KESSIL KESSIL KESSIL !!!

Isabella rubalcaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, we all know kessil lighting costs an arm and a leg. But i wanted to go with them, was wondering what kind of kessils i would need ! I have a 60 gallon reef tank 2 feet deep about four feet in length and a foot & a half wide

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon and love my (2) 360 Tuna Blues. It's good for my tank, and if I ever want to get a bigger tank, would be good for that as well.

OP
OP
Isabella rubalcaba

Isabella rubalcaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Salty. Will also depend on what you plan to stock it with with regards to corals. I have the AP700 and I love it. The A160s are nice as well. Either one will do well for a 24in deep tank.
IMO. Two a80 should be fine. Or one ap700.

Myself I would go for more individual units to get the best spread and coverage.
Lol. Four 160's at nine inches. but I'm a lighting nut.
Thank you guys for the help & tips !!! Really appreciate that ! .. well heres the thing, i've got a mixed reef at the moment .. LPS, SPS, etc. none of my tank occupants require any more lighting than i have ( fluval 2.0 ) but after doing some research i really wanted to upgrade. Basically, i could really use an upgrade to help my coral thrive even more & be happier, as well as open up my stocking choices for maxima clams or acros !!! .. anyway, hmm i think kessil A80's are too low for a tank of my dimension ??? My tank is more of a rectangular shape, somewhat of a plasma TV screen. Not too wide pretty narrow compared to most reefs. I was leaning more towards maybe one a360 & two smaller kessils on each side ??? Thoughts ??

OP
OP
Isabella rubalcaba

Isabella rubalcaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon and love my (2) 360 Tuna Blues. It's good for my tank, and if I ever want to get a bigger tank, would be good for that as well.
Ahh good thinking, somewhat an investment right ?! Good stuff. I dont doubt your tank is fantasticly lit BUT two a360s is way off my budget unfortunately :/ glad to hear your 55 is happy !!!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 360s will grow sps. 160s may grow some low demand sps but probably not acros.
Yup. You'd need four 160s.
Two 360 is one ap700.

They all have that same beam pattern.

Myself , kessil koolaide aside, the best bang for the buck on that tank is a 30 ir 32 in wifi or ramping
Sbreeflight
Two wifi mars aqua would also outperform them too.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have SPS under one 160 in my nano... check out my build thread but I've had growth on an acro before a power loss claimed it. It's a shallow tank, 13" tall. Light is mounted 7" over the water and the corals are midway in the tank. I'd go with 2 700s, or 3-4 360s for a perfect SPS set up in a 4' tank. You could do 2 360s between 4 T5 bulbs and have the best of both worlds.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the help & tips !!! Really appreciate that ! .. well heres the thing, i've got a mixed reef at the moment .. LPS, SPS, etc. none of my tank occupants require any more lighting than i have ( fluval 2.0 ) but after doing some research i really wanted to upgrade. Basically, i could really use an upgrade to help my coral thrive even more & be happier, as well as open up my stocking choices for maxima clams or acros !!! .. anyway, hmm i think kessil A80's are too low for a tank of my dimension ??? My tank is more of a rectangular shape, somewhat of a plasma TV screen. Not too wide pretty narrow compared to most reefs. I was leaning more towards maybe one a360 & two smaller kessils on each side ??? Thoughts ??
I actually meant A360 and not A160. I used to have the A160s above my tank and was not getting much growth and changed to the A700 and I am seeing positive growth on my corals, specifically my SPS corals. I think you will do fine with some A360s over your tank. I am also trying to use a few T5 bulbs as a supplement but I need to set up some sort of canopy to make it work.

OP
OP
Isabella rubalcaba

Isabella rubalcaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6124.JPG
The ap700 reflectors have better spread than two 360s. That's what I'd do on a 4 foot tank if you will have sps. I'd also plan on adding two t5 bulbs.
I have SPS under one 160 in my nano... check out my build thread but I've had growth on an acro before a power loss claimed it. It's a shallow tank, 13" tall. Light is mounted 7" over the water and the corals are midway in the tank. I'd go with 2 700s, or 3-4 360s for a perfect SPS set up in a 4' tank. You could do 2 360s between 4 T5 bulbs and have the best of both worlds.
I actually meant A360 and not A160. I used to have the A160s above my tank and was not getting much growth and changed to the A700 and I am seeing positive growth on my corals, specifically my SPS corals. I think you will do fine with some A360s over your tank. I am also trying to use a few T5 bulbs as a supplement but I need to set up some sort of canopy to make it work.
Thank you guys !! Taking all of this in ! .. well, im leaning more towards two 360's & maybe some T5's .. now, for the T5's .. which ones do i go with ??? Coarlife ? Not too familiar with T5's or anything like that !! :( thoughts on radions ??? Thann yoy guys SO much for the help. Also, heres a pic of my tank to help figure our a set up plan .. thanks !!!

IMG_5952.JPG

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just a quick question on your fluval 2.0 I am currently running the 36 to 48 in unit on my 65 along with a 2 lamp ho t5. I bought the t5 after not being able to find much real info from people that have the fluval
Only real information I could get is people complaining about the button and not being able to get a wifi unit yet. And so on. So my question to you is how long have you had it did you have good growth results from it did you run two of them one of them ?? I'm just curious what other owners of this unit think about it ? Personally I like mine but was concerned it was not enough so I got the t5 as an add on. It's a coral life 36 inch with 2 acts. I have yet to get the wifi and just run them together on a timer

Any first hand info would be great thanks in advance

OP
OP
Isabella rubalcaba

Isabella rubalcaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question on your fluval 2.0 I am currently running the 36 to 48 in unit on my 65 along with a 2 lamp ho t5. I bought the t5 after not being able to find much real info from people that have the fluval
Only real information I could get is people complaining about the button and not being able to get a wifi unit yet. And so on. So my question to you is how long have you had it did you have good growth results from it did you run two of them one of them ?? I'm just curious what other owners of this unit think about it ? Personally I like mine but was concerned it was not enough so I got the t5 as an add on. It's a coral life 36 inch with 2 acts. I have yet to get the wifi and just run them together on a timer

Any first hand info would be great thanks in advance
Thanks for reaching out !!! I've been running the 2.0 for about 6 months ! Heres my take on it. The light is high quality in terms of reliability & general reef lighting. Growth is not too bad, you'll keep some SPS alive such as stylos & etc. I will say that sadly, the 2.0 isnt enough to keep certain picky " light demanding " creatures alive however. I had 2 duresa clams die out on me, because the lighting wasnt enough. Its not all bad though ! Cause it will keep alot of LPS & some SPS happy & it will have them grow well ! .. all in all for the money, its a good light. Im actually going to upgrade my lighting just cause i want more complex specimen. For the button issue, its just that the button is touch sensitive. Its not a HUGE down side but it does get ANNOYING lol if your hands are slightly dirty/wet/anything the button wont recognize your touch so it will give you a pain. Nothing too crazy, just annoying !!! Other than that good light, not much to complain about. T5's do you a good favor though !!! Helps you with more spectrum/light intensity

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO. Two a80 should be fine. Or one ap700.

Myself I would go for more individual units to get the best spread and coverage.
Lol. Four 160's at nine inches. but I'm a lighting nut.
You sure about a80 , they are low watts. Two a360w may be

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reaching out !!! I've been running the 2.0 for about 6 months ! Heres my take on it. The light is high quality in terms of reliability & general reef lighting. Growth is not too bad, you'll keep some SPS alive such as stylos & etc. I will say that sadly, the 2.0 isnt enough to keep certain picky " light demanding " creatures alive however. I had 2 duresa clams die out on me, because the lighting wasnt enough. Its not all bad though ! Cause it will keep alot of LPS & some SPS happy & it will have them grow well ! .. all in all for the money, its a good light. Im actually going to upgrade my lighting just cause i want more complex specimen. For the button issue, its just that the button is touch sensitive. Its not a HUGE down side but it does get ANNOYING lol if your hands are slightly dirty/wet/anything the button wont recognize your touch so it will give you a pain. Nothing too crazy, just annoying !!! Other than that good light, not much to complain about. T5's do you a good favor though !!! Helps you with more spectrum/light intensity
I hated this about the fluval. I thought the light it produced was fine but I couldn't stand the button and moved on to a couple ap700's when I switched tanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back