Lighting debate for a nanoreef

Sandberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!

Im stuck on debating lighting for my new Waterbox 15G peninsula. Im looking to grow a lot of softies with a couple of lps, possibly a nem, and maybe some acro/monti’s. I’ve been looking around and I’m down to either an AI prime or a xr15 blue. Is the xr total overkill or is it worth the better spread and power? My worry with the Ai is since its a more rectangular tank than a cube that their spread isnt as good and can create some shadowing. Also worried that it won’t do as well for a nem or sps. Any feedback/tips would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
S

Sandberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!

Im stuck on debating lighting for my new Waterbox 15G peninsula. Im looking to grow a lot of softies with a couple of lps, possibly a nem, and maybe some acro/monti’s. I’ve been looking around and I’m down to either an AI prime or a xr15 blue. Is the xr total overkill or is it worth the better spread and power? My worry with the Ai is since its a more rectangular tank than a cube that their spread isnt as good and can create some shadowing. Also worried that it won’t do as well for a nem or sps. Any feedback/tips would be greatly appreciated!
Anyone else have any input on this?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be comfortable choosing the Prime if I had this tank. I have softies, LPS, and SPS in my Evo with its stock lighting -- as do many others -- so there's probably no real need to go that big. And the price differential between the XR15 and a Prime is pretty big. I'd got with the XR15 if I had plans to upgrade to a four foot tank (or larger) in the next year and wanted some options for expandability.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!

I have a WB 15G Peninsula with an AI Prime. It is plenty for softies and lps, even sps if you're careful with placement. The bigger factor, I believe is your aquascape. The AI Prime is a puck and the light is pretty directional. The gooseneck on the Prime can be adjusted to center the light nicely over the tank about 9" above the waterline. I've moved my waterline up from standard with a surface skimmer so my light is 8.5" from the waterline. My only issue (all monti sps) with the light is I have a vertical aquascape and the shadowing can be an issue but careful coral placement cures that. With a more traditional or even negative space aquascape it is fine.

If funds were unlimited, I'd personally buy the XR15 for the spread and power but at twice the price no way I would pay the freight for an LPS tank. The AI Prime is plenty.

If you plan to eventually be mainly monti/acro, get the XR15. The Prime is pushing its limits and you will need to confine the most demanding corals to the upper third of the tank.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear by the AI Primes but I’ve been thinking about giving the XR15 a try. Not super thrilled with my Reefbreeder. The XR15 is nice because it has a slightly larger footprint than the prime.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear by the AI Primes but I’ve been thinking about giving the XR15 a try. Not super thrilled with my Reefbreeder. The XR15 is nice because it has a slightly larger footprint than the prime.
I really like the Prime. I have a second one on a 5.5g QT tank. I like the form factor and I think it is probably the best light for the money out there. I'm sure that using multiples cures the directional issues pretty well. I'd love to get a rimless, low-iron 40 breeder size tank but the prices are out of my league. Three Primes would be the bomb on it.

I'd love to try the XR15 as well but it's a little rich for my blood. I only have a little 15g tank. It shouldn't need a $400+ light to thrive.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Prime. I have a second one on a 5.5g QT tank. I like the form factor and I think it is probably the best light for the money out there. I'm sure that using multiples cures the directional issues pretty well. I'd love to get a rimless, low-iron 40 breeder size tank but the prices are out of my league. Three Primes would be the bomb on it.

I'd love to try the XR15 as well but it's a little rich for my blood. I only have a little 15g tank. It shouldn't need a $400+ light to thrive.
The prime is your best bet the . I’ve had probably every generation prime (or at least AI Puck) since it came out and the primes have worked for me every single time

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back