Is my birdsnest dying?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this RTN? I got this coral frag for free and I'm not too knowledgeable about keeping sps coral. What does this look like to you?

I have
.08 phos
5 nitrate
8.4 dkh
8.2 ph
idk my calc or mag unfortunately
Redsea blue bucket salt

1 foxface
2 clowns
1 neon goby
1 YWG and pistol shrimp combo
1 urchin
4 cleaner shrimp
3 large Mexican grazing snailS

No dips and been in the tank for about a month before this started. Incase video doesn't work:

Attachments

• 20221223_092556.mp4
    90.7 MB
Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this RTN? I got this coral frag for free and I'm not too knowledgeable about keeping sps coral. What does this look like to you?
I can’t see the video and other iphone users are likely the same, if possible a white light photo from each angle will be best :)
For example these are a few photos I got of my Miyagi tort recently;
BBEF9783-3762-4469-B8F4-E530855F745F.jpeg

DFF5388C-E69D-42E8-AD2C-E310FA879846.jpeg

5564D4E7-16E4-48EB-9E0D-B9B1F5B06FE1.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Polyp Bailout, however I can’t say why, do you have any fish that perch in these corals? A list of fish and inverts from your tank will work to help us figure out if they’re bailing due to nipping or if it’s purely just due to the nutrients or lighting/flow issues.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Polyp Bailout, however I can’t say why, do you have any fish that perch in these corals? A list of fish and inverts from your tank will work to help us figure out if they’re bailing due to nipping or if it’s purely just due to the nutrients or lighting/flow issues.
1 foxface
2 clowns
1 neon goby
1 urchin
4 cleaner shrimp

Maybe a snail messed with it? I don't know anything about polyp bailout

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 foxface
2 clowns
1 neon goby
1 urchin
4 cleaner shrimp
None of those fish or inverts are known for nipping SPS coral (Foxes can nip things like zoas but it’s not common for them to do this).
What is the PAR and Flow like in that area?

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those fish or inverts are known for nipping SPS coral (Foxes can nip things like zoas but it’s not common for them to do this).
What is the PAR and Flow like in that area?
Flow is medium and par is around 170-200 depending on surface agitation. I can't find any info on their par requirements

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also just realised you have the nutrients on the original post (I missed that). Phosphate is high, I keep mine at 0.45 and 0.6 on a ‘bad’ day. Your Nitrates sat at 5 are also rather high compared to what we would usually recommend however they are still in that safe range - just try stay at 5ppm and no higher.
Flow is medium and par is around 170-200 depending on surface agitation. I can't find any info on their par requirements
I keep all my Birds Nests at 300 (maybe 350) minimum, my caliendrum is sat at around 350 (possibly 375). From the looks of it you have a Seriatopora guttatus or Seriatopora caliendrum and I personally try to keep these in higher PAR so a minimum of 300.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also just realised you have the nutrients on the original post (I missed that). Phosphate is high, I keep mine at 0.45 and 0.6 on a ‘bad’ day. Your Nitrates sat at 5 are also rather high compared to what we would usually recommend however they are still in that safe range - just try stay at 5ppm and no higher.

I keep all my Birds Nests at 300 (maybe 350) minimum, my caliendrum is sat at around 350 (possibly 375). From the looks of it you have a Seriatopora guttatus or Seriatopora caliendrum and I personally try to keep these in higher PAR so a minimum of 300.
Ok, it was supposed to say 0.08 lol.

If I turn my lights up, my sandbed becomes 200 par. My zoas and ricordia really wouldn't like that. Right? Should I cut off the limbs with no polyps?
You sure it isn't narcrosis? Looks like it to me but I'm also clueless...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it was supposed to say 0.08 lol.

If I turn my lights up, my sandbed becomes 200 par. My zoas and ricordia really wouldn't like that. Right? Should I cut off the limbs with no polyps?
You sure it isn't narcrosis? Looks like it to me but I'm also clueless...
From what I’ve seen RTN starts from the base and works it’s way up whilst Polyp Bailout is the polyps just ‘detaching’ in small groups randomly.

I have my ricordea Florida in 300 PAR in my nano and he loves it. My Ricordea yuma in my 4’ tank is in around 300 PAR too and again, they love it (and high flow). I also have Zoa’s in my nano and again, they’re in 300 PAR and love it.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve seen RTN starts from the base and works it’s way up whilst Polyp Bailout is the polyps just ‘detaching’ in small groups randomly.

I have my ricordea Florida in 300 PAR in my nano and he loves it. My Ricordea yuma in my 4’ tank is in around 300 PAR too and again, they love it (and high flow). I also have Zoa’s in my nano and again, they’re in 300 PAR and love it.
Okay my good sir, keep your phone handy I will message you soon, I will change it now. I have crappy lights because I couldn't afford good ones, there's no intensity slider but I can change each Channel individually. What do you recommend? Do you even have any recommendations? I will show you what I mean. By this, I mean I don't know what channels are best for coral. All I know is blue is a main factor

20221223_095936.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay my good sir, keep your phone handy I will message you soon, I will change it now. I have crappy lights because I couldn't afford good ones, there's no intensity slider but I can change each Channel individually. What do you recommend? Do you even have any recommendations? I will show you what I mean. By this, I mean I don't know what channels are best for coral. All I know is blue is a main factor

20221223_095936.jpg
Here’s what I have my lights set to (they aren’t pushing 100% though as when they do that I get to the point I risk bleaching corals - 600 par on the sandbed alone).
A522D5E5-2443-424E-B6E4-784C0A1F06ED.jpeg

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I have my lights set to (they aren’t pushing 100% though as when they do that I get to the point I risk bleaching corals - 600 par on the sandbed alone).
A522D5E5-2443-424E-B6E4-784C0A1F06ED.jpeg
Should I cut off the limbs that have polyp bailout? I technically got the coral for free. So I'm not too attached. The tanks only been running for 8 months and I traded it for phytoplankton that I grew.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I cut off the limbs that have polyp bailout? I technically got the coral for free. So I'm not too attached. The tanks only been running for 8 months and I traded it for phytoplankton that I grew.
I personally wouldn’t as the coral will grow back over the old skeleton once it’s happy :)

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t as the coral will grow back over the old skeleton once it’s happy :)
Ok. Like I said I'm not too attached and I'm not nearly experienced enough with sps. I actually just maxed out my lights so I think I do need to put in some money to buy new ones. I freaking love the Kessel A360X but I'm just a poor boy from a poor family... Scaramouche my friend.

But I guess I'll be upgrading to them when I can...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back