Lineatus fairy wrasse

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anybody can help me out I bought this fairy wrasse I had him in qt for 4 weeks I did 2 rounds of Prazipro would not eat much after treatment observed him and he was breathing fine also did a FW dip on him for 5 minutes nothing came off him so now he is in my display and he doesn’t swim he lays in the bottom moves around the tank a few times then stops and lays again for awhile he is not eating but looks real fat can anybody give me suggestions to what I can do there is no one bothering him in the tank he is the biggest I have a 80 gallon reef here is a video of what I mean.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's likely internal parasites...wrasses are notorious for them. Is he eating anything at all?

OP
OP
C

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No he is not eating when I did the FW dip nothing came off him at all

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These would be in his digestive track, you wouldn't see them in a freshwater dip. You might have seen white-stringy poop at some point? Either way, if he's not eating the best chance would be to get him into QT with General Cure or Metroplex dosed into the water.

Hopefully, enough medication will reach his gut and he will perk up and start eating. Once he is eating, you should feed food soaked with one of the mentioned medications + focus (binder) to treat the gut directly. 2-3 weeks, at least twice daily.

OP
OP
C

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply which medicine is better in your opinion I believe they sell general cure at my petco

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure is best in my opinion because it treats both worms (praziquantel) and flagellates (metronidazole). You'll want to use two scoops GC + one scoop focus per 1 Tbs food

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome! Keep us posted, hope you can get him turned around. He's gorgeous :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any frozen food, most of my fairy wrasses take mysis pretty readily when healthy. If you have it, a nutritional supplement (like vita-chem or selcon) can be soaked with the medication as well to help boost his immune system. But, mostly you just need him eating ANYTHING so that you can get the medicine where it needs to be.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the fish eating at all in QT, or has it gone 4 weeks without eating? Did you do the FW dip right before putting it into the display? Frankly, looks more freaked than diseased. Clowns look like they’re pushing it into the corner. I’d let things go a bit before subjecting it to more medications and stress. Let the fish acclimate. If it’s not eating, all the meds in the world aren’t going to help. What foods have you tried? Live brine is usually irresistible. Nutramar ova also, though that’s hard to find these days.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar ova also, though that’s hard to find these days.

Fish roe season is in, as a good alternative. Can get it at your local seafood market.

If you do get him eating in your display, there would be no need for the QT. The medicated feed is safe to feed in tank, just turn off flow and feed small amounts so that all the food is eaten. You could also wait to see if he does have the white-stingy poop. If the fish is eating, it’s much less urgent- if it is intestinal parasites.

OP
OP
C

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ate the first week then after that nothing my clowns just like the camera they don’t bother him at all so he has not been eating now for about 2 1/2 weeks it’s a miracle he hasn’t died

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish roe season is in, as a good alternative. Can get it at your local seafood market..

There’s something irresistible about ova that no roe I’ve ever found can quite match. Last time it was available I stocked up.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ate the first week then after that nothing my clowns just like the camera they don’t bother him at all so he has not been eating now for about 2 1/2 weeks it’s a miracle he hasn’t died

The only thing to do really is to offer a wide variety of foods and hope that something triggers a feeding response. If you can find them, live blackworms are worth a try as well.

OP
OP
C

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of scoop do I use for the medicated fish food and thanks again for all your
Help

OP
OP
C

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question when using general cure do I follow the directions which states to dose the 2nd round I wait 48 hours the question I have is do I do a water change after the first dose or the 2nd

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not fat, looks very skinny actually compared to a fat one. He does look super stressed. Not really sure what to suggest to you but you could dose prazi in your main display. Metro not so much. The stress of catching him in there might bring on the end faster. Research prazi in display first as it kills worms which could cause other problems. So research.

OP
OP
C

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was super easy to catch him even pulled him out with my hand right now he is in a qt and I dosed the water with gc I will be feeding him medicated food Thursday when the focus comes in

OP
OP
C

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way don’t mean to ask again but do I follow the directions on the general cure box thanks again

Back