Jaysushi's Cadlights Versa 42 Reef

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R members! I'm doing my very first tank thread. I recently picked up a Cadlights Versa 42 aquarium in late April. The tank went wet on May 6th and is in the cycling process.

Here is the equipment list!
AI Hydra 26HD
Reef Octopus Classic 110 Space Saver Protein Skimmer
Jebao SW-8 Wavemaker
Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 Return Pump
50lbs Marco Rocks
40lbs Tropic Eden Mesoflakes
Smart ATO Micro

I'm very excited to start stocking this tank once it is ready. This is my third tank that I've owned. My very first tank with a separate sump. The previous tanks that I have owned were a IM Nuvo 20, and a Nuvo 25 Lagoon. Both were great tanks, but of course I got that itch to want to upgrade and I believe the Versa 42 was the smart decision. It's the perfect size for me and definitely offers more than enough room, coming from my past tanks.

I will post along as the tank begins to progress more! ;Happy

kupTXTu.jpg

w3zwrjo.jpg

kfIY1jP.jpg

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good. how do you like the cadlight quality? I hear lots of pros and cons on them but I've still been debating them over Red Sea mainly due to value and getting more bang for the buck.

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Denvercherub Well, I haven't owned the tank for very long so it is kind of hard to judge yet. I have not had any problems so far with the quality of the stand or the tank itself. The plumbing I kept the same, didn't change anything out and right now they are holding up very well. People have said that their plumbing is a bit noisy which is true. However, it isn't too noisy for me, it is definitely tolerable.

I was also in the same boat as you are. I was deciding whether to pick up the Versa 42 or a RS Reefer 250. Went with the less expensive one as I didn't want to spend too much on a tank.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! so just a little plumbing updating for less noise but good to go. With Red Sea selling the reefers with extra holes in the back glass for the AI lights it has become a lot less appealing to me.

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, however it isn't necessary to update the plumbing. All personal preference. The tank sits in my room and at night when I go to sleep it doesn't bother me. So that kind of gives you an idea of what I mean by tolerable lol.

I didn't know Red Sea started doing that to their reefer series tanks :eek:

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes... that is an interesting move on Red Sea's part. I can see how some folks are unhappy with it. Kind of takes away the whole beauty of someone wanting to remove that black cover from their back panel.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Following :)

reefdreamers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm deff following this. I'm going to be making my post tonight on my cadlights 42. I have everything except the tank it comes tomorrow. But I'm interested in seeing how you set yours up! So far I love your rock work

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start. The waiting is torture, but well worth it. Cadlights' make a good tank and stand. People complain about their CS. Glad I never had to reach out to them

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Denvercherub Well, I haven't owned the tank for very long so it is kind of hard to judge yet. I have not had any problems so far with the quality of the stand or the tank itself. The plumbing I kept the same, didn't change anything out and right now they are holding up very well. People have said that their plumbing is a bit noisy which is true. However, it isn't too noisy for me, it is definitely tolerable.

I was also in the same boat as you are. I was deciding whether to pick up the Versa 42 or a RS Reefer 250. Went with the less expensive one as I didn't want to spend too much on a tank.
If you are hearing noise from the top near the return pipe. There might be a hole there where you can place an air tube through it and it will silence that gurgling noise.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mal11224 I have the same exact hole on my drain bulkhead. Funny you mention that gurgling noise because that noise when I first started the tank was unbearable.
It isn't so bad now that the tank has been running. To be honest, I barely notice it now. I might want to give that a try though, where did you get that air tubing from? I might make
mine a bit shorter. As far as Cadlights CS goes, I only had to contact them about a few questions on the plumbing and tank. Their responses were very fast during business hours,
and they always got back to me the next day if it was an email sent after business hours. I haven't had to deal with them about a broken product or part, so that might be a different
story.

@reefdreamers Please do, I wanna see your progress on your Cadlights. I love the quality of the tank and stand. Thank you, I tried to maximize as much as I could for areas to put
coral on the rock work. Yet, still make the scape look decent lol. Took me a little bit of time to come up with something I liked.

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the tank how it is as of now. A slight diatom bloom incoming on the front left corner of the tank. I can also see some brown spots starting to appear on the rocks as well.

Eb4U71X.jpg

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mal11224 I have the same exact hole on my drain bulkhead. Funny you mention that gurgling noise because that noise when I first started the tank was unbearable.
It isn't so bad now that the tank has been running. To be honest, I barely notice it now. I might want to give that a try though, where did you get that air tubing from? I might make
mine a bit shorter. As far as Cadlights CS goes, I only had to contact them about a few questions on the plumbing and tank. Their responses were very fast during business hours,
and they always got back to me the next day if it was an email sent after business hours. I haven't had to deal with them about a broken product or part, so that might be a different
story.

@reefdreamers Please do, I wanna see your progress on your Cadlights. I love the quality of the tank and stand. Thank you, I tried to maximize as much as I could for areas to put
coral on the rock work. Yet, still make the scape look decent lol. Took me a little bit of time to come up with something I liked.
It is a simple air tube that you get from any pet store or even Home Depot. Now that you mention it, I can probably cut mine a little. It sits on top of my cap so I basically ignored it. I used the original plumbing and have not had any issues. Your tank looks like it is almost cycled. Have fun with the build. You will enjoy it, I'm sure. I'm sure cad lights have made some improvements, which is a good thing. Their products are pretty good.

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my plumbing as been holding up very well. No leaks or anything. The quality does look better than previous plumbing that I've seen come in older Cadlight tanks.
Thank you! I'm really excited to stock this tank, it's gonna be awesome. Working with a blank canvas again. If I had to recommend this aquarium to someone, I would no doubt about it.

PCool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely. I also have my mind set on the 42 versa as well but ambtoo afraid about the plumbing since I read too many negative feedback. Never own the tank with the sump before so a little scare for me since I am not very handy . May I ask how easy to connect all the plumbing pipes together ? I saw they sell converter kit on their website but have no idea what is it ? Do I need it for the plumbing ? I am following your thread

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back