Is this enough filtration for my tank?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 29 gallon tank that I want to turn into a reef tank eventually. It doesn’t have a sump, just hang on the back filtration and a lot of live rock. I just finished cycling it but my nitrates are still somewhat high and I am working on keeping them low. For my filtration all I have on it right now is an Aquamaxx 1.5 protein skimmer, and a DIY HOB refugium made from an aquaclear 70. The aquaclear used to have filtration media in it (sponges, filter pad, polyfilter pad) but I took it all out and turned it into a refugium this past week. I have some marine pure ceramic biomedia in the refugium, about 3 blocks.

Is this enough filtration or no?
Do I absolutely need mechanical filtration like sponges and stuff in a second aquaclear filter? I was thinking of adding an aquaclear 50 and use that to hold polyfilter pads, Chemi pure blue, and filter floss or whatever else I need.

I made the refugium because I need to keep my nitrates low cause I want to have a lot of fish but I’m worried it won’t work correctly. For my light I am using one I bought off amazon, a plant growing light. Do you think it will work fine? Here’s a link to it:

ACKE LED Grow Lights Fixtures...

Why do you think I should do? Keep it the way it is or add another filter with media? Any advice will help. Here are picks of the tank currently. Idk how much live rock but I’m guessing it’s atleast 25 pounds?

AEEA168C-7313-4E60-BC10-9A2ADB53B221.jpeg DED1BAF6-B225-4DC2-B772-8AFFB88F6575.jpeg B8EF4681-B193-4D20-AEB2-F43AF33F6D32.jpeg

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my sons 3 year old 7 gallon nano with live rock, the filter is built into the lid as a trickle filter (it was a fresh water tank) and just has biohome media in it with a little filter floss on top of that and a heater. That is it. It has no other power heads, skimmers, refugium or sumps. It's a really easy setup and really cheap. So to answer your question yes you should have plenty.
Screenshot_20190927-173025_Gallery.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put "a lot of fish" in that tank you will have to perform "a lot of water changes" to keep the water clean enough for long term reef success if you want to keep the more finicky sps corals. Many soft corals will do fine with "dirtier" water, but too many fish in a 29 gallon is going to be a real challenge to keep healthy over time, imo.

The Skimmer and refugium are great for exporting or treating waste products, oxygenating the water and the live rock is also a good substate for bacteria to thrive on which will help with water quality. Please be careful when stocking your tank as a lot of marine fishes need larger tanks than 29 gallons.

GL

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 90litre 24ish us gallon reef with no sump, skimmer or fuge.
All I have is an intank filter box with a return pump with the same biohome media in it, a little floss on top of that to catch big bits. It has a heater, little 900lph powerhead and a cheap jebao wave maker. The tank is 3.5 years old now.
I am struggling with 0 phosphates at the moment though, so it could be better. It just proves you dont need loads of equipment to keep a reef. Sorry don't have a shot under whites
Screenshot_20190926-232203_Gallery.jpg

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do only have 2 clowns and a yellow watchman goby in mine though. So not over stocked. I did have a 4th fish but that died 6 months ago. This was it in its prime before my 0 phosphates issue.

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine depending on your feeding habits, bioload, and husbandry. I would definitely run carbon to help with any coral toxins or other contamination. Watch your numbers closely. They can change quickly when you have less water volume. I love nano tanks but I’m happy having a larger tank to prevent major swings.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back