Large Breed Dogs Anyone?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he is home. It has been less than 48 hours and he has figured out the dog door, although he gets stuck half way still. Has loved beating up his big brother, and is just so stinking cute.
By the size now .
he will be massive

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the size now .
he will be massive
And he was second smallest in the litter. The largest pups were just big chunkers. So cute. The breeder did say this was a smaller sized litter as there were 12. Also, had to be bottle fed as mom got mastitis, and sister (false pregnancy) took over nursing. We got to see them grow up as we were only 15minutes from breeder. All the pups were so sweet and calm. So excited to have a mastiff again.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he was second smallest in the litter. The largest pups were just big chunkers. So cute. The breeder did say this was a smaller sized litter as there were 12. Also, had to be bottle fed as mom got mastitis, and sister (false pregnancy) took over nursing. We got to see them grow up as we were only 15minutes from breeder. All the pups were so sweet and calm. So excited to have a mastiff again.
Small large breed dogs are still large .
Hopefully mom is ok or able to retire from breeding . And let’s hope sister doesn’t have to feed her brothers

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mom is doing great. She was a very sweet big girl. We got to know all the girls at the breeder.
True statement. When most say big dog they think 100lbs. I am warped by having many male mastiffs and think my 130lb mutt is small. Our rottie was just tiny. :)
We do not care about size as much as temperament and soundness. However, most males reach at least 200lbs.
I love the bigguns!!! I like most dogs. Being a former vet tech, I love most animals.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mom is doing great. She was a very sweet big girl. We got to know all the girls at the breeder.
True statement. When most say big dog they think 100lbs. I am warped by having many male mastiffs and think my 130lb mutt is small. Our rottie was just tiny. :)
We do not care about size as much as temperament and soundness. However, most males reach at least 200lbs.
I love the bigguns!!! I like most dogs. Being a former vet tech, I love most animals.
I understand 100%
Cali is a mastiff and Great Dane mix . 165lbs and just over 2 years old
Being female she will hopefully stay on the smaller size and maybe almost at her max height

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a “working Line” German Shepard? If so how difficult has your journey been from pup to adult? 70674443598__605FB300-8E88-4D5E-835E-EEA6B73B3A43.jpeg
Ginger … a DDR line GSD … its been a challenge to say the least … “Easy to train” is NOT equal to “less training”

If I could send her to graduate school I’m sure she would get her degree, canine IQ off the charts

Easily bored with insane exercise needs, I got her before doing the proper research … all shepard lines are not the same

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a “working Line” German Shepard? If so how difficult has your journey been from pup to adult? 70674443598__605FB300-8E88-4D5E-835E-EEA6B73B3A43.jpeg
Ginger … a DDR line GSD … its been a challenge to say the least … “Easy to train” is NOT equal to “less training”

If I could send her to graduate school I’m sure she would get her degree, canine IQ off the charts

Easily bored with insane exercise needs, I got her before doing the proper research … all shepard lines are not the same
Beautiful shepard! I use to train mine in Schutzund back in the 80's-90's.
They have so much energy. For 2 years I ran 5 miles a days with him. We were both in shape back then, lol.
I was going to get a Mali now that im retired but got injured at work. It would not be fair to the dog, imo. Working lines are way different than a pet for sure.
I could never get one and not work it.
Fighting weight was 85lbs.
My old shepard Mako The Land Shark.
20191122_061321.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@90's reefer that is a gorgeous shepard …
and you are correct, old folks that can’t properly exercise a dog, esp. a “Working line” shouldn’t get one …
we have a hard time keeping up
…I didn’t do my homework before purchase and focused on avoiding (some) of those schizophrenia, hi anxiety, bad hipped puppy mill American lines… We spent $$$ to avoid all of that… didn’t realize these German lines are almost a different breed ..

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The greatest challenge so far was training a Great Dane / mastiff mix .
Almost 200lbs of defiance and stubbornness

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1421.jpeg
IMG_2838.jpeg
IMG_3912.jpeg

Our house is ran by 3 Great Danes. To be honest I wanted a bull mastiff but was unable to locate any when we were looking to get a puppy so we chose to get the harlequin female and the pack just grew from there! We actually just bred the black female to the fawn male last week! Super excited for babies!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back