Is this hobby a perpetual money pit ?

waterbox15aio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this isn’t an inexpensive hobby, it doesn’t have to be an expensive hobby either. You can make a nice reef for a few thousand dollars IMO:

Few tips:
- You don’t need the latest lights, wavemakers, pumps, controllers etc. Look for budget friendly options such as Reefbreeders before dropping $2.5k on a couple Radions.
- Are you replacing the same equipment because it failed? If so, why did it fail? Some pumps, powerheads, etc. are known to be more reliable than others, and $$$ does not equate to reliability. In contrast, mid range pumps like Sicce and Magdrive are workhorses and will likely outlast some fancy $500 DC pump.
- The more equipment you have, the higher your maintenance costs will be. Those extra UV sterlilizer, quad-doser, auto water changer, moonlights, reactor, etc. will all need to be maintained with parts occasionally replace.
- You don’t need to buy a lot of things many do: Zeovit dosing, “designer” coral, $50 tongs, $1000 custom acrylic sump that $500 DC pump, $75 frag racks etc.
- Multiple reefs=multiple equipment. Double the lights, filters etc. If you want multiple tanks, you could save money by plumbing them together.

Last edited:

waterbox15aio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many things adding up…

I’m probably closer to 8k CAD, so that’s about 6k USD.

My guestimate :
1,5k for fish and coral
1,5k for the Fluval Evo (initial buy + upgrades)
3,5k for the 75 gallons (filter, skimmer, ATO, lights, UV sterilizer, microscope, reservoirs, rodi system, etc.)
0,5k electrician bill (dedicated outlets and GFCI plugs)
1k salt, testing kits, reagents, food, bacteria etc.

Keep in mind I buy everything new (not a good fixer upper). I can’t do plumbing and I can’t do electricity.
1) Shop fish and coral from other hobbyists before going to a LFS which will cost 2-3x as much.
2) 1k salts, reagents etc. is a lot. I’d try and reduce dosing for now then test out various one at a time to determine which dosing is making a significant difference or not.
3) Purchases such as a UV sterilizer and microscope are things most hobbyists DON’T have and are perfectly fine. I’d try and evaluate which purchases are needs vs wants/nice to have.
4) You can find recipes online for DIY frozen fish food. Basically grind up a seafood mix in blender then freeze. Also look around for frozen brine shrimp as you can often find hobbiests who bulk import and sell at half that of a LFS.
5) Used doesn’t always mean needs maintenance/repair. Search local forums and you can find lots of equipment used for only a few months or less.

Last edited:

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. For me, it’s because a lot of equipment I bought at first I tried to do cheap but ended up replacing with better quality. Should’ve just gone with the better quality from the start. Additionally, I’ve had a lot of fish and coral die which ends up adding up to be very expensive

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canadian dollars y’all — not US.

Anyway, I thought this at first, too. Little things like I wanted a Nero 3 but someone told me all I needed was this other cheaper wavemaker so I got that and was unhappy. I wanted the features in the Nero and eventually bought it. The difference was night and day — should’ve got it from the start. Thing is, one day I may be very happy to have that backup cheap wavemaker.

Then stuff like, I was testing daily and had to replace the big 3 tests a few times. That can add up!

I think 9-10 months in it has settled down. I don’t need to test daily anymore, and I have most of the things I need right now.

As for corals, you’re gonna want to space those purchases anyway. I started w/a couple softies and went from there. Still haven’t gotten to adding the sps I want. So maybe make a plan: here’s what I want, and here’s when I’ll look to add that. So you can plan purchases more so they don’t take up too much available funds at one time.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in my opinion your spending is way more than necessary. I genuinely don't understand how you spend 1k on salt, testing an food in less than a year.
That’s what I think too, but I don’t think I have bought anything unnecessary. I refrain myself from buying a lot of stuff that I don’t REALLY need.

As for the 1 k, 3 buckets of Red sea salt come to about 325$ delivered (it’s too heavy for me, I can’t pick it up myself).

Then Hanna testers are 80$ bucks each + 25$ for the reagents + delivery. Red Sea Foundation pro kit is 75$. All for reef is another 80$. That’s about 700$ right there, off the top of my head. It adds up very fast !

Bwahahahahahahahaha I own a sailboat and you want to talk about expensive hobbies hahahahahahahaha... I kinda feel better now :/.
It depends on your income, doesn’t it ? I couldn’t afford a sailboat, really.

What is it that you need? Technically reef tanks only NEED rock + light + flow then maintenance stuff like 2 part and/or water changes.
I don’t need anything specific. I just buy what it is I need to buy when something happens. The only thing I will need down the line is two more AI Prime 16 HD (have 2 right now). And that will have to wait.

How did you spend that much on a 75g tank!? That’s how much it cost be to buy and setup my custom 220g system…. Something is very wrong there
Canadian money. I buy everything new, and only good quality products. I can’t do plumbing, or electricty and basically no diy, so it does cost more.

Mine has settled down. Just food, salt, and dosing chemicals and media now. Took about 2 years. In that time I found out what was going to work long term and what wasn't.
That’s what I can’t wait to happen. Hopefully soon, not in two years…

Are you replacing the same equipment because it failed?
Never, I only buy good products and when there is a problem, I use the warranty to get a replacement or get my money back. I’m very diligent about that.

You don’t need to buy a lot of things many do: Zeovit dosing, “designer” coral, $50 tongs, $1000 custom acrylic sump that $500 DC pump, $75 frag racks etc.
I know it’s hard to believe but I don’t think I need any of this stuff. Like I bought a magnetic stirrer to mix the All for reef powder I bought. You might think it’s not necessary, but I can’t physically do it myself and it has to be stirred well. So I needed something to help with that.

Multiple reefs=multiple equipment. Double the lights, filters etc. If you want multiple tanks, you could save money by plumbing them together.
I can’t do plumbing. And I don’t really want multiple tanks. The Evo was a test, to see if I liked reefing. Then I was going to break it down, but had problems with dinos and couldn’t put the new corals I had bought in my DT.

1k salts, reagents etc. is a lot. I’d try and reduce dosing for now then test out various one at a time to determine which dosing is making a significant difference or not.
I haven’t even started dosing. I’m waiting for my order today. My calcium and magnesium are getting low (I waited until I had no more choice) and I can’t do enough WC to compensate, as I am not physically able.

Purchases such as a UV sterilizer and microscope are things most hobbyists DON’T have and are perfectly fine. I’d try and evaluate which purchases are needs vs wants/nice to have.
I’ve been battling dinos for a while now. I started the battle manually, but got nowhere. So I got the UV to help. I got advice here from experienced members and followed their recipes. I was told I should get a microscope, but didn’t want to until I had tried everything. That’s where I am now. The dinos aren’t going away and I need a correct id to fight the right battle. The dinos are affecting the corals so I can’t let it go.

You can find recipes online for DIY frozen fish food. Basically grind up a seafood mix in blender then freeze.
I have been thinking about this. It’s something I will definitely do when things settle down a bit.

As for corals, you’re gonna want to space those purchases anyway. I started w/a couple softies and went from there. Still haven’t gotten to adding the sps I want. So maybe make a plan: here’s what I want, and here’s when I’ll look to add that. So you can plan purchases more so they don’t take up too much available funds at one time.
Yes, that’s what I want to do : have a specific plan and budget, and order once a month only.

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only suggestions.
Buy once and cry once. For example one of my biggest mistakes was not buying Vortechs to begin with. I bought a lot of pumps trying to avoid spending the money for the 4 MP60s and 2 MP40s I ended up with.

By the largest package size you can use. With some stuff the cost goes way down if you buy larger quantities.
I no longer think month to month but months to months.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We hear this all the time about people going broke doing this and I really can't understand what people are spending money on.

My reef is 125 gallons. I spend close to nothing on it. Yes rarely a fish dies of old age or jumping out and I will replace it but if you are successful your fish will live for many years costing pennies a year.

Corals should grow and fill the tank so you should never have to buy new ones.
Chemicals are calcium and alk which costs me maybe if I stretch it 50 bucks a year.

I collect salt water but when I used to buy it, I change about 40 gallons about 4 times a year, so that comes to, I don't know $100.00 a year or so.

I also use clams I buy at a supermarket for food and I do supplement that with mysis which are expensive, but not that bad. Maybe $10.00 a month.

There is some electricity involved. I estimated the cost of my tank once including everything and it came to about $900.00 a year which I don't think is to bad. I think it is much less now. My boat costs that almost every month. :p
This hobby is only expensive if you want it to be. Some of my powerheads are 40 years old and I think my heaters run by steam. I have no dosers or controllers and rarely test anything and my tank has been running continuously since 1971. No problems yet.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say any "money pit" problems says more about the Owners lack of self control on spending than anything else.

Yes a tank of any size will have fixed costs.

Owners seeking nirvana with their tanks will overrun their credit cards

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy once, cry once.

That doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive equipment. It' smore about buying the right, good quality, equipment. I'm not sure I have 9k into this hobby and I've been in it for 11.5 years now. 32gal biocube, 60 cube, 220gal, WB130. 3 different Apex systems, not as many lights as you'd think, 5 different return pumps, maybe 10 total power heads, 3 skimmers. I bought equipment that had a very good reputation for reliability used whenever possible.

The WB130 and an MP40 are the only "emergency" equipment I've bought. Wait, an EB832 as well.

Is it a money pit? Yes, but only as much as I allow it to be.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money pit is harsh, but pretty much any hobby is a "money pit". Rarely do we actually make money on a hobby. We do it because we enjoy it. Some it is cars, or models, or crafts, or boats, or diving, or etc etc. you spend money where you get enjoyment out of it.

Is this a cheap hobby, no. But, you can limit spending and still get great enjoyment from it.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep going more basic in this hobby by attrition of things that break or do not work as expected

Loose rotor Sicce AC pumps last a long time. DC pumps are prone to failure often.
I love the ATI T5 or T5 LED fixture. Just not a big deal swapping bulbs out and coverage is gold standard. Following trends in lighting is insane and expensive
I settled on MP40 pumps as others failed or noisy.
I use the new Neptune brain with an old EB8 as that is what is left working well.
I use the rebranded BRS titanium heaters. They do work well.

Unfortunately if you are serious about hobby all this equipment should have TESTED spares on hand and that is expensive but can be done over a year or two.

Being on the bleeding edge in this hobby IS expensive. The old adage if someone has a vested interest interest in selling you something be wary. I had much better success going basic and using a few youtubers that are proud to show results and failures on the way. I like Coral Euphoria and ReefBum Channel a lot. I copy flow, lighting, etc and results followed slowing in 3 to 6 months and longer. There are others youtubers running experimental tanks and never show result and just talk a lot. That should set off your own alarm bells.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The op must have bought the Mercedes’ Benz plug and play tank, with the top of line powerheads , lights, controller… it’s easy to touch 8k

waterbox15aio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I would strongly consider setting up an automatic mixing station if you have space. It’s limited initial cost and can provide significant help with water changes (availability, mixing, transport etc.) which are alot cheaper than thousands in extra equipment in an attempt to improve filtration.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I would strongly consider setting up an automatic mixing station if you have space. It’s limited initial cost and can provide significant help with water changes (availability, mixing, transport etc.) which are alot cheaper than thousands in extra equipment in an attempt to improve filtration.
Best of luck.
I’m considering it, but it would involve hiring someone to do it, and make holes in the walls or floors since the rodi station is downstairs.

That’s something I will do if I get over the present « money pit » problem and plan to keep the tank many years.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To put it very simple:

Hobby = money pit (when it starts making money it becomes a business)

Business = money maker (if not, it becomes a hobby, or It's a tax deduction scheme or a fraud)

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To put it very simple:

Hobby = money pit (when it starts making money it becomes a business)

Business = money maker (if not, it becomes a hobby, or It's a tax deduction scheme or a fraud)
Well, if we were in the hobby of butterfly observation, for example, I’m sure it wouldn’t cost as much.

Or knitting, lol !

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I need encouragements. Or not. Maybe this is just too expensive for my taste.

I am always, always very well prepared before going into a new project. I had done hundreds of hours of research, reading and watching videos to learn as much as possible on tons of different aspects of the hobby.

After that I set aside a budget, thinking I would have a lot of expenses in the beginning, and that eventually it would calm down . Like it does in freshwater (even though it’s a lot less expensive). After a while, you have all your gear and all you need to buy is food and maintenance products. And enjoy.

But that has not happened with my reef tanks…. So far I must have spent 8k-10k in 9 months. For a 12 gallons and 75 gallons tank (I already had the tank and stand). It seems there is always a problem to fix that needs specific equipment, or products. Every month, I’m thinking : okay, this was the last time I spent so much. But then I need something else that can’t wait.

What I want is to achieve a state where my tank is complete and where I only need to buy new stuff exceptionally, and because I want to (outside of all necessary items). I want my montly budget to be spent on corals, so I can have the tank I dreamed of.

Is this unrealistic ? Should I downsize ?

Right now I’m tight on money because of this hobby I love and it’s not a pleasant feeling. Yeah, I could spend less, but I’ve already spent so much how can I let it go to waste ? Sigh.

Your experience will be appreciated.
Is the “something else that can’t wait“ happen to be a bounce mushroo?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As time goes on it gets cheaper. Water changes aren't needed as often if at all. Dosing supplies are cheap if purchased in bulk. Get a kitchen scale that weighs from grams up to a few pounds. Use it to weigh out your salt and dosing items and bag them up. Each bag should be almost perfect for whatever size WC you need or how much dosing you go through.
It is only a money pit if you are constantly trying to have the newest and greatest. Take advantage of sales and stock up on salt, dosing supplies, and RODI. Good luck!

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It can be an expensive hobby. Or, it can be a pretty cheap hobby. Tank size and the type of coral you keep is a big factor. Hobbies are expensive in general. At least with this one, if you do well, you can make a little bit of money to help pay for the expenses. Can't say that for every hobby.

Back