OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome... I still haven't figured out if I like it or not. Drink a whole one either way...
I typically like dark beer, but see-through liquor, so this'll be interesting.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little sidekick and I left the house today to check out Coral's Coral, which I guess might be my LFS now. When I say I'm a hermit, I'm not exaggerating -- I think this was the first time I went somewhere other than daycare or my middle daughter's school since August. I'm fairly confident that was the last time I went into the office, too.

Since I was looking like a semi-sane person for once, we had to take a selfie.

KB and Little B - 23 Oct 2021.JPG

It's a mom-and-pop shop, so it took an hour for us to get in and out because they could only help one person at a time, but I think it was worth it -- and they honored the 20% off new customer online discount in-store for everything I bought.

My tank is neck-deep in the uglies right now, and most of my snails and crabs bit the dust, and we know that the Reef Chaser order was bunk, so I've just had a rinky-dink team of my original margaritas and a few ceriths lazing around the rocks and glass, making virtually no progress. They just can't keep up, and my three urchins like to pick a spot to sit for half the day with their tentacles waving in the current.

FTS - The Uglies 23 Oct 2021.jpg

See? Ugly. I grabbed five each of turbo, trochus, and nassarius snails -- and they're friggin' huge. They went right to work. I was planning on mounting frags today, but think I'll leave that for tomorrow. I used up all of my motivation getting my cuckoo butt out the door.

Snails at Work.jpg

Side-View 23 Oct 2021.jpg

I also picked up 27.4 pounds of live rock, which was *also* discounted 20% for me, which I greatly appreciated! It's in a Brute can right now. It was cool being able to go through and pick what I liked. The real rock in my tank right now was pilfered off the 100° sidewalk outside of the nearest fish store to me when they told me they were getting out of saltwater. I'm excited to start with LR in my smaller tank and may put a piece or two in the RSR 250 as well.

Live Rock 27.4 lbs.jpg

Despite the green algae haunting my dreams, my corals are all looking healthy and growing well...in their racks. Tomorrow I've gotta get them in place. Don't let me put it off. Please!! :)

Fruit Loop Zoas 23 Oct 2021.jpg

I'm curious about what hitchhikers I may have brought home! The former Mr. Britches brought home murderous fireworms, but also some cool feather dusters and lots of copepods.

I'll die if I get fireworms in my tank.

ok so you needed approval for not starting a potentially 3 hour job after sidekick shopping? Well here you go. But that was yesterday so get on with it.
No drinking either before you’ve done ;)

funnily enough you will meet your “dream “ hitchhiker month later when you have already forgotten about it. This is to give you great shock :p

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so you needed approval for not starting a potentially 3 hour job after sidekick shopping? Well here you go. But that was yesterday so get on with it.
Just need to pop over to the chemist... then move a desk, to move a tank, to move some rock, to then start my potentially 3-hour job. All with sidekick in tow.

funnily enough you will meet your “dream “ hitchhiker month later when you have already forgotten about it. This is to give you great shock :p

Threaten Talladega Nights GIF

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned on my skimmer and UV sterilizer last night (I'd had them off since Monday [I think] when I was battling the mini-cycle) and in just twelve hours it looks so much better. The glass is even looking significantly cleaner. I'll give my big boy snails some credit there. :)

I checked the skimmer this morning and that puppy was FULL, and even oozed out of the top. Good God, the smell. LOL.

Need to find caffeine -- might raid the son's fridge here in a minute. I have so much to do today, and I love procrastinating.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me more... I'll check it out if I can find it.
It's somewhat difficult to find. Total Wine gets maybe 2 bottles every few months. They are 24oz bottles. Kind of like a Hef but with really smooth taste. Similar to when you sip a really expensive wine you can really taste the flavors.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need to find caffeine -- might raid the son's fridge here in a minute. I have so much to do today, and I love procrastinating.
I love procrastination. However, my brain doesn't. husband bought a power strip for the lights yesterday and himself some drinks.
I was exhausted. I wanted to hook everything up, this morning. made coffee and got it done. need to cable manage now. :*( These np cords are LONG.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love procrastination. However, my brain doesn't. husband bought a power strip for the lights yesterday and himself some drinks.
I was exhausted. I wanted to hook everything up, this morning. made coffee and got it done. need to cable manage now. :*( These np cords are LONG.
I have not even STARTED to deal with my cord mess on the new setup. It's the most ridiculous tangle right now. I was going to build a little half-cab and controller board, but when the nitrifying bacteria crapped the bed it took the wind out of my sails. I'm trying to decide if I still want to do that, or just clean it up. If I'm being totally honest with myself, I probably won't do either soon, but I've got good intentions! :D

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not even STARTED to deal with my cord mess on the new setup. It's the most ridiculous tangle right now. I was going to build a little half-cab and controller board, but when the nitrifying bacteria crapped the bed it took the wind out of my sails. I'm trying to decide if I still want to do that, or just clean it up. If I'm being totally honest with myself, I probably won't do either soon, but I've got good intentions! :D
Cords are always a pain in this hobby. They're either way too short or WAY too long. I have managed to organize them on the new tank (so far) but there's still a mess behind the tank I need to velcro wrap or something. You can get those little cable organizer raceways off of Amazon and hide the wires under the stand. These ones stick on:
IMG_3716.jpeg

IMG_3717.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a 250 and I have a 300 we have similar cabinets. A simple aluminum overhang box can hide a bunch of cable and an oversize ATO can hide what's left on the floor behind the cabinet.

Also, sorry to hijack your thread previously with beer talk.

Attachments

• 20211024_085354.jpg
    20211024_085354.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211024_085339.jpg
    20211024_085339.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cords are always a pain in this hobby. They're either way too short or WAY too long. I have managed to organize them on the new tank (so far) but there's still a mess behind the tank I need to velcro wrap or something. You can get those little cable organizer raceways off of Amazon and hide the wires under the stand. These ones stick on:
IMG_3716.jpeg

IMG_3717.jpeg
I was drooling over your setup when I scrolled through your build. Those cable raceways are a good idea! I don't have a ton of cabinet real estate, but I might be able to rig up something like that.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a 250 and I have a 300 we have similar cabinets. A simple aluminum overhang box can hide a bunch of cable and an oversize ATO can hide what's left on the floor behind the cabinet.

Also, sorry to hijack your thread previously with beer talk.
Oh that's a good idea, too!! I might have to revisit my original plans.

Also, you're forgiven. ;)

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to find caffeine

I make my own lattes. My first job was a batista so I've been making my own yummy concoctions since. All my monthly supplies cost about $80, that's only 8 trips to the coffee stand if your spending 10 bucks each time. Plus, is so nice to make a latte at any hour.

And you and me girl, procrastination sisters. I quit making to do lists since it was depressing seeing all the things I didn't get done.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was drooling over your setup when I scrolled through your build. Those cable raceways are a good idea! I don't have a ton of cabinet real estate, but I might be able to rig up something like that.
Thank you! I drool over my setup too if we're being honest... I'm taking my time and trying to do everything so it's not only good looking but also functional. I'm the guy who has to take care of the thing and it's so much easier when things are laid out nicely and everything is clean. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I fill up the tank and start moving inhabitants from the frag tank and 60g cube tank into it.

They are easy to cut with scissors and have a peel and stick backing on them. They do make it much prettier under there. These are the ones I used:

There's a ton of different ones on there and wanted low profile. I should have probably gone with the next size up since some of the connectors don't fit in these raceways.

Last edited:

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up my stand and tank this week and put it in my waiting room. I have less room behind the tank than I thought I would have. I think I'm going to have to go with controller board or controller cabinet IF I have the room for cable management.

Also, I have a recipe for bourbon slush to ease you into bourbon. I actually don't like bourbon but this stuff is good but super sweet.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back