KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just started hooking up kh director and stand alone doser . I can see both on the gcc screen. I did set pump 1 and 3 to fast pump 2 to slow. Instruction's have me baffled. What is my next step. I haven't cut my feed line to unit yet . I guess that I need to do this also and do the math in the kh area. How do I calibrate all line or whats next. thanks in adavance.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just started hooking up kh director and stand alone doser . I can see both on the gcc screen. I did set pump 1 and 3 to fast pump 2 to slow. Instruction's have me baffled. What is my next step. I haven't cut my feed line to unit yet . I guess that I need to do this also and do the math in the kh area. How do I calibrate all line or whats next. thanks in adavance.

Install all your lines, like you want it to be set up. The reagent line has to be 19" or less. Also measure your water sample line (the entire length, including the part going from doser to kh director).

Then calibrate all doser heads.

Then go into kh director in GCC and enter the water sample line length.

Then hit flush measurement cell

Then hit empty measurement cell completely.

Then run the test. The first one will probably be off. Then run a second test.

I'm sure I forgot something, but those are basically what I did

Oh yeah, already forgot an important step. Calibrate the ph probe before you start the process above.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait I thought we only measure from aquarium to for head length.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait I thought we only measure from aquarium to for head length.

On ghl forum they said to count everything. Including the 6" or so from doser to kh director.

I guess since it has to backflush that part too? And to get the proper ml amount into the kh director for the sample? Just what I read. Hopefully someone from GHL can confirm

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total tube length has to be calculated. Both suction and pressure part. From the aquarium to the pump + from the pump to the KH director

Sincerely Lasse

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWIII I got 99 % of the instructions
How do I calibrate all doser heads that's the only part that I don't understand
Thank You 4 the help

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total tube length has to be calculated. Both suction and pressure part. From the aquarium to the pump + from the pump to the KH director

Sincerely Lasse

Well that pretty much explains why I still got sample water in tube :)

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWIII I got 99 % of the instructions
How do I calibrate all doser heads that's the only part that I don't understand
Thank You 4 the help

In GCC or on the connect app. Go into the doser section. Then select which doser head you want to calibrate. Then find "Calibrate the pump now". You will need some way to measure the fluid, like a graduated cylinder. Hit calibrate the pump now, it will run for 1 minute while you collect the sample from the end of the dosing line. Once finished, read how many ml were dosed. Enter that number in the "Flowrate of the pump" box in GCC or the app. Then click save.

You can do this a few times and average the ml to get the most accurate number. Most of the time, my doser heads produce the same amount every time.

You do this for every head, then they are calibrated. It's nice to do it with the lines setup where you will have them. That way you know how the head will perform.

Also forgot to mention, make sure the lines are full completely before starting the calibration. This can be done with the manual dose buttons

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In GCC or on the connect app. Go into the doser section. Then select which doser head you want to calibrate. Then find "Calibrate the pump now". You will need some way to measure the fluid, like a graduated cylinder. Hit calibrate the pump now, it will run for 1 minute while you collect the sample from the end of the dosing line. Once finished, read how many ml were dosed. Enter that number in the "Flowrate of the pump" box in GCC or the app. Then click save.

You can do this a few times and average the ml to get the most accurate number. Most of the time, my doser heads produce the same amount every time.

You do this for every head, then they are calibrated. It's nice to do it with the lines setup where you will have them. That way you know how the head will perform.

Also forgot to mention, make sure the lines are full completely before starting the calibration. This can be done with the manual dose buttons
Thank you for all the help

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see if I get better readings now that the line length is correct.

I still don't see the issue with the reagents line being longer. It doesn't make much sense that the 1L bottle is so deep and the lines only 19" plus once it's primed to Doser two nothing changes.

Last edited:

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reading seems higher than before now. Will need to flush it a few times and retest.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWWIII all set up and running first test 11.8 / 2nd test 10 .7
according to LaMotte I am at eight
going to run another test and call it a day
thanks for all your help Greg
I am going to have to trust unit / my calcium is over 500 / I thought I had a imbalance in system
going to have to lower calcium reactor

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made reading adjust mentioned of -5% and it's more in line with the Hanna with reference solution and Nyos all test

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last read is 10.9 way of not sure what I'm doing wrong
Do you have pockets of air in the reagent tube? That's the issue I'm currently running into. I'm trying to figure out a solution for it. I believe Mortie had / is having the same issue.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pockets of air in the reagent tube? That's the issue I'm currently running into. I'm trying to figure out a solution for it. I believe Mortie had / is having the same issue.
I’ve managed to steady mine out slightly by changing reagent bottle, heating it and tapping it the try to get all air bubbles out, this hasn’t removed all of the bubbles but not as bad, I find I cannot do less than 4 tests a day otherwise the bubbles do affect more. As can be seen by this plot levels are far more stable since making the changes.
A68D810C-2046-420D-8EFF-C9A2907E661D.png

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't have any bubbles. It just constantly reading higher.

Hanna 8.9 nyos is 9 drops and director is 10

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any bubbles. It just constantly reading higher.

Hanna 8.9 nyos is 9 drops and director is 10
Yeah I get KHD as 0.5 dkh lower than my hanna, and with 2 different bottles of reagent as I know there is some variance between bottles. I have adjusted the KHD by 11% to try and match the readings. I would of hoped the readings between the 2 would of been closer given there both premium measuring devices, I know there are inherent errors with the hanna, am I certain i measured 1ml? and did I index the vial correctly? but I’ve been using it for years and do get consistant results, which is why I’ve adjusted the KHD and at least it’s now giving consistant readings which is what we all want. Trouble is I still don’t trust it enough to automate my dosing, but my Alk usage is very stable so I’m not that bothered really. And it will alert me if it wanders from the set point by +/- 0.3

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
Does it really matter if it is out by 0.5dkh from your other tester as long as it is consistent?
Personally 8.0 or 8.5 I don’t care about as long as it doesn’t swing.

Why is nobody else letting their unit do the harder work of controlling their dosing? You paid good money for something you are putting a very tight leash on. The product works. It’s a little fiddly to set up but it works.
I was surprised when I hit the limits for increasing and decreasing the doses automatically but that truly is the way our tanks use alkalinity. It’s not linear consumption.
My dosing had to increase 80% during the day and ecrease 80% at night to not swing.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok finally it's a lot closer 8.8 Hanna vs 9.0 director had to adjust the reagent doser speed. Now readings been pretty spot on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back