Leaking Red Sea

Tom Caknakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Im not here to bashing anyone, just share my experience.

5 weeks ago I post this question at Facebook Red Sea owners group. 50% aswers said completly normal, 50% said its a problem.

IMG_5668.jpg

Unfortunately we didnt do anything and this morning got this:

IMG_5672.PNG

Shared this video at Red Sea group and immediately was deleted - ok, I understand , they protect theyre brand.

I know there is many RS users with same issue. I would lik ask you for your experience with RS tech support - have you got some compensation, or it doesnt worth time and effort write them? Tank is 13 months old.

Thanks for reply and sorry for my english. Tom

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bummer,usually the'll work with ya,worth a email

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
current never gets back to you in my calls thou

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah mate, that’s a bummer! Id be straight on the phone to them. Have you fixed it or stopped the leak? If the tank is under warranty then Red Sea should replace it for sure. But this doesn’t help your current predicament. Do you have a spare tank?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that this issue was acknowledged and corrected by Red Sea.

Apparently, they added a support to prevent the top of the stand from sagging. The support was added to new systems going out and I also understand that Red Sea offered a retro fit support to running set ups.

Wasn't that the 350??

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Long thread here that covers a lot of the discussion and the eventual Red Sea response (amidst a lot of griping and sniping). Can’t blame people for being unhappy with a leaking tank. The sense of a lack of response/support stoked a lot of passion on all sides, but probably worth the read.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long thread here that covers a lot of the discussion and the eventual Red Sea response (amidst a lot of griping and sniping). Can’t blame people for being unhappy with a leaking tank. The sense of a lack of response/support stoked a lot of passion on all sides, but probably worth the read.

This is the thread I was thinking of. It was the 750...

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people on the Facebook page said its completely normal,were there many people with the same issue?
I've just checked my 250 and it looks like yours, though not as bad.
Do you think that the slightly out of line seams were connected to the leak from the bottom of your tank?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best that will happen is Red sea will likely replace the tank if you’re the original owner. Sorry to see that you have to deal with this.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys. I’m not trying to protect anyone, and feel for the OP, but this is just not the right way to handle these things, and I wish we, the reefing community could learn this.

The proper and gentleman way is to contact the manufacturer, see if they can sort it out or not, and only if they truely are unfair publish it on the internet forums, facebook groups.
But posting it on the internet before even asking RedSea about the situation is a bad move.

I was and sometimes still are like this, I understand this is the “fashion” to handle things nowdays, especially when one loses his mind because of the issue, but if you think about it a bit, it really is bad behaviour and can be contraproductive.

Last edited by a moderator:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys. I’m not trying to protect anyone, and feel for the OP, but this is just not the right way to handle these things, and I wish we, the reefing community could learn this.

The proper and gentleman way is to contact the manufacturer, see if they can sort it out or not, and only if they truely are unfair publish it on the internet forums, facebook groups.
But posting it on the internet before even asking RedSea about the situation is a bad move.

I was and sometimes still are like this, I understand this is the “fashion” to handle things nowdays, especially when one loses his mind because of the issue, but if you think about it a bit, it really is bad behaviour and can be contraproductive.
These type posts are exactly why Red Sea ended up creating a fix for the 750xxl. Because people were able to see and discuss them without Red Sea deleting the posts. Also Red Sea extended the Warranty to try to help people With all tank Issues. The OP is perfectly entitled to post about their tank and problems.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These type posts are exactly why Red Sea ended up creating a fix for the 750xxl. Because people were able to see and discuss them without Red Sea deleting the posts. Also Red Sea extended the Warranty to try to help people With all tank Issues. The OP is perfectly entitled to post about their tank and problems.
Maybe, just maybe they’ve had done it anyway based on the official customer - manufacturer conversations as well if the numbers told them to do so.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just curious as I’ve never been on the Facebook forum, but why are posts immediately deleted without at least referring/guiding the person on where to report such issues? it would come across as censoring versus guiding to me With that approach which doesn’t help anyone.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious as I’ve never been on the Facebook forum, but why are posts immediately deleted without at least referring/guiding the person on where to report such issues? it would come across as censoring versus guiding to me With that approach which doesn’t help anyone.
They do guide people to the support site.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I could not disagree more. It'd be one thing if the OP came on here flaming the company and telling everyone it's trash and don't do business with them. I think it's entirely appropriate to come to a reefing forum and share your experience with a reefing product, good or bad. This is especially true when dealing with an issue that could perhaps cost tens of thousands in loss and repair to yourself and others. In this case, he didn't even say anything bad about Red Sea, he simply asked if dealing with customer service is worth his time or not.

There is a right way and wrong way to approach these things. I don't believe this was out of line whatsoever. Contacting the manufacturer and sharing the experience with the community are not mutually exclusive either, you can and should do both.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's certainly a weird way to do business in the age of social media and such. It also seems to be one of the worst kept secrets in the hobby so I'm not sure why they continue to be so evasive about it. If all the issues have been addressed, they should happily shout it from the rooftops.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well... I do think the right thing to do is to give any manufacturer an opportunity to address an issue.

But Red Sea is ridiculously over priced to begin with. On top of that, there is a design flaw in their stands which caused this kind of problem with the 750XXL.

And when you pay over $5000.00 for a system that has these kind of issues, you can't blame someone for becoming emotional and putting them on public blast.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is how manufacturers cover up issues as long as they can, handle it out of sight of everyone else in this case as the rest wait unknowingly until it fails in the middle of the night.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When people on the Facebook page said its completely normal,were there many people with the same issue?
I've just checked my 250 and it looks like yours, though not as bad.
Do you think that the slightly out of line seams were connected to the leak from the bottom of your tank?
It wouldn’t hurt to contact Red Sea and get an official evaluation from them. If they say it’s fine and something then goes south, you can point back to this evaluation as part of your justification for repair.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back