OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the symptoms? How long have you had it? Can you post a picture? What are your tank’s parameters?

Pics? Symptoms? Behavior?

Check the other thread there are pictures there and all info please help me I’m expecting him dead tomorrow

Heloooooooooooooo

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bullying in tank?

How old is your tank and is it eating? Would you say there was enough algae for it to graze?

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bullying in tank?

How old is your tank and is it eating? Would you say there was enough algae for it to graze?
No bullying tank is 4 months old
He was eating algae and hikari sea weed sinking wafers and hikari marine s and also mastick the stuff you stick on the glass
He always has a full belly and is very happy
Only yesterday I didn’t see him after 5 pm and all day today he’s hiding and no colour and his gills are moving fast and his mouth too

Last edited:

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bullying tank is 4 months old
He was eating algae and hikari sea weed sinking wafers and hikari marine s and also mastick the stuff you stick on the glass
He always has a full belly and is very happy
Only yesterday I didn’t see him after 5 pm and all day today he’s hiding and no colour and his gills are moving fast and his mouth too

What other fish are in the tank? Any fish chasing it?

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank? Any fish chasing it?
Baby vlamingi tank named kari
Powder brown
Fire fish
2 clowns
Thats it ...
No bullying whatsoever
Only thing different was that he was recently sleeping under a rock as he suddenly discovered he can dig in the tank

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmovers like sailfin Blennies get paler at night or in shade, that’s not necessarily a sign of disease.

When did it stop eating? Does it try to come out when you feed? Does it move around the tank at all? Are you noticing rapid breathing non-stop or just intermittently? Continuous Rapid breathing isn’t normal but could be a sign of a lot issue from parasites to bullying.

FYI Tangs may exhibit aggression to Blennies - same food source.

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmovers like sailfin Blennies get paler at night or in shade, that’s not necessarily a sign of disease.

When did it stop eating? Does it try to come out when you feed? Does it move around the tank at all? Are you noticing rapid breathing non-stop or just intermittently? Continuous Rapid breathing isn’t normal but could be a sign of a lot issue from parasites to bullying.

FYI Tangs may exhibit aggression to Blennies - same food source.
Thank you yes I’m aware of that
What worried me was the fact that he did not come out the whole day even at feeding time .
Rapid non stop breathing
Hasn’t moved from the same 30cm area of the tank since morning .
Thanks for the info had no idea about tangs and blenny aggression . Yes it makes sense they do eat the same thing and feed the same way ... thanks
Powder brown is very calm and the vlamingi is so sweet he is very inquisitive and follows the powder brown around doing exactly as he does . The vlamingi tang has a really good bond with me . He gets excited when I shake the food packet in front of the tank and he tries to swim in my hand and hide in my fingers when I’m cleaning the tank .

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you yes I’m aware of that
What worried me was the fact that he did not come out the whole day even at feeding time .
Rapid non stop breathing
Hasn’t moved from the same 30cm area of the tank since morning .
Thanks for the info had no idea about tangs and blenny aggression . Yes it makes sense they do eat the same thing and feed the same way ... thanks
Powder brown is very calm and the vlamingi is so sweet he is very inquisitive and follows the powder brown around doing exactly as he does . The vlamingi tang has a really good bond with me . He gets excited when I shake the food packet in front of the tank and he tries to swim in my hand and hide in my fingers when I’m cleaning the tank .

It’s not completely unusual for a blenny to stay in a small area perched on a rock or something. If I understood correctly, you mentioned you lost one lawnmower already. Did it follow the same pattern? Hiding, rapid breathing?

As for tangs and Blennies I’ve seen it many times especially in smaller and newer tanks but can also happen later. I had to rehome my lawnmower after my sweet and friendly kole tang wouldn’t leave it alone.

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not completely unusual for a blenny to stay in a small area perched on a rock or something. If I understood correctly, you mentioned you lost one lawnmower already. Did it follow the same pattern? Hiding, rapid breathing?

As for tangs and Blennies I’ve seen it many times especially in smaller and newer tanks but can also happen later. I had to rehome my lawnmower after my sweet and friendly kole tang wouldn’t leave it alone.
(Thank you for your time firstly)
I am very upset and aprechiate it that you are trying to help out .

(Ok so the first one was also qarentined )
He died suddenly with no stmptoms after being in my tank for 3 weeks
in the night he was eating and active and in the morning I found his lifeless body. No warning signs .
Ok great advice I will keep a close eye tomorrow and see what I can find out about the relationships between my tangs and the blenny that is if he is still alive tomorrow :(
I’ll keep you updated
Off topic question ? should have I gotten a starry blenny over a lawnmower blenny
I heard starry blennies were hardier and stood their ground more ?!? If aggression might be the case
I just prefer lawnmower blenies
Oh and FYI
He has almost doubled in size since I got him a month ago

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome and hope we can help you save it! That’s why all the questions as many people will read this and may come up with different ideas of what may be wrong or may have had similar experience.

As far as Blennies go, I’d wait until your tank is a bit more established. Their primary food source is microalgae and they can eat a lot of it. They willl accept prepared foods but some still don’t do well. Any spots on it or injuries?

If it’s an aggression issue then I don’t believe a starry or any blenny will be able to “stand its ground” to a tang...but yes starry Blennies tend to be slightly easier to keep, again I’d wait a bit longer before adding.

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome and hope we can help you save it! That’s why all the questions as many people will read this and may come up with different ideas of what may be wrong or may have had similar experience.

As far as Blennies go, I’d wait until your tank is a bit more established. Their primary food source is microalgae and they can eat a lot of it. They willl accept prepared foods but some still don’t do well. Any spots on it or injuries?

If it’s an aggression issue then I don’t believe a starry or any blenny will be able to “stand its ground” to a tang...but yes starry Blennies tend to be slightly easier to keep, again I’d wait a bit longer before adding.
Ok some additional info
It’s a 100 galon I used live rock and normal sand I think it’s (Fiji pink )it cycled in a month and I started off with a damsel and one clown and slowly added from there
Still have those two fish
As far as filtration I have a hang on seachem tidal 75 (2000 l/h ) and a canister filter also (2000 l/h )
My skimmer is a reef octopus hang on 2000
My lighting is one aqua illumination hydra 52
My flow is a maxspect gyre it’s a 250 and I have a controller and I set it to oceanic setting at 30% max because any more is too much
Have never had problems always good things going on . Lots of copepods I noticed recently and I feed slowly and not too much.
No spots or injuries I could tell of .
it’s possible he may have hurt himself with all that digging under the rocks or he may have got stuck somewhere .

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update ——————-Update———————

HE is still on the rock he moved to at 9:00 pm
I’ve been checking on him
It is now 1:38 am And he is still alive

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back