Jumping Fish & Cats

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back to the victim himself. The Anthias! Anthias die out of nowhere as do Copperband Butterfly fish. Having too much current in the tank is bad for these guys during feeding. The tank’s cuc makes a very quick meal of the victim and the hobbyist thinks the cat got him. Both types of fish (above) need to be fed twice a day at a minimum. If not they will die a slow death of starvation. We don’t realize it and then they’re missing. Just a possibility.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back to the victim himself. The Anthias! Anthias die out of nowhere as do Copperband Butterfly fish. Having too much current in the tank is bad for these guys during feeding. The tank’s cuc makes a very quick meal of the victim and the hobbyist thinks the cat got him. Both types of fish (above) need to be fed twice a day at a minimum. If not they will die a slow death of starvation. We don’t realize it and then they’re missing. Just a possibility.
I feed heavily 2-3x per day, but I haven't totally excluded the possibility that he was eaten *in the tank* before I could find him. I really hope he's just hiding...for four feedings in a row. :(

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have cats now but have had one in the past. I also have high prey-drive dogs now and have had other high prey drive dogs in the past 10 years.

I would not be surprised if my dogs ended up eating a jumper. A cat…even more so just due to them being essentially tiny tigers. They’re wired to go after movement. My dogs are basically the same. It’s a case of an easy snack that catches the dog or cats eye as it flops.

that said, don’t write off the anthias just hiding. I had 3 purple firefish in my 40b. Then just 2. About two weeks late, three. Eventually, one jumped and I found it. Then it seemed no more firefish. Three months later one appears. And this is in a tank with fake aquarium plants, two pvc pieces, and a ceramic hobbit hole. So not nearly as many hiding places as a reef tank with the natural caves of rock, nor any hiding places provided by coral

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anthias is missing at large, and he was always actively swimming around the tank previously. I've checked the regular hiding spots and have seen neither fin nor gill of him. I've also checked all around the tank to see if he Free Willy'd to his death. Nothing.

Has anyone ever had a fish jump and get eaten by their cat(s)? That's the only thing I can think of at this point. And I'm kind of grossed out.

The likely culprit(s):

Ellie and Wally.jpg

The fish actually look up for the holes. This is very noticeable with a new jawfish. It’s not an accident that they find it. Can’t have any gaps as a fish that wants out can get out.

My cats would eat them all and leave no trace!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we using this thread for our cat photos?
806CEC87-36BD-41EF-B332-EB2C5282566C.jpeg

My cat only ate one fish that jumped out of the acclimation container. I found the cat on the second floor eating it.

My cat doesn’t show any interest in the fish tank. Maybe he’ll stare at it for 2 seconds before getting bored. Then he’ll just meow at me to play with him.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, and both my dogs I have caught munching on carpet surfers in the past.

I think my dogs like them after they dried up a bit. Kind of like sushi jerky? :D
LOL, my dog had orange shoulder wrasse sushi because he outran me to the tank

AbdominalSnowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the overflow box, if you have one? I have a clown that has taken to hanging out in there most nights so I have to scoop him out each morning. I need to find a wier with smaller openings

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we using this thread for our cat photos?
Of course we are!! :D

My dog ate a carpet surfing yellow coris wrasse right in front of me... one bite - ALL GONE.
the-wolf-of-wall-street-jonah-hill.gif

Have you checked the overflow box, if you have one? I have a clown that has taken to hanging out in there most nights so I have to scoop him out each morning. I need to find a wier with smaller openings
I do, but I'm pretty sure it would be darned near impossible for him to get in there. It has very narrow slots and a lid. At this point I have to consider all possibilities -- I'll have to climb up and shine a flashlight down there tomorrow.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an arowana jump out of a small corner hole once, landed right in a net next to the tank. It was dried up, hastily tossed it outside since I was getting ready for work. My cats brought me a present back from their outside adventures.....a half eaten arowana.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Bowie, who is a gentle soul that makes all my furniture very hairy. He loves to watch the fish in both my reef and freshwater tanks but prefers to go after the spikiest houseplants instead. The FW tank has dwarf ("pea") puffers and they're small enough that he can't really see them too well. But he understands "the fishies" and loves to sit on my lap to watch the clowns and particularly the blenny in the reef tank -- he paws at the glass for the blenny, kinda like when you put one of those made-for-cats bird videos in front of him.

As far as jumping, I've been lucky, and also have a great lid from Clearview. But when the blenny first went in he did try -- tried it once and then settled in and hasn't tried it since.

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.56.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.57.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.58.15 AM.png

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Bowie, who is a gentle soul that makes all my furniture very hairy. He loves to watch the fish in both my reef and freshwater tanks but prefers to go after the spikiest houseplants instead. The FW tank has dwarf ("pea") puffers and they're small enough that he can't really see them too well. But he understands "the fishies" and loves to sit on my lap to watch the clowns and particularly the blenny in the reef tank -- he paws at the glass for the blenny, kinda like when you put one of those made-for-cats bird videos in front of him.

As far as jumping, I've been lucky, and also have a great lid from Clearview. But when the blenny first went in he did try -- tried it once and then settled in and hasn't tried it since.

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.56.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.57.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.58.15 AM.png
Guilty. The last pic he's saying how tasty the fishies look.

All kitties are guilty, lovely, furry, guilty purr boxes.

Back