Kessil A500X, thoughts?

NewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nearly $800 and no built in WiFi. Can someone help me please justify that?

ScoobyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shimmers....... i dont know. They look nice. The reviews will probably tell the tale if justified or not. Looks like they can cover the space of two lights, quick to the BRS mobile!!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil leaves the wifi as an option because the coloring is optimized before you get it. Using the wifi will in a lot of cases make the lights worse.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say cut to the chase with the Incremental upgrades and show the Corals the true power of the force :p

lightsaber.jpg

1 Jigga-par of light.

Last edited:

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before responding I must admit I am a total kessil fan boy. Just bought 2 more but here is my perspective.

These lights were designed for public aquarium applications where WiFi is seen as a deal breaker. The light is reasonably priced compared to its other 180w competitors. Radion XR30 is 839.99 while A 500X is 739.

This means the price of a light plus the WiFi dongle is equal to the competition. If you have 2 or 3 lights then the kessil is cheaper than the competition because you only pay for the WiFi once.

Why would you buy kessil over the competition?
  • Better spectrum
  • Easier control interface
  • Better shimmer
  • Prefer wired control
  • Prefer only 1 wifi signal for a string of lights
  • Neptune integration is now in public beta testing making kessil the only apex compatible high end LED for now
  • Preference for mounting lights high and out of the way.
  • Best option for deep tanks given the narrow lens
  • Best spectrum blending

OP
OP
NewFish

NewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before responding I must admit I am a total kessil fan boy. Just bought 2 more but here is my perspective.

These lights were designed for public aquarium applications where WiFi is seen as a deal breaker. The light is reasonably priced compared to its other 180w competitors. Radion XR30 is 839.99 while A 500X is 739.

This means the price of a light plus the WiFi dongle is equal to the competition. If you have 2 or 3 lights then the kessil is cheaper than the competition because you only pay for the WiFi once.

Why would you buy kessil over the competition?
  • Better spectrum
  • Easier control interface
  • Better shimmer
  • Prefer wired control
  • Prefer only 1 wifi signal for a string of lights
  • Neptune integration is now in public beta testing making kessil the only apex compatible high end LED for now
  • Preference for mounting lights high and out of the way.
  • Best option for deep tanks given the narrow lens
  • Best spectrum blending

So with the Kessil you only need 1 WiFi dongle? Then you would just need a physical link between the series of lights you implement?

When you say 'deal breaker' you are thinking that, WiFi = vulnerability, right? I could understand that.

Idk, it's a ton of money. I think they should throw in that dongle and leave it up to us to plug it in.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I worked at an LFS we had over 20 LED lights throughout the store. Any time a staff member needed to adjust the lights having a wired control option mounted on the wall was way easier than having 20 lights each broadcasting their own wifi signal. All 12 employees would all need to have the app and login info stored on their phone in order to adjust the lights it was just way easier to have a wired connection.

Also consider this. I have done installs in Dr's offices or restaurants where there was no wifi or where the staff may want to turn the lights on and off. Once again a wired controller is just so much easier.

Wifi is cool but I personally love how it is not included. It would just increase the cost of the light more and since you only need 1 dongle, Kessil can actually get a price advantage over the competition when more than 1 light is used.

I think most A500X users will use at least 2-3 lights.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi is not needed . Just get the controller. Wifi just enables you to mess with setting that are already optimized

OP
OP
NewFish

NewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many pieces of gear in this hobby there is no logical way you can justify them. They sell for these prices because enough people will fork out the cash.

Unfortunately I know you're totally right on this point. I do hope there is a vendor one day that works to change that. I'll surely support them.

OP
OP
NewFish

NewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi is not needed . Just get the controller. Wifi just enables you to mess with setting that are already optimized

I can understand that reservation ok wifi and 'over tinkering' 'fixing something that's not broken' kind of idea. I'm sure a lot of people get burned messing with it to much.

For me though I like the accessibility factor. Being able to check on tour tank remotely. Make tweaks while you're at the office. Or just to show off sometimes. I'm also a tech nerd. So that ability to extend the function of hardware with software is a huge part of what attracts me to different products.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm really interested in getting these lights for a future build, I have the 360X and love the shimmer. Looking forward to reading the reviews/feedback from early adopters. I do wish they included wifi or bluetooth for the price it's selling for.

OP
OP
NewFish

NewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I want to know how many over my 72 x 30. I am thinking 3 and here in Canada probably $1100 each.

3 sounds like the right number based on posted specs. Might need 4 based on angles needed and the density of coarls. Just a guess at this point.

What do you run now?

When/if you do spend a heap of coin on these would you be using a par meter to tune it in? If so can you let us know the results? I'd love to hear some more feedback. I don't have buckets of duckets at this point to throw down on these for my new tank yet (plus no life in it yet). But if they're great I might put 2 on my list.

Holy smokes, $1,100?!?!? To bad they have the border locked down so hard right now, right?! lol

OP
OP
NewFish

NewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really interested in getting these lights for a future build, I have the 360X and love the shimmer. Looking forward to reading the reviews/feedback from early adopters. I do wish they included wifi or bluetooth for the price it's selling for.

I was looking at the 360s for my tank. Two of 'em or one of the AP9X for my 36"x15" tank. I think that should be enough. Maybe get a T5 bulb for the shimmer and extra juice as the tank fills up.

Bluetooth is a good idea too. Being a software developer I just want more and more connectivity. Thats a major part of the intrigue for me.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 sounds like the right number based on posted specs. Might need 4 based on angles needed and the density of coarls. Just a guess at this point.

What do you run now?

When/if you do spend a heap of coin on these would you be using a par meter to tune it in? If so can you let us know the results? I'd love to hear some more feedback. I don't have buckets of duckets at this point to throw down on these for my new tank yet (plus no life in it yet). But if they're great I might put 2 on my list.

Holy smokes, $1,100?!?!? To bad they have the border locked down so hard right now, right?! lol
4 would be way too much $$$ better options at that point for sure.

Currently 5 Hydra 52hd and was thinking of using the Aquatic life T5 with the Hydra in the middle.

If I go with those certainly I will report back, I like new stuff, so always willing to try. With the exchange rate as it is always much more expensive in Canada, duties, taxes etc.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were just listed at the store where I get items for $974.99 plus our wonderful 13% tax, so not far off, total would be $1101.74/each

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Kessils, I’m of the opinion that you’d need at least 2 rows with the light angled inwards to help reduce the shadowing.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a step in the wrong direction for me. Ran a 360x and was not impressed with it at all. Shimmer is far too heavy. Extra money to control ramp up and ramp down is just ridiculous in 2021. I personally could see the color separation but I see it with all LEDs.

The same tank had a G4 XR15 Pro on the other half and the Radion side was much healthier overall. Better coralline growth and better coral health. Kessils have a terrible shadowing problem and you need twice as many as claimed or find another fill light.

I ended up back at halides. Better spectrum, better shimmer, better color, better everything. I'll throw on some XHO strips for my LED pop.

Back