Kessil A500X

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil can put whatever lens they want on the thing. Spread has nothing to do with shadowing. It's emission area or having widely distributed point sources to fix shadowing. A lens cant bend light in curves under coral. The lens just pushes stray side light fownward. Metal halide reflectors spread the light arc into a several square foot emission area.

Most dedicated hardcore SPS tanks running kessils are either hybrid or have lots of them spread out. Kessil marketing is just being silly. Their intended audience gets it...just not the rest.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought it’d be an interesting experiment to take a strong LED and shine it up into a large reflector .... that’d mostly eliminate the shadowing. Would look like hell though, so no commercial company will do it.

Will be interesting to see what this light can actually do .... once all the ridiculous MH killer, best thing ever fawning subsides. I’d rather hoped an X version of the 160 would have been next. Much more useful light.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should have made a 180x at half the cost of the 360x...you need a grid of kessils or supplemental lights. I like kessils but I was looking at covering a 8x3 tank with them and realised I would need 10 of them to not shadow and turn them down to like half power...so what did they do come out with one that would still need 10 of them to not shadow that I would need to turn down to 25% power. If they made 180x at say 45 watts...10 of them would be a good choice. But when most people are already running their 360x at half power due to needing multiple of them for coverage the last thing wee need is something with 2x the watts so we can turn it down to 25%. I wasn't spending 5K on 10 360x at half power so I ended up getting something else which is sad cause I like Kessils...they just need to realize we need more smaller pucks not fewer higher powered pucks.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always thought it’d be an interesting experiment to take a strong LED and shine it up into a large reflector .... that’d mostly eliminate the shadowing. Would look like hell though, so no commercial company will do it.

Will be interesting to see what this light can actually do .... once all the ridiculous MH killer, best thing ever fawning subsides. I’d rather hoped an X version of the 160 would have been next. Much more useful light.
I talked to Tullio about this and the restrike would be terrible. He walked me through it and it was clear he had thought about it quite heavily over the years

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just to clarify my reason for the question.... I thought restrke had to do with a metal halide lamp needing to cool down before restarting it after it was turned off.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just to clarify my reason for the question.... I thought restrke had to do with a metal halide lamp needing to cool down before restarting it after it was turned off.
Restrike is when the light reflects back into itself. This happens with T5s and MH because of the reflector.

Maybe restrike is the wrong term?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think more people will use these than we might initially think. Anyone who uses a 180 watt Radion or AI Hydra would likely use the A 500X in a similar way.

My tank is a redsea 750 xxl roughly 6x2x2. Most people with SPS dominate tanks in this tank size would use 3-4 XR30s or Hydra 64s. If you used 3-4 A500X I believe you could also get similar results. This is much better than using 3-4 AP9Xs as the circular light pattern is better for most applications. It may be a 1 puck light but by the time you have multiple intersecting the shadows are reduced dramatically. I really don't see many people using 1 or 2 of these. most will use 3 or more.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might need to actually get this.. my corals don't even start till about a foot under water and my par with a ap700 2g5 and 4 t5 bulbs is just 240... So I for one am excited about this. just wish it wasn't so high priced.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 35 degree reflector is also useable on A360X's as well, which will be great for their refugium light. Cures my only major complaint with that light.

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I too have been thinking about experimenting with this one day! More so to get a more halide-like shimmer though as Kessil shimmer lines aren't as broad

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making the switch form AI the Radion.
Pro or pro blue?

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one because nobody would post PAR readings. I got it at the frag sale in Bellevue. It gets hot as hell. Still use my halide of course, but I collect lights. The day I came home BRS posted PAR. Brats. I think it’ll find use somewhere. Kessil grows Microalgae like mad.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back