Jason's Reefer 250: Fish added! Sump Mod, Clarisea, custom plumbing, aquascape w/E-Marco, IKEA cabinet mod. (Pic heavy!)

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing around with GIPHY. :)

RedseaReefEnergyAB.gif

schaNYC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great build and more importantly documenting skills with great photos.

Curious why I don’t see Red Sea reefer builds using these metric/imperial conversion fittings. Instead all the build threads I see are still using the Red Sea adapter with Teflon tape. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Curious why I don’t see Red Sea reefer builds using these metric/imperial conversion fittings. Instead all the build threads I see are still using the Red Sea adapter with Teflon tape. Thoughts?

Thank you! This thread has been quite a joy for me because it combines so many of my hobbies... Reefing, electronics, diy, and photography. :)

I considered those connectors when setting up my tank, but decided against them because of drop height. With my build and the suspended reactors, you don't have much vertical space to work with. Dropping the pipes down even an inch starts to make things feel very cramped and the Reefer 250 sump is already very tight.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just replaced my sump and piping in my Red Sea Reefer yesterday, I waited a month to find metric/imperial conversion fittings. By time I got the email that they were in stock they were sold out again so I used this thread to order parts. The Red Sea adaptor and male connector everyone else has is sufficient. It is a bit more expensive though but in stock.

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my sump and piping in my Red Sea Reefer yesterday, I waited a month to find metric/imperial conversion fittings. By time I got the email that they were in stock they were sold out again so I used this thread to order parts. The Red Sea adaptor and male connector everyone else has is sufficient. It is a bit more expensive though but in stock.

Agreed. To reassure others who may be worried about the Red Sea adaptor 'hack', I have to say it's really easy to do and so far hasn't given me any problems at all. (And countless people on these forums have done it.) It's easy to source the parts and do yourself and probably provides the most elegant and space saving plumbing solution. Despite my somewhat complex sump setup, the only plumbing issue I've encountered is hacking the AquaMaxx reactors with the double O-rings to get them to hang straight down. (See a few pages back on that. In the end, it was just a matter of playing with the O-rings and not over tightening them.)

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. To reassure others who may be worried about the Red Sea adaptor 'hack', I have to say it's really easy to do and so far hasn't given me any problems at all. (And countless people on these forums have done it.) It's easy to source the parts and do yourself and probably provides the most elegant and space saving plumbing solution. Despite my somewhat complex sump setup, the only plumbing issue I've encountered is hacking the AquaMaxx reactors with the double O-rings to get them to hang straight down. (See a few pages back on that. In the end, it was just a matter of playing with the O-rings and not over tightening them.)

I agree on the elegance especially after seeing the size of the unions. I had a slow drip so I added more tape and things have been good since. Thanks for doing your build thread it helped me greatly.

TeotheCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm restarting my reefer 170. I was wondering where did you get your cheato and if it was clean. I was planning to buy some but the reviews sometimes say there were pest.

Thank you. Appreciate you taking the time to make such a detailed post.

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm restarting my reefer 170. I was wondering where did you get your cheato and if it was clean. I was planning to buy some but the reviews sometimes say there were pest.

Hi, good luck with your 170! I posted about my chaeto and refugium pods in my earlier post here:

TeotheCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Hi, good luck with your 170! I posted about my chaeto and refugium pods in my earlier post here:

Thank you. I must have missed that part as I thought the copepod were purchased from Algagen. I will buy from them. Hopefully no pest.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Eight have you been running your clarisea from day one during cycle? Did you leave it off and let the water run through it during cycle?

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot. Any thoughts on miracle mud in the refugium?

I've never used miracle mud, only chaeto. I like being able to vacuum out my refugium periodically. Years ago, the only option to starting tanks was to use real live rock, real sand, etc. which has the benefit of bringing in a lot of surprise bio diversity. This tank for me was very different as everything alive that has been added to the tank has been planned... from the bio starter to the copepods and amphipods, every coral has been dipped, etc. So far, I have found my tank to be much cleaner and the chemistry to be easier to manage than in the past. I might feel differently about this long term, but being able to control everything that's gone into the tank and optimize for being pest free has made maintenance much simpler. I literally have zero visible nuisance algae in my display tank, which is something I've never been able to achieve in the past.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Eight have you been running your clarisea from day one during cycle? Did you leave it off and let the water run through it during cycle?

Nope, I've been running it since day 1 of the cycle. I have noticed I am going through more filter material now that the tank is settled, corals and fish are being fed, etc.

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent build thread Jason. Viewing from the UK. I retrofitted a clarisea sk5000 into my 250v3 sump. Works well. Only thing I wish I'd done differently is install before getting the sump up and running and wet.

IMG_20200504_102609.jpg IMG_20200504_102600.jpg

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eight what post(s) is your IKEA mod? Great setup BTW.

HI! It's linked off of the first page of this thread, but here it is as well:

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent build thread Jason. Viewing from the UK. I retrofitted a clarisea sk5000 into my 250v3 sump. Works well. Only thing I wish I'd done differently is install before getting the sump up and running and wet.

IMG_20200504_102609.jpg IMG_20200504_102600.jpg

Looking nice! How is the stock valve working out for you? I never actually ran it since I replaced the plumbing on day one because I had heard they were fiddly.

I do love the clarisea!

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking nice! How is the stock valve working out for you? I never actually ran it since I replaced the plumbing on day one because I had heard they were fiddly.

I do love the clarisea!

After a year of use I find it EXTREMELY VOLITILE! One day its set perfect and then the next it's either too high or low! Hard work! Should have installed a gate valve!

How's your tank getting on?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back