Is this ick? Clownfish

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the discoloration around his gill plate. He’s been hanging out in the top corner of my tank all evening like he’s trying to get out of the water.

IMG_7659.jpeg IMG_7658.jpeg IMG_7657.jpeg

OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the other fish in the tank have anything or have any abnormal behavior.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The breathing issue may suggest brooklynela as compared to ich - though I can see the spots - can you give any more information (QT, parameters etc). Any other fish with issues. Are you sure your water is well oxygenated - and that the ammonia is ok? Is there any aggression with any other fish?

OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing issue may suggest brooklynela as compared to ich - though I can see the spots - can you give any more information (QT, parameters etc). Any other fish with issues. Are you sure your water is well oxygenated - and that the ammonia is ok? Is there any aggression with any other fish?
No other fish with issues. The ammonia and nitrates were slightly elevated but I just fed them. I dumped some Prime in to temporarily fix it until I can larger water change. The blower from the pump is pointed at the surface for oxygenation. The other clownfish I have has been poking at this one but they’ve always done that for a year.

I have a powder tang, cleaner shrimp, corals, two urchins, a cardinal, and a royal gramma in the tank that don’t have issues as of now.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No other fish with issues. The ammonia and nitrates were slightly elevated but I just fed them. I dumped some Prime in to temporarily fix it until I can larger water change. The blower from the pump is pointed at the surface for oxygenation. The other clownfish I have has been poking at this one but they’ve always done that for a year.

I have a powder tang, cleaner shrimp, corals, two urchins, a cardinal, and a royal gramma in the tank that don’t have issues as of now.
I am not sure that prime is what you need - but rather a water change. However, I don't know what the ammonia is - so it's hard to say. FWIW - if you have all of those inverts and fish and only the clown is having an issue - that mitigates against ammonia or oxygen as a cause to a degree - have you added any other fish? lately?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not sure about the discoloration around his gill plate. He’s been hanging out in the top corner of my tank all evening like he’s trying to get out of the water.

IMG_7659.jpeg IMG_7658.jpeg IMG_7657.jpeg
These are secondary bacterial lesions likely associated with brooklynella and often confused with ich. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a powder tang, cleaner shrimp, corals, two urchins, a cardinal, and a royal gramma in the tank that don’t have issues as of

I am not sure that prime is what you need - but rather a water change. However, I don't know what the ammonia is - so it's hard to say. FWIW - if you have all of those inverts and fish and only the clown is having an issue - that mitigates against ammonia or oxygen as a cause to a degree - have you added any other fish? lately?
The tang and the cardinal are new as of about two weeks ago. The tang has been in my LFS for over a month and the cardinal since August though so I don’t think they’d have issues right? LFS is very clean in their tanks.

Also looking closer, the clown’s fins are pretty beat up. Maybe he’s been getting picked on more?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tang and the cardinal are new as of about two weeks ago. The tang has been in my LFS for over a month and the cardinal since August though so I don’t think they’d have issues right? LFS is very clean in their tanks.

Also looking closer, the clown’s fins are pretty beat up. Maybe he’s been getting picked on more?
But none were quarantined with medication, correct? I agree with the suggestion by Vetteguy that Ruby Rally Pro could be used

OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But none were quarantined with medication, correct? I agree with the suggestion by Vetteguy that Ruby Rally Pro could be used
I don’t have another tank to put them in. What would you recommend I do? What about my corals?

OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are secondary bacterial lesions likely associated with brooklynella and often confused with ich. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
I don’t have another tank to put him in. What about my corals? What would you recommend I do?

OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just gave him a freshwater bath and put him in a small container with some ick treatment I had lying around. This is what he looks like now. He’s more active swimming around now.

Attachments

• IMG_7661.jpeg
    IMG_7661.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7660.jpeg
    IMG_7660.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 7

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just gave him a freshwater bath and put him in a small container with some ick treatment I had lying around. This is what he looks like now. He’s more active swimming around now.
Any relief you've given will be temporary and what ever ich treatment used won't eliminate anything. Unfortunately the treatment recommended by vetteguy is the best route

OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any relief you've given will be temporary and what ever ich treatment used won't eliminate anything. Unfortunately the treatment recommended by vetteguy is the best route
Is it safe to use with corals?

OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can’t find ruby rally pro will general cure work??

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
General cure would not work.
I would check the Ruby rally Pro website to see which corals may be affected - as compared to which corals you have. I do know that the best recommendation (and also from them) - is a separate tank. Another option is leaving your fish in the tank - and move your inverts to another tank. But I'm assuming thats impossible

OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure would not work.
I would check the Ruby rally Pro website to see which corals may be affected - as compared to which corals you have. I do know that the best recommendation (and also from them) - is a separate tank. Another option is leaving your fish in the tank - and move your inverts to another tank. But I'm assuming thats impossible
Thanks for the help. You’re totally sure it has brook then?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. You’re totally sure it has brook then?
Brook is something that acts very quickly so if it's a consideration it's best to treat as such. Having the fish in a seperate quarantine tank makes things much easier to medicate and switch protocols if something else does rear it's head.

Here is an article that details setting one up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If I can’t find ruby rally pro will general cure work??
Yes as it contains a small level of prazi. Other option is Ruby Rally Pro which takes a little longer.
There has Not been formalin for some time which there is only formaldehyde and is risky as it has to be broken down to 37%

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 188 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back