KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

King3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure, if these values are correct. Usually you would see something between 35 and 40ml.
You are right Mathhies i did run second calibration and it was 35 (just under )

I adjusted all pumps and ran two tests using KHD reference solution (using 60ml sample )

First results came 5.8 with second result 8.1

What do you suggest I do ? Do I offset or open a ticket to send khd for repair ( It has been repaired once in late Februath 2019 by ghl germany )

236750EE-7FC8-491E-8089-6812C208DB80.png

58117CD8-6A60-4CDA-A84F-BA72BB5EFCB0.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.1 does not look too bad

I would do another measurement, and when the deviation is acceptable do the fine tuning with the adjustment parameter

did you follow all tips you find in the FAQs and in the (new) manual?

King3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right Mathhies i did run second calibration and it was 35 (just under )

I adjusted all pumps and ran two tests using KHD reference solution (using 60ml sample )

First results came 5.8 with second result 8.1

What do you suggest I do ? Do I offset or open a ticket to send khd for repair ( It has been repaired once in late Februath 2019 by ghl germany )

236750EE-7FC8-491E-8089-6812C208DB80.png

58117CD8-6A60-4CDA-A84F-BA72BB5EFCB0.png
I ran out of reference ( since yesterday 1litre is gone) I will tune it -7% and see how it goes

Is 60 ml water sample (from tank) good or better if I go back to 100ml per test
Thx

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60ml is the lower limit. If you want higher accuracy you should have at least 80.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering buying one of these units. What maintenance tasks does it require and how often? (Calibration of probe, calibration of doser heads,...)

Many thanks for your input

Kind regards

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering buying one of these units. What maintenance tasks does it require and how often? (Calibration of probe, calibration of doser heads,...)

Many thanks for your input

Kind regards
I'm lazy. I take an alk sample once a week using my Hanna checker to see if it still matches and if it does, I don't do anything. I can normally go 3 months without calibrating anything. I will say that I have had to replace doser heads. Doing multiple samples a days pumps a lot of water. I have had to replace the 2 older heads for sample in and wastewater after 2 or 3 months. I replaced them with the upgraded heads and they have worked 4 months going now.
I love my GHL dosers, but I do recommend keeping a set or two of replacement heads handy at all times.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lazy. I take an alk sample once a week using my Hanna checker to see if it still matches and if it does, I don't do anything. I can normally go 3 months without calibrating anything. I will say that I have had to replace doser heads. Doing multiple samples a days pumps a lot of water. I have had to replace the 2 older heads for sample in and wastewater after 2 or 3 months. I replaced them with the upgraded heads and they have worked 4 months going now.
I love my GHL dosers, but I do recommend keeping a set or two of replacement heads handy at all times.

Somehow I had a feeling you might pick this one up [emoji4].

Thanks! Lazy is what I like to hear (though Once a week testing with the Hanna seems too much work [emoji1]).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow I had a feeling you might pick this one up [emoji4].

Thanks! Lazy is what I like to hear (though Once a week testing with the Hanna seems too much work [emoji1]).
I'm Alk paranoid! I used to test 4 or 5 times a week with 2 or 3 different test kits. So much happier now.

I will say that it took me awhile to get everything locked in and reading reliably. Getting the test fluid calibrated and completely bubble free was difficult and it won't read accurately or consistently with bubbles. Once I got that part figured out I was able to get very consistent readings. I wasn't sure I would ever turn control over to a KH monitor but I finally did this week.

You may find this useful. No maintenance at all for this entire graph. You will see one blip where I pulled the sample line out of the sump doing maintenance. It's always within 0.2 dKH of my Hanna. I wasn't controlling at the time but it did properly alarm to let me know I had an issue and it would not have changed my dosing to cause any issues.
upload_2019-4-1_12-4-15.png

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
News about the KH graphs:
P3 will have it with the next firmware release 6.43 which comes this Friday
Doser: still working on that, but planned with next 3 weeks - this job was a bit harder since the internal software structure of P4/P3 and Doser are quite different. But getting there. Safety first.
Is the graphing now working for the doser?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the graphing now working for the doser?

I don't think so. Hopefully soon! Obviously getting the dosed brain to record measurements isn't all that easy. I have 2 kh directors, the one on the p4 and then a sa doser setup. I have been using the logbook to keep track for now, but hope the record feature becomes available soon!
Screenshot_20190601-221353_GHL Connect.jpg

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to consider this to monitor and control my Alk (I currently live in the Apex ecosystem). What, if any, functionality (besides the loss of graphing, which is a big deal for me actually) do you lose by using the standalone unit verse a slave connected to the GHL controller?

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I read about the KH Director, the more I am falling for it.
I have the Profilux and standalone doser already.

People who are running the KHD for a while now, how is the reagent consumption?
How many tests per day against the use of reagent?

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much reagent is used for each test (based on the recommended 80mL water sample if it makes a difference)? I tried searching for that info in this thread, but did not come up with anything.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much reagent is used for each test (based on the recommended 80mL water sample if it makes a difference)? I tried searching for that info in this thread, but did not come up with anything.

The website mentions 1-3ml per test for a dKh of 8.
But i wanted to hear some feedback of the current users.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the GHL listed amount of 3mL per test, a 1000mL bottle of reagent would give you roughly 333 tests. If you test 4 times a day (I'm comparing to the Trident, so tying to keep it as close as possible to apples to apples), that comes out to about $144 a year. The reagent costs for the Trident are $270 a year, but that also includes Ca and Mg testing. I'm going to be working out a 10 year cost of ownership based on the equipment (I'll have to estimate the Ion Director costs for this) and reagents. I'm going to be excluding the maintenance costs as we don't know the cost on the Trident yet for DIY and there it appears that these costs on the GHL side vary widely from user to user (some people replace doser heads a lot, some don't seem to have to).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The website mentions 1-3ml per test for a dKh of 8.
But i wanted to hear some feedback of the current users.
I've been running 3 tests per day for around 5 months. I made the mistake of buying the big 3 bottle reagent set. 2 bottles are still unopened. My doser says I have 371ml of reagent remaining of the 1,000ml the container started with. That works out to around 1.5ml per test at the 9dkh I keep my tank.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 3 tests per day for around 5 months. I made the mistake of buying the big 3 bottle reagent set. 2 bottles are still unopened. My doser says I have 371ml of reagent remaining of the 1,000ml the container started with. That works out to around 1.5ml per test at the 9dkh I keep my tank.
Thank you @Brew12
You samples are set to 80ml?

I think even with 1 test a day, this would be more than sufficient for me.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Brew12
You samples are set to 80ml?

I think even with 1 test a day, this would be more than sufficient for me.
They are set to 80ml.

I figure my cost per sample is right around $0.04/each for reagent and replacement wear parts.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back