Lasses Dream Build

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because that I will be away for a week or two from next Monday - I had take a decision - no more fish before I´m home again. However - when you visit a fish store and the owner ask - have you seen this beauty and at the same time turn a stone upp side down. Yes I had - in my dreams - what to do...…..

IMG_20190129_175359.jpg

Well - it is in my refugium now :)

Sincerely Lasse
What is it? Never seen it before

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last spring, I had a very though surgery at the hospital and was away from my aquaria for 14 days. It works out well. Between 5 – 18/1 I was away on a vacation – and it works out well this time too. When I got home, I had to prepare the aquarium once again to manage without me – because of another hospital staying – this time they must fix some incisional hernia from the last operation in April 2018. The surgery took place last Monday and the recovery going good for the moment – probably home in a week I write this because I know that some of my friends looking for me writing here in order to calculate how strong painkillers I use for the moment, hence know how I´m going just now

I have constructed this aquarium in order to work as a low maintain system during vacations and holidays – but it is evidently stable even in unprepared events

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last spring, I had a very though surgery at the hospital and was away from my aquaria for 14 days. It works out well. Between 5 – 18/1 I was away on a vacation – and it works out well this time too. When I got home, I had to prepare the aquarium once again to manage without me – because of another hospital staying – this time they must fix some incisional hernia from the last operation in April 2018. The surgery took place last Monday and the recovery going good for the moment – probably home in a week I write this because I know that some of my friends looking for me writing here in order to calculate how strong painkillers I use for the moment, hence know how I´m going just now

I have constructed this aquarium in order to work as a low maintain system during vacations and holidays – but it is evidently stable even in unprepared events

Sincerely Lasse
I hope your recovery goes well Lasse!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope

Sincerely Lasse
Hope all goes well. Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is going better and better with the health - now I have only one shelf on the stomach - it was 3 before - one for the coffee cup, one for the drink and one for the grandchildren :)

For a while - I have had som higher PO4 and NO3 levels compared with before and since 1.5 weeks ago I have started to add DOC (ethanol) below my Reversed Remote Deep Sand Bed (RRDSB) again. For 3 months now - I have just not done that and use it as flow through filter. What´s happen very fast was that the NO3 hit zero and - surprisingly even the PO4 hit zero. I changed my GFO the same time but I feed the aquaria with Chaeto juice every night - the PO4 should not normally drop to zero just because new GFO.

For the moment I add PO4 and NO3. I did see this in advance - because some of my euphyllia did not look like they should. I thought it was because of on filefish I use as an aitasipa but they did nor recover after I took out the fish. Now they looks well (after that I start to dose)

Sincerely Lasse

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse, sorry if I missed this in the earlier part of your thread, what was the reason you went to no water change? Was that your goal all along once you reached a certain point, was it due to ICP test availability, or another reason altogether (or combination of all)?

Cheers!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There ia a couple of reasons why I chose that path. Since long time ago I have now and then notice draw backs when I did WC. With my aquarium before this I test not to do any WC - it works well but there was signs of depletion of one or another compound. I started to dose trace compounds and run into a disaster - not with my corals but with all other animals. The ICP tests was just available at that time. With my new aquaria I decided to do WC the first months but after half a year was my experiences with ICP test so good that I stop with WC for a year. After a year I had to do nearly a 80 % WC because of ridiculous high silicon levels. It was 13 months ago.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information @Lasse. I dont want to simplify it too much, but do you think your setup allows you to do no WC, IE refugium and your under gravel system and how you utilize that, or do you think most tanks could go no WC after a certain amount of time?

Your setup is amazing, so trying to think through everything my mind can assimilate before attempting to go no WC in my tank. I have enjoyed reading through your build, always something to learn in this hobby. I have read your comments on the cyano thread as well, I need to get my PhD in Biology after reading that:).

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information @Lasse. I dont want to simplify it too much, but do you think your setup allows you to do no WC, IE refugium and your under gravel system and how you utilize that, or do you think most tanks could go no WC after a certain amount of time?

Your setup is amazing, so trying to think through everything my mind can assimilate before attempting to go no WC in my tank. I have enjoyed reading through your build, always something to learn in this hobby. I have read your comments on the cyano thread as well, I need to get my PhD in Biology after reading that:).

I also don't do water changes, I will do them if needed.
You need to picture how it should work if it is was self sufficient, not going to happen IMO unless you have a magic wand, I do dose to keep my levels ok for the corals, 2 heaters, 2 return pumps, 3 power heads and two refugiums, I think it is a great way to go but it takes patience and planning to do simple! ;)

DSC_0002 (1024x636).jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

I left the door open in our lower level where the tank is overnight last night. Will see how well things do. (it was -20 here C last PM)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back