Kessil Show Off Thread (Warning, may be picture heavy!)

Which Kessil Product Do You Use Or Have Used

• Total voters

Dan Cyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely you can. There are many very successful tanks out there lit strictly by kessils or leds. Most are lps dominant or a mixed reef with a few sps. When you start getting heavy into sps shading becomes an issue. So you either have to supplement with t5s or get more kessil modules and space them close together.
I ordered the shorter brackets for the AquaticLife 48" to make the lights closer together, 16" instead of 18" wide to give me some room. Should I keep it as wide as possible or would the little less make any impact? It's actually just an inch each side

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the shorter brackets for the AquaticLife 48" to make the lights closer together, 16" instead of 18" wide to give me some room. Should I keep it as wide as possible or would the little less make any impact? It's actually just an inch each side
Refresh my memory, how wide is your tank?

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 x 24 x 30 deep. The deep is what concerns me. Also, should I have got the 36" (even though not in stock at BRS right now)
At a 24 inch width id maybe stick with the 18 bracket. Unless your rockwork is going to be heavily centered and you need the narrower spread.

Dan Cyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a 24 inch width id maybe stick with the 18 bracket. Unless your rockwork is going to be heavily centered and you need the narrower spread.
With in regards to combining the T5s and the Kessils, how do you run the T5s? Do you power then on at the same time as the Kessils or do you alternate when each turns on?

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With in regards to combining the T5s and the Kessils, how do you run the T5s? Do you power then on at the same time as the Kessils or do you alternate when each turns on?
Per the advice of another user on here. I have the kessils turn on at 11, ramp up for an hour, then the t5s kick on for 8 hours, turn off at 8pm and the Kessil ramps down to off at 9pm

Dan Cyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per the advice of another user on here. I have the kessils turn on at 11, ramp up for an hour, then the t5s kick on for 8 hours, turn off at 8pm and the Kessil ramps down to off at 9pm
I think that would work with the dusk, dawn ramp that is on my Apex, just need to adjust the timeframe and set the put for the T5s

Shad Quill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single a360w on my 60 cube. I'm still in the build process but really like the controllability. I had it set up on the spectral controller for a bit and it seems like a great stand alone controller but have opted to run it to the apex in the basement.

I have a custom built acrylic cube and contacted a builder to build it for me. Over all I guess it's an okay job but the design could have been thought out a bit more. The main feature I needed was a secure top.. I have jerk cats. But with this design I had to cut a chunk out so I could fit the 90s into the overflow for the drain and it left very little space for light mounting. The kessil goose neck looks great and fits my needs perfectly.
fda89bed06983b24963a175ad9130a36.jpg
be8ee373f2695f0b966bff79081b752d.jpg

NoahBurger13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seams to be just the perfect thread. I recently just purchased a Kessil 360 and spectral controller but im having a hard time deciding my lighting schedule. Im running it on a 27g tank, mostly softies and my light is about 5-6" away from the water with no lid (I like to live life on the edge) Can anyone help me out by telling me their schedule (If you have a similar sized tank) or any tips. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seams to be just the perfect thread. I recently just purchased a Kessil 360 and spectral controller but im having a hard time deciding my lighting schedule. Im running it on a 27g tank, mostly softies and my light is about 5-6" away from the water with no lid (I like to live life on the edge) Can anyone help me out by telling me their schedule (If you have a similar sized tank) or any tips. Thanks in advance!
I'll copy what I put on your other post for anyone else looking for help ;)

For softies and lps i'd start out with a low intensity and slowly work your way up. As far as color you can choose whatever pleases your eye. Generally people will start out blue, and have it ramp up to the color they like throughout the day and then ramp down to blue at the end of the day to create a dusk and dawn effect. As far as intensity, i'd start at around 20% and ramp it up by 5% a week until you find a spot that all your corals like :)

Dan Cyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my Aquatic life 48" setup done with 2 A360WEs. Bulbs got sidetracked with the weather so no pics if them lit yet. Hung them from my DIY brackets made out of aluminum square tubing that I bolted to the back of the stand. Wiring goes through the arms mostly except for right above the light...Not pretty but will be putting on a canopy soon hopefully so won't see it anyway.
1521754011700.jpg

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just released this morning. Kessil will be doing what I believe to be a YouTube series called Kessil University. Looks like it'll be interesting!

Back