Kenya tree/leather toxins effect on Xenia

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all,

I've been trying to solve a Xenia problem for some time now, and I'm wondering if this could be the problem. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with a single clown, 3 snails, and one emerald crab, that has been battling Dinos for months. The tanks is looking better, but my Xenia is looking absmyal, while my Kenya tree is acting perfectly fine. Because of this I suspect chemical warfare as the tank is very small. If I could describe the demise of my Xenia, it would be like the polyps were getting skinnier and skinnier, until they turned gray and just fell off. I went from 100 wish polyps to probably 15-20 now. Would running carbon be a good idea? #reefsquad

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try active carbon but i do not think that this is the real problem. My experiences with Xenia is that they can grow as a pest in some aquarium and not at all in others- IME - they need some nutrients in the water - some highlight iron and iodine too.

Sincerely Lasse

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia tends to melt for some people. I agree that carbon is worth trying, but may not be the solution.

What are your parameters, especially salinity, temp, alkalinity, nitrate, and phosphate?

And what about specific lighting?

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Lasse. I have xenia spreading quite fine directly next to a sinularia (I run carbon), but I don't think the leather is your issue.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a massive toadstool leather beneath my Xenia and they do fine. Some tanks just don’t keep Xenia for whatever reason. I run carbon but I also run dirty-ish water for my Zoa. Everything seems to do ok in it even my sps.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back