LED fixture to compliment MH

Turd Ferguson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 40G IM-EXT and tomorrow I’m switching from x4 T5 to a Hamilton 250W Cayman Sun Pendant with a 14k Phoenix MH Bulb

While not really necessary (for growth), , I’m considering adding LED supplemental lighting. Mainly because given the small tank, dealing with temperature issues and excessive evaporation, I don’t want to run the MH for to a long photo period and would like to simulate dusk and dawn, or low light so I can view the tank out outside the scheduled of the halide.

My first thought is a Kessil Tuna blue as the mounting is adjustable and I can keep it away from the heat of the halide, with a relatively small footprint.

Any suggestions ? The Kessil is kinda pricey given the intended need therefore I’m open to less expensive options

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tuna blue lights and have nothing but good things to say about them. Can't beat the color and shimmer.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RB XHO is my suggestion too. They are just for supplement, but they look good. If you want the LED to pull some weight with growth, then maybe a few of the Orphek bars which have some OK PPFD/PAR for what they are.

OP
OP
Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently RB has a bracket to attached to ATI fixtures, anyone try using them with RB or Orphek to attached to a Hamilton Fixture?

To balance the fixture, I’d install a strip on each side. Kinda like Kessil to but have to do some research. Cost wise... RB XO are very affordable.

Thanks for your input !

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem like they can attach to anything with screws in the lower outside corners. I have one on an AquaMedic Fixture and got one on a Giesemann that I took off, but it was mounted on there.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 40G IM-EXT and tomorrow I’m switching from x4 T5 to a Hamilton 250W Cayman Sun Pendant with a 14k Phoenix MH Bulb

While not really necessary (for growth), , I’m considering adding LED supplemental lighting. Mainly because given the small tank, dealing with temperature issues and excessive evaporation, I don’t want to run the MH for to a long photo period and would like to simulate dusk and dawn, or low light so I can view the tank out outside the scheduled of the halide.

My first thought is a Kessil Tuna blue as the mounting is adjustable and I can keep it away from the heat of the halide, with a relatively small footprint.

Any suggestions ? The Kessil is kinda pricey given the intended need therefore I’m open to less expensive options

What color do you want?
How do you want to do "sunset/sunrise"?
Though not horribly complex it's not often as straight forward as one thinks..

Here is a thought:
Using reefbreeders bars (choice of colors) and your own power supply
meanwell hlg-60h-42ab (need the AB series not the one sold by reefbreeders, will get to that in a minute)
10V analog controller (10v PWM or manual pots work as well)
Timer for on/off (analog dimming rarely goes below 10% therefore need an OFF switch)

Reefbreeders will need to be run in parallel, thus their Warning that you need 3 24" bars.
1/3 the output current per strip
Just need to adjust the power supply. AB has that capability of both current and voltage adjustability and dimming.

HERE IS THE CATCH.. I'm guessing at the power supply atm. Need the specs of the "cheap" one that comes with it.
Or the model # of the one from reefbreeders.

Sounds confusing but isn't THAT complicated especially if one just wants "color" or light not a lot of PAR .
Most bars of this type run 500mA-ish and voltage needed is the sum of the 18 diodes at chosen current.
Bars have 18 LEDs for 24" Stated 3W type (not run at 3W). Not sure if it's one whole string (unlikely) or 2 parallel strings.

SBReef has similar but currently bunch of 24" are out of stock.
Chinese New Year throws shipments off..

I'd also suggest just cheap programmable strip lights but you only have 4" on each side of the MH.
Heck for $67 each you got an "accent light" There are other choices of color..

Last edited:

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What did you end up with? I was thinking about a similar scenario. For a 20x20 Hamilton 400w. Was thinking 3x24” Orphek. Mabye I’ll have to do a DIY project.

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Please please please tell me you've looked into the nicobar from reef delight. These lights are insanely bright and got an awesome review from reef builders.

They have spec sheets on their website that display the coverages, light spectrums and outputs from each bar.

I have the wifi blues and whites. These friggin things are beasts. The fit and finish is second to none and the hanging kit was so easy to put together.

I wouldn't run any of my tanks without them that's for sure. I could legitimately run an entire 2 foot wide frag tank w a single bar and have excellent growth.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back