Is this ich on Triggerfish?

holly_g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! This is a n00b in my aquarium added two days ago. Is this for sure ich? I was hoping for confirmation so I know how to treat him. I'm also nervous that it has already spread to the rest of my tank. IMG_2690.jpg IMG_2688.jpg IMG_2690.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2691.MOV
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_2692.MOV
    8.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi! This is a n00b in my aquarium added two days ago. Is this for sure ich? I was hoping for confirmation so I know how to treat him. I'm also nervous that it has already spread to the rest of my tank. IMG_2690.jpg IMG_2688.jpg IMG_2690.jpg
Yes it does appear to be
You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that appears to be ich. Another option to copper would be hyposalinity:

Neither hypo or copper can be run with invertebrates in the tank though.

OP
OP
holly_g

holly_g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I appreciate the confirmation. I don't have an alternative tank to put all of my fish from this 75 gallon tank in yet. I am considering beginning that process but I called my LFS since they sold me the fish. They recommended using this product on the entire tank: https://www.polyplab.com/products/medic I'd be curious to hear why or why not you would use something like that rather than the copper or hyposalinity treatments.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see youre in colorado. You didnt get that trigger from MC Aquatics did you?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Liquid Kingdom. I'm in NW Denver. Why do you ask?
Ah. Cause they had that exact same trigger. I tried to rescue a foxface that they said had ich and turned out to be velvet and the plumbing connects together for all their tanks so I was concerned that was the same trigger which would mean it was more likely velvet than ich based on the foxface I tried to rescue!

OP
OP
holly_g

holly_g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Cause they had that exact same trigger. I tried to rescue a foxface that they said had ich and turned out to be velvet and the plumbing connects together for all their tanks so I was concerned that was the same trigger which would mean it was more likely velvet than ich based on the foxface I tried to rescue!
Oh wow! What a small world. That's terrifying that all of their tank's pluming connects together. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I was just looking on Google and it looks like a really nice shop.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! What a small world. That's terrifying that all of their tank's pluming connects together. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I was just looking on Google and it looks like a really nice shop.
So your user name is correct then! lol had to.
I have read multiple posts saying medic does not help ich. You can search them here. But let the reef docs answer for sure.

OP
OP
holly_g

holly_g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your user name is correct then! lol had to.
I have read multiple posts saying medic does not help ich. You can search them here. But let the reef docs answer for sure.
Thanks for the info!

And lol! :grinning-face-with-sweat:I'm a software engineer and can find just about anything on google to support my every day coding life, but when it comes to fish, I can never find what I need unless it's on a forum! I was actually just thinking about how AI might be able to identify some of these fishy conditions and help us all thrive in the future...

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at Humble Fish's forum. lots of info there for treatment and prevention. There has been some success with peroxide dosing in the DT.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I appreciate the confirmation. I don't have an alternative tank to put all of my fish from this 75 gallon tank in yet. I am considering beginning that process but I called my LFS since they sold me the fish. They recommended using this product on the entire tank: https://www.polyplab.com/products/medic I'd be curious to hear why or why not you would use something like that rather than the copper or hyposalinity treatments.
It has worked for me, but only when there are only a few spots on the fish. If the disease is more advanced, you need other methodes, like the ones that were suggested to you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is a form of peroxide salts and ineffective in many cases and at $40 you may not be happy. General cure is a safer bet but you can utilize a clear tub to substitute a hospital tank

1705611693110.png

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it can be nice. More for freshwater though. Theres a new guy who took over the saltwater section and is trying to turn it around so I have some hope for them. But I love Aquatic Art and Neptunes the most! If you ever are in the southern metro area 100% recommend those two.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!

And lol! :grinning-face-with-sweat:I'm a software engineer and can find just about anything on google to support my every day coding life, but when it comes to fish, I can never find what I need unless it's on a forum! I was actually just thinking about how AI might be able to identify some of these fishy conditions and help us all thrive in the future...
Wait a minute did your user name just change? lol I liked it. I had a guy that used to come in where I worked and ask weird question. He had Google it tattooed on his knuckles. Id just stare at his hands going uh......

OP
OP
holly_g

holly_g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute did your user name just change? lol I liked it. I had a guy that used to come in where I worked and ask weird question. He had Google it tattooed on his knuckles. Id just stare at his hands going uh......
Yes, I requested to change it this morning. I felt like nobody would understand and then you came along! I might have to change it back. What a fun tattoo! This site is pretty funny if someone asks you a question they should be asking google: https://letmegooglethat.com/

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had success using sea chem metroplex and focus to soak in my fish’s food. Mild cases here and there but vetteguy’s suggestion of a hospital tank is by far the most effective

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp Lab Medic is a peroxide salt. In theory, peroxides at high doses can cure protozoan diseases, but at high doses, they also kill invertebrates - so this product is a low dose and is also often not effective. It really only works in conjunction with other ich management techniques:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back