Lawnmower Blenny?

  • Thread starter Thread starter noo2usa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
That is typical behavior for them, he is eating the algae off of the rocks. If you let the algae grow on the glass for a few days you will have little kiss marks all over the tank. He shouldn't bother the corals but there is always a slim chance.
 
he should be eating the algea thats on your rocks. I got one for the hair algea in my tank and he was always nipping at the wall and the rocks. I dont think you will have a problem with him eating your coral. Mine hasnt done any damage.
 
He is eating the algae but it looks like he is busting little pieces off. I have also caught him hassling my snails and hermits.
 
Do your rocks have algae and stuff on them to eat? Has he been eating prepared food at all?
 
I haven't actually watched him eat. My schedule is crazy so I don't have the opportunity to watch them like I would like. I have put herbivore flakes in the tank for him but I don't know if he's eating it. It looks like he is eating the hair algae.
 
A few years ago my kids nicknamed it the headbanger because of how he eats the algae. I had a regular lawnmower several years back and now a stary blenny. I have clams, sps,lps and some zoas and have never had a problem with them. But, like skins said you never know for sure.
 
I'll keep an eye on him but I think everything will be ok. He is a lot of fun to watch...
 
Good luck with him. I had one when I first started in saltwater and they are fun to watch for sure. I love watching most blennies for that matter :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new