Is my YWG acting "normal"?

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I brought home a Yellow Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp 4 days ago. The YWG came from one store, and the Pistol Shrimp came from another. I've been having a very hard time to find a pair at LFS around me, so when I found one of each I decided to go for it.

I obviously want my YWG and shrimp to pair up. Should I be concerned that they haven't yet? It seems like for some people they pair in a day... and for others it takes months. The only reason I'm concerned about them not finding each other is that I haven't seen that shrimp since the 2nd day... and my goby just sits there. On the opposite side of the tank. Should I be concerned that he isn't digging, spitting sand, or sleeping in a cave at night? There's plenty of caves for him to sleep in, yet he just sits on the sand bed and occasionally moves around. Is this normal for YWG? He's possibly still stressed? I had a Randall's Goby before and he was much more active, and always darted into caves.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds a little concerning I would just definitely keep an eye on him as he should be making Burrows and shifting sand for food so it does seem a little strange and yes he can or could still be stressed out I would imagine how did you acclimate him to your system before putting them in there

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds a little concerning I would just definitely keep an eye on him as he should be making Burrows and shifting sand for food so it does seem a little strange and yes he can or could still be stressed out I would imagine how did you acclimate him to your system before putting them in there
Drip acclimation, approximately one drip per second for an hour. He was added at the same time as a bicolor blenny from the same tank at the LFS and the blenny seems to be doing good. Just a little shy.

I did notice that the YWG has some torn fins and kinda looks like he's been through some stuff. Of course, couldn't see that closely in the tank at my store. I'm hoping that he's just stressed and will calm down soon.

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drip acclimation, approximately one drip per second for an hour. He was added at the same time as a bicolor blenny from the same tank at the LFS and the blenny seems to be doing good. Just a little shy.

I did notice that the YWG has some torn fins and kinda looks like he's been through some stuff. Of course, couldn't see that closely in the tank at my store. I'm hoping that he's just stressed and will calm down soon.
Also, I know that the store that I got him from didn't use RO/DI water, they used tap for all their systems (and swore by it) so maybe he's adjusting to that as well?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back