kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speedy recovery for your son!

Also, the shoulder ache from siphoning Cyano is real... I have a bit in my 60g and have to switch arms halfway through so one arm doesn't get bigger than the other one.
bugs bunny flirting GIF by Looney Tunes
Since I'm a midget, I end up getting my armpit and eventually down my side wet as I lift up my arm out of the tank repeatedly -- the water just rolls down, and eventually, I just have to give in. I would have siphoned a million times more if it would have saved my torches. I am so bummed out.

Thank you for the well-wishes! :) Recovery time is about 4-6 weeks, at which time we'll do the whole thing again on his other leg. It will be two weeks before he can bear any weight, and then I'll get him a sweet kneeling scooter thing. It's going to be a long winter.

Do you run a fuge? Have a hob filter?
Filter sock and canister in sump, as well as a fuge, carbon reactor, and skimmer.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ask about the fuge only because thats where my cyano likes to live. It wont grow in the display. I cant figure out why it's being so aggressive with your tank. You have the worst and longest case of cyano i have red about.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost three torches (two of which were gifts from William :( ), and five SPS corals, but I have almost beat the cyano. All of the corals that didn't die are opening back up and the LPS are starting to extend their polyps again.

It was the worst, most exhausting workday I have had in a while. My son had surgery yesterday and has needed me a lot today -- but everyone at work needed me, too. It's 6:25pm, and I'm ready for bed.

I hope y'all are doing well and bellyflopping into a big puddle of holiday cheer. xoxo
Hope you son recovers soon.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask about the fuge only because thats where my cyano likes to live. It wont grow in the display. I cant figure out why it's being so aggressive with your tank. You have the worst and longest case of cyano i have red about.
I think the issue is that the tank is only 2-3 months old and has seen a lot of changes, tank swaps, and heavy stocking in such a short amount of time, its still a very immature tank. It’s hard for a new system’s biome to reach equilibrium with so many big changes.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some GHA in the fuge, but no cyano at all. It stayed put in the DT.

I think the issue is that the tank is only 2-3 months old and has seen a lot of changes, tank swaps, and heavy stocking in such a short amount of time, its still a very immature tank. It’s hard for a new system’s biome to reach equilibrium with so many big changes.
The issue is more likely due to me falling down to the bottom of a well and not doing water changes or any real maintenance for about a month. Everything was stable -- and actually remained stable through my month of despair. I tested everything before doing a big water change and the only thing that was abnormal was that the alkalinity dropped significantly -- and cyano tends to thrive in low-alk water. Everything was thriving prior to that, with tons of coral growth and happy fish. I'll get it all dialed back in. :) I'm getting close to feeling sort of like a real person again.

Back