Juveline Blue Tang Eye Issue

LabyrinthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Overnight my juvenile blue tang seems to have either gotten a nasty infection/disease of some sort, or injured himself (or both). I did notice slight discoloration and redness near the eye last night but nothing like this. The outside of the eye seems to have peeled upwards. I can't tell if it has use of the eye anymore

I just finished a full course of API general Cure and completed the 25% water change today, but have not added carbon yet due to this issue I'm now facing and how to approach it. The use of General cure over Prazipro was due to vigorous scratching on PVC in observation which led to a side wound that has since healed.

Parameters are all within normal range, no ammonia, used clean cycled water from DT.

Picture link is posted at the bottom. I'm really hoping someone can help me with this issue, as I feel horrible for the little guy. I want to heal him up ASAP, but don't want to treat him incorrectly. I'm researching as much as possible, but could definitely use some help with this one. I have a good arsenal of medications, just not sure which to use for this specifically. I was thinking Kanaplex?

Thank you SO MUCH for any help!

BLUE TANG PICTURE

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Overnight my juvenile blue tang seems to have either gotten a nasty infection/disease of some sort, or injured himself (or both). I did notice slight discoloration and redness near the eye last night but nothing like this. The outside of the eye seems to have peeled upwards. I can't tell if it has use of the eye anymore

I just finished a full course of API general Cure and completed the 25% water change today, but have not added carbon yet due to this issue I'm now facing and how to approach it. The use of General cure over Prazipro was due to vigorous scratching on PVC in observation which led to a side wound that has since healed.

Parameters are all within normal range, no ammonia, used clean cycled water from DT.

Picture link is posted at the bottom. I'm really hoping someone can help me with this issue, as I feel horrible for the little guy. I want to heal him up ASAP, but don't want to treat him incorrectly. I'm researching as much as possible, but could definitely use some help with this one. I have a good arsenal of medications, just not sure which to use for this specifically. I was thinking Kanaplex?

BLUE TANG PICTURE
I would recommend using kanaplex with the focus binder in food to make sure the medication is getting into the fish. This is given that the little guy is still eating. Otherwise dosing to the system is ok as long as it's not directly to the reef. At least i do not believe that medication is fully reef safe.

I hope that helps, let me know what you think!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone,

BLUE TANG PICTURE
Before Anything is administered, please posts some pics under white lights of the issue so it can be properly assessed and diagnosed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

BLUE TANG PICTURE
For the picture in the link, it looks like a serious injury that may becoming infected, but perhaps not infected yet. Any idea how an injury could have occurred? Blue tangs live their juvenile lives hiding in branching coral, they are pretty good at not getting poked in the eye (grin).

For some reason, eye infections often respond well to Maracyn 1 (Erythromycin).

Jay

OP
OP
LabyrinthCorals

LabyrinthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the picture in the link, it looks like a serious injury that may becoming infected, but perhaps not infected yet. Any idea how an injury could have occurred? Blue tangs live their juvenile lives hiding in branching coral, they are pretty good at not getting poked in the eye (grin).

For some reason, eye infections often respond well to Maracyn 1 (Erythromycin).

Jay
I'm really not sure how he would've injured it bc he's in a qt system with pvc fittings.. He was scratching side on the pvc when I first got him and managed to mark himself up a bit from doing it so much but healed up in that area. I do have Erythromycin on hand and will consider that. Will be posting another picture in white light as requested by another forum member shortly

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on injury likely cause.
Saltwater fish have the ability to heal and quickly but this is a little severe. You will have to assess what you have that is sharp as well as administering antibiotic to prevent infection potential

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really not sure how he would've injured it bc he's in a qt system with pvc fittings.. He was scratching side on the pvc when I first got him and managed to mark himself up a bit from doing it so much but healed up in that area. I do have Erythromycin on hand and will consider that. Will be posting another picture in white light as requested by another forum member shortly
I think @vetteguy53081 might have missed the link to your photo in the post - the picture was pretty clear for me.

I guess if the fish has flukes, it could have injured its eye scratching at them.

Jay

OP
OP
LabyrinthCorals

LabyrinthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @vetteguy53081 might have missed the link to your photo in the post - the picture was pretty clear for me.

I guess if the fish has flukes, it could have injured its eye scratching at them.

Jay

Agree on injury likely cause.
Saltwater fish have the ability to heal and quickly but this is a little severe. You will have to assess what you have that is sharp as well as administering antibiotic to prevent infection potential
Took some much better photos if this helps further. I did just feed him a small amount of frozen mix to see if he's still eating, and he is, although not attacking the nori clip much. Thank u guys

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Took some much better photos if this helps further. I did just feed him a small amount of frozen mix to see if he's still eating, and he is, although not attacking the nori clip much. Thank u guys

These guys arent big on nori to begin with. I have multiple tangs and the hepatus will nibble whereas the others attack the nori

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back