Kenya tree/leather toxins effect on Xenia

atul176

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2021
Messages
207
Reaction score
85
Location
maryland
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all,

I've been trying to solve a Xenia problem for some time now, and I'm wondering if this could be the problem. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with a single clown, 3 snails, and one emerald crab, that has been battling Dinos for months. The tanks is looking better, but my Xenia is looking absmyal, while my Kenya tree is acting perfectly fine. Because of this I suspect chemical warfare as the tank is very small. If I could describe the demise of my Xenia, it would be like the polyps were getting skinnier and skinnier, until they turned gray and just fell off. I went from 100 wish polyps to probably 15-20 now. Would running carbon be a good idea? #reefsquad
 
You can try active carbon but i do not think that this is the real problem. My experiences with Xenia is that they can grow as a pest in some aquarium and not at all in others- IME - they need some nutrients in the water - some highlight iron and iodine too.

Sincerely Lasse
 
Xenia tends to melt for some people. I agree that carbon is worth trying, but may not be the solution.

What are your parameters, especially salinity, temp, alkalinity, nitrate, and phosphate?

And what about specific lighting?
 
I agree with Lasse. I have xenia spreading quite fine directly next to a sinularia (I run carbon), but I don't think the leather is your issue.
 
I have a massive toadstool leather beneath my Xenia and they do fine. Some tanks just don’t keep Xenia for whatever reason. I run carbon but I also run dirty-ish water for my Zoa. Everything seems to do ok in it even my sps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new