts are the same timeline that's a neat detail nobody discusses in cycling debates.

that water bacteria may unadapt, and be unpredictable in water, is a very 2000's+ training notion I can assure anyone of that. right when bac sales hit bigtime the lie took off.

Last edited:

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could distill all lengthy arguments down to one thing it would be this (and I believe any dedicated reading of the threads posted won't reveal alternate patterns, they are 100% relevant to this thread)

-cycles do predictable things in every setting, and at no time do they do unpredictable things-

so when bottle bac is purchased and used, its for specific times where not using it causes death in examples we can look up as web posts.

to use it outside of those events is to ascribe to the notion that cycles can do unpredictable things, and that's just exactly what they want us thinking and its 100% not true, in any case. cycles always behave predictably once we know the arrangement at hand. its so precise that we now for years have been cycling up totally dry rock systems using zero testing at all, merely timelining (as any common 80 year old cycle chart shows on the time axis)

*because cycles are so predictable after day 10-12 submersion, no cycling chart in history has an ammonia line that rises back up after it drops, on about day ten. search one out to see the pattern... no matter the website, all cycle charts are the same timeline that's a neat detail nobody discusses in cycling debates.

that water bacteria may unadapt, and be unpredictable in water, is a very 2000's+ training notion I can assure anyone of that. right when bac sales hit bigtime the lie took off.
I agree with you as far as cycling. I want to add one thought regarding dry rock starts with bottle bac-
Starting with brand A of bottle bac will absolutely cycle when dosed accordingly. Your extensive work threads have shown this time and again.

Supplementing, later, with brand B, C, or both maybe beneficial in adding bacterial diversity. Assuming each brand is a proprietary formulation of bacteria. I would assume they each contain mostly the same bacteria, with some component of additional strains. Any thoughts on this?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back