Klir Filter Review.

PatReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PatReef good job. this brings it to a new level.
here is an an idea. what if we have it automatically roll every 4 hours and have the sensor just as a back up. Just an idea

can you post pictures of the sensor please
thanks
Do you have a picture of where you mounted the optical sensor? I’m really trying to use my Klir for my tank but the optical sensor that comes with it sits too high up in my sump

Is the optical sensor on this picture....
287AC110-7FEF-48CB-8D3A-18063F720965.jpeg

Jiri Kocourek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea:). I set it up through Apex as well. One question. I’m not Apex expert. I do not know what it is LEVEL KLIR VIRTUAL OUTPUT (If error Level Klir Then off)

PatReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea:). I set it up through Apex as well. One question. I’m not Apex expert. I do not know what it is LEVEL KLIR VIRTUAL OUTPUT (If error Level Klir Then off)
In apex you can use some vitual output. In this case I use them to activate the ''Emailalarm'' or disable some component like pump or other. Here is the programming of my Klir. I will try to explain as best as possible my prog. I may have complicated my life but I prefer to be more careful and avoid problems

Klir = optical sensor ... open = low level, close= over level

FMM 24volt output'' Klir_motor''
... For run motor

OSC 000:00/000:02/000:58 Then ON .... put motor on every minute but
If Klir OPEN Then OFF .... off if level low (under optical sensor). previous line never true with low level
Defer 000:04 Then OFF ..... When on, motor always run for 4 sec.
When On > 000:08 Then OFF .... If the engine runs for more than 8 seconds, this output turn off. With this function I activate the email alarm. (see below : error Klir_motor) and prevent wasting a whole roll!
If Error Level_Klir Then OFF ..... stop / never on if error with ''level_klir''

Virtual output '' Level_Klir
..... For catching level problem, optical sensor problem in closed position or motor problem. 2 level of alarm

Set OFF
If Klir CLOSED Then ON
Defer 003:00 Then ON .... I reduce de speed 50% of my return pump. At this speed I'm sure I will not overflow into the filter compartment. And give me (when it's posssible) some time to resolve problem. activate the email alarm
When On > 010:00 Then OFF .... if this, I have a major problem, broken engine, broken optical, roll jam. Stop return pump. Activate the email alarm

Vitual output ''Fleece_klir'' ... To detect a broken fleece or empty roll or optical sensor defect in open position

If Klir OPEN Then OFF
Defer 360:00 Then OFF ....

''email alarm''
If Error Level_Klir Then ON
If Error Klire_motor Then ON
If Error Fleece_Klir Then ON
If Output Level_Klir = ON Then ON

Jiri Kocourek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super. Thank you for explanation:)

I’m try it without a virtual sensor;). I connect the motor/engine directly into the apex power supply. Apex optical sensor connect to FMM and set email alarm: If Sensor KLIR Closed Then ON

I hope it will work well. Only the motor/engine is spinning slowly and I think more time will be needed for rolling (20-30 seconds).

TLeTourneau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- Remove the Klire motor.
2 - Adapt the new motor on the support plate, see my previous post. I use MECANO srew to fix it!
3- Adapt the black core of the soiled fleece for the engine shaft which is a little bigger. (I will reuse this core for the next change of fleece roll)
4- Buy ''Neptune Systems DC24 to Bare Wire Cable'' or DYI and connect it to the motor, check the direction of rotation before final connection.
5- Use a optical level sensor for a point in Apex program.

If you have more specific questions, do not hesitate

Neptune prog:
Klir = optical sensor
Level_Klir = vitual output to manage overflow if optical sensor(Klir) are on > 2 min.

Capture.JPG

Thanks for this! Quick question, what's a MECANO screw? I've Googled but there are a few different results.

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Just bought a used DI4 and I'm ready to chuck it. Now I see why it was being sold! Lol.

dang roll snags so much, but I'll try and file down some edges tomorrow.

PatReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
I use this engine now. Stronger than the previous and easy to install. I have never had a stuck engine with this one.
Capture.JPG

TLeTourneau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd share, I had an issue with the motor not being able to turn the roll. I opened a ticket and Coral-Vue replaced the motor assembly under warranty, great service! The new motor is significantly larger than the original motor and doesn't seem to have any issue turning the roll. It is a 12v 11RPM motor.

20190823_182025.jpg

Last edited:

Style68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I as well received the new motor from Coralvue. Works much better. I also added a large PC fan on top of my Klir and it works great keeping the paper dry at the top of the roller.

ShellSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd share, I had an issue with the motor not being able to turn the roll. I opened a ticket and Coral-Vue replaced the motor assembly under warranty, great service! The new motor is significantly larger than the original motor and doesn't seem to have any issue turning the roll. It is a 12v 11RPM motor.

20190823_182025.jpg
I have this new motor and it works fine. My problem is my sump design Trigger 39, does not lend itself to the optic sensor for motor activation. I want to bypass the optic and program my apex to turn roll periodically. I will determine that frequency later. For now my question would be can I connect motor to Neptune bare wireDC24 ?

TLeTourneau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this new motor and it works fine. My problem is my sump design Trigger 39, does not lend itself to the optic sensor for motor activation. I want to bypass the optic and program my apex to turn roll periodically. I will determine that frequency later. For now my question would be can I connect motor to Neptune bare wireDC24 ?
You'd either need a different motor or a step-down converter. The Klir motor is 12 volt and the Neptune DC24 is 24 volt.

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to purchase klir 4”, will coralvue send me a new motor or are they resisting ? I assume the new unit shipping do not come with a new motor ?

Style68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to purchase klir 4”, will coralvue send me a new motor or are they resisting ? I assume the new unit shipping do not come with a new motor ?
I am confident they will send you the updated motor if it didn't come with your new unit. I had no issues getting one.

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 7" Klir does not fit my new Bashsea 30 sump! Not a surprise, now that I discovered and read through this thread. Should have read it first.
In any case, it looks like I am in for some mods.
First, regarding the leakage/bypass between the Klir's collars and the sump's sock tray opening. There are three choices of collars provided, 6.875", 7", and 7.5", but the sump's opening is 6.625. Should I ream out the opening so that there is a snug fit? Alternatively, could I use the larger collar and fit it with a flat gasket that rests on the sump's tray?
Secondly, the upper cover on top of the sock tray of the Bashsea 30 sump is integrated into the entire sump and has a round 7.5" diameter opening. A 8.5" opening is needed to accommodate the rectangular shape of the Klir's upper chamber. It kills me to chop up my beautiful new sump, but I see no other option.
I figure that it will be a few years before the young roller filter industry matures and a couple leaders remain. Then the sump manufacturers can modify their products accordingly.

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it me, or does it sound like the Klir was not well designed. When I first saw this idea, I really liked it. A drop in solution to replace filter socks. But now I see seven pages of complaints and mods trying to get this thing to work. Is there a better product out there?? Is there any one out there who got it to work with out any hiccups??

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it me, or does it sound like the Klir was not well designed. When I first saw this idea, I really liked it. A drop in solution to replace filter socks. But now I see seven pages of complaints and mods trying to get this thing to work. Is there a better product out there?? Is there any one out there who got it to work with out any hiccups??

Bad Design? I don't think so, it came down to the original motor wasn't good enough. I run the KLIR 7 myself and it has been the best thing I have purchased for my system in a VERY long time. I am about 2 weeks in and my sump is SPOTLESS. Every single fleece product out there are basically the same, so I wouldn't say it was a bad design, just weak motor which they have fixed in the KLIR 7. I would buy it again many times over, thank god I no longer have socks in my sump what a pain in the ****!

Style68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad Design? I don't think so, it came down to the original motor wasn't good enough. I run the KLIR 7 myself and it has been the best thing I have purchased for my system in a VERY long time. I am about 2 weeks in and my sump is SPOTLESS. Every single fleece product out there are basically the same, so I wouldn't say it was a bad design, just weak motor which they have fixed in the KLIR 7. I would buy it again many times over, thank god I no longer have socks in my sump what a pain in the ****!
I agree. After installing the new motor it has worked great for me. I am using the standalone bracket with it which does work much better for me than without it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.8%
Back