Lighting For Nano Tank

Tetra1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm not necessarily new to reef keeping, but, been out of the hobby a few years and need some help. I need suggestions on what lighting to get for my 8 gallon nano tank with one fish for growing corals. I used to use metal halides in previous tanks, but, no longer have them. I would like to use LED ones and I have no idea what to get. Please help, thanks.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get an AI Prime 16hd. Great little light, will allow you to grow anything, and will be able to grow with you should you upgrade tanks (will work on pretty much any sized tank, you can just add more of them). The Kessil a80 would be underpowered (its only 15w) for an 8g, IMO, unless you were only growing softies and low light LPS (could probably have some lower light SPS high on the rock work). Plus with the Kessil you’d have to buy the controller separately (it’s built into the AI Prime), and it wouldn’t be useable on a larger tank should you upgrade down the line.

Last edited:

RedfishReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ReefBreeders
Do you recommend these for 10 gallon tanks? I bought the Kessil a80 and my corals seem good but heard that it is weak and gives poor PAR ratings. I know the kessil is only 15w and the reefbreeder nano led is 36w. So that’s a huge difference. Let me know some more in-depth options on it if you don’t mind.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend these for 10 gallon tanks? I bought the Kessil a80 and my corals seem good but heard that it is weak and gives poor PAR ratings. I know the kessil is only 15w and the reefbreeder nano led is 36w. So that’s a huge difference. Let me know some more in-depth options on it if you don’t mind.
The RB may be overkill for the 10g but it could also allow you to keep whatever you want. You may also want to look into the Hydra series. I don’t run those but they are widely used on smaller footprints.

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an A80 tuna blue on a Marineland portrait 5gal. I have it turned to 75%. Zoas on the bottom have to reach a little for light. The same color morph zoas at the top of my rock have short trunks and a tighter colony. Top of my rock structure is only 8” from light.

I’d say the a80 would be a bit under powered for your use. I currently only have softies in this tank.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the AI 16hd recommendations above. One of those would be “monster” of a light over your small tank. Incredibly easy to use as well. I recently got the Nero 3 power head, and the AI app is pretty great (having some limitations of course) for managing flow and lighting.

Unfortunately, recent price hikes over the last year or so have made a no-brainer choice a bit more complicated. I’d recommend checking the marketplace and in local reef groups on FB for people selling a 16hd used. They can be found for ~$150-$175 if you keep an eye out for a week or two.

Also, for what it’s worth, I have 2 16HDs over my IM 30L and love them. My only real regret was choosing the hard metal mounting brackets over the flexible arms. I didn’t put too much thought into it at the time, but looking back I wish I’d gone with those instead.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Agree with the AI 16hd recommendations above. One of those would be “monster” of a light over your small tank. Incredibly easy to use as well. I recently got the Nero 3 power head, and the AI app is pretty great (having some limitations of course) for managing flow and lighting.

Unfortunately, recent price hikes over the last year or so have made a no-brainer choice a bit more complicated. I’d recommend checking the marketplace and in local reef groups on FB for people selling a 16hd used. They can be found for ~$150-$175 if you keep an eye out for a week or two.

Also, for what it’s worth, I have 2 16HDs over my IM 30L and love them. My only real regret was choosing the hard metal mounting brackets over the flexible arms. I didn’t put too much thought into it at the time, but looking back I wish I’d gone with those instead.
I had a 16HD with the rigid mount and quite liked it. Is it the risk of rust that worries you? I had a kessil flexible mount rust before.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back