View Badges
Reaction score
OVERVIEW:
Aquarium: Fluval Evo 13.5
Light: Stock with added filters
Wavemaker: Jebao RW-4
Salt: Tropic Marin Pro-Reef (1.026)
Filter Media:
Chamber 1 - Floss Pad, Foam pad (custom media basket)
Chamber 2 - Maxspect Nano Spheres
Temp Controller: D-D Temperature Controller
Heater: Aquael Ultra 75w
Return Pump: Stock

Substrate: Caribsea Arag-alive Special grade
Rock: TMC Ecoreef #10 & #27 (slightly modified)

Livestock:
Fish
-
1x Ocellaris Clown
1x Hector's Goby (in QT)
Invertebrates -
1x Trochus Snail
1x Nassarius Snail

Corals -
- Zoa's - Fire & Ice, Green Bay Packers, Kinder Egg

Food:
Fish -
- Hikari Marine S, Vitalis Platinum Marine, Frozen Mysis, Frozen Brine
Corals -
- Fauna Marin Min S (weekly targeted)

Dosing:
- Vibrant (1ml fortnightly)

Finally decided to venture into the world of saltwater, something I've wanted to do for a very long time.
I'll be posting regular updates of the tank, progress (and regression no doubt) so any help or advice is warmly welcomed!
Attached some pictures of the reef Scape, substrate will be Caribsea special grade arag-alive, not bubblewrap .
IMG_20200206_165835.jpg
IMG_20200206_165833.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.omegasea.net/

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome to the salty side :)
I first switched to saltwater using a pico tank. I cannot stress getting an ATO enough. I lost my pico because I had severe salinity swings that couldn't keep anything alive. I didn't even know ATO's were a thing at that time - newbie mistake.

I use the IM Hydrofil ATO for my 20 gallon and it does the job just fine :) Affordable, too. Enjoy the journey! :)

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Also, if you're planning on keeping coral, you might want to consider upgrading the LED's. Fluval makes a gorgeous product but I don't know if the LEDs are powerful enough. I could be wrong though - more experienced hobbyists please feel free to chime in.

SoaringFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Also, if you're planning on keeping coral, you might want to consider upgrading the LED's. Fluval makes a gorgeous product but I don't know if the LEDs are powerful enough. I could be wrong though - more experienced hobbyists please feel free to chime in.
I second this. You will need better leds unless you just want to keep a few very easy softies.

OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Great aquascape!

What are your plans for the tank?

Most of the time BB refers to bare-bottom, but I like bubble bottom as well.
Bubble bottom has a ring to it thanks, once the substrate is in and the light is on it'll give a better idea of all the little areas underneath for the fish!

OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome to the salty side :)
I first switched to saltwater using a pico tank. I cannot stress getting an ATO enough. I lost my pico because I had severe salinity swings that couldn't keep anything alive. I didn't even know ATO's were a thing at that time - newbie mistake.

I use the IM Hydrofil ATO for my 20 gallon and it does the job just fine :) Affordable, too. Enjoy the journey! :)
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to keep the lid for now, so hopefully evaporation won't be a huge issue!

OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It's something I'm definitely looking at, going to stock just fish for the first few months just to get it stable and get used to the routine with SW, but corals will be going on further down the line. I've seen quite a few stock lit aquariums that have fantastic corals, but majority of people have said stock lights won't provide the growth levels and colour pop

https://www.omegasea.net/

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The lid works great to decrease evaporation but once your ambient room temperature rises a little with the weather, you will need to figure out how to get a small fan over the surface to stop the tank from overheating.

OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I currently have this tank with a few upgrades. In tank media basket in chamber 1. Reefled50 and just ordered the sicce silent 0.5 pump and the jebao sw2 wavemaker. Look forward to watching this thread he’s a pic of mine.

image.jpg
Looks awesome, is that a little Monti in the top right?

OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The lid works great to decrease evaporation but once your ambient room temperature rises a little with the weather, you will need to figure out how to get a small fan over the surface to stop the tank from overheating.
Thankfully I live in the north of England, and the ambient temp in summer in my flat barely exceeds 68f , so hopefully it should stay fairly cool, will look into temp measures for those odd few days it might creep up! Do you think a desk fan directed under a slightly raised lid would do the trick?

Corals.com

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Thankfully I live in the north of England, and the ambient temp in summer in my flat barely exceeds 68f , so hopefully it should stay fairly cool, will look into temp measures for those odd few days it might creep up! Do you think a desk fan directed under a slightly raised lid would do the trick?
I wouldn’t worry to much about the temp with the lid on. I’m from the north of England also and coped just fine with the lid for about 9months. On the rare occasion we had a hot day I just opened the window.

OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry to much about the temp with the lid on. I’m from the north of England also and coped just fine with the lid for about 9months. On the rare occasion we had a hot day I just opened the window.
Did you ever find even with the open windows it got a bit too warm? Where are you from??

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 161 27.2%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 98 16.6%
  • Every other week

Votes: 48 8.1%
  • Every month

Votes: 24 4.1%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 49 8.3%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 8 1.4%