Is my birdsnest dying?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 80% on the first two before. Here's to hoping. I don't Have 1k for lights lol
That’s the best thing about a tank upgrade - you can get everything you need as often an LFS will sell second hand tanks for much less than normal.
One thing I will say is that many of us seem to have Corals that just bail out on us for no reason (or some stupid reason), here’s my ‘death corner’ in my nano tank. I think my tort and red planet both have RTN which isn’t great, and the red planet never coloured up whilst my LFS that has frags from the same colony and the same age has their all coloured up perfectly (and I run the same lighting as they do).
30B686B0-A0A6-42B8-B9A5-BB65566FBFCD.jpeg

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like someone tasted that.
4 cleaner shrimp, they can sometimes get over excited.
Watch them.
Really? I feed them heavily, I have a low phosphate issue. I'm dosing constantly. I check with my hanna. but I'll remove them if I have to. I never heard of cleaners tasting coral

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are. I have a reefwave 45 at 60% shooting across it and another standalone pump on the other side.

I haven't noticed my fox munching on it at all
More flow.
The munching I was thinking more of flatworms or some kind of bugs.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have to be red? I don't have one
Red is ideal however room light will also work - this is how I caught monti eating nudibranchs on my digitata.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I feed them heavily, I have a low phosphate issue. I'm dosing constantly. I check with my hanna. but I'll remove them if I have to. I never heard of cleaners tasting coral
Just thought for the most part, the coral looked good, reminds me of a nip, not necessarily the shrimp.

Shrimps, I removed all 5 years ago. They “bother” stuff in my experience. Big change in extension of some polyps.

Crabs too, same issue.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Let's figure out what the problem is.
This is only guesswork and speculation at this point.

It'll be lower quality until youtube allows it to be higher but he rocks back and forth in the water column.

The only thing I did different, I did a massive sand siphoning. My sand was getting all gunked up with months of detritus. And I cleaned it all at once. I checked ammonia and ammonia is reading zero

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A flashlight is fine but just remember they will scatter when the light comes on so you have to be quick or quick enough to see them.
I don't plan to save this coral. I have someone who can give me a frag of it when I want to try again. The coral isn't glued down very well, I could just pluck it out. Instead of using a flashlight should I just grab it out of the tank and inspect it?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan to save this coral. I have someone who can give me a frag of it when I want to try again. The coral isn't glued down very well, I could just pluck it out. Instead of using a flashlight should I just grab it out of the tank and inspect it?
You can, but IF you have some type of flatworm or bugs, they will not all be on that one coral. They will be around it or on another coral.
I'm just saying, it wouldn't hurt to poke around after lights go out. You will be amazed at the life you see at night that you don't see during the day time.
It would also be peace of mind.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back